HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Digestive Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/digestive-disorders/)
-   -   Is this a gluten intolerance or somthing else? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/digestive-disorders/153839-gluten-intolerance-somthing-else.html)

LMS1306 02-29-2004 08:18 PM

Is this a gluten intolerance or somthing else?

I am hoping someone may be able to shed some light on my situation.

I was diagnosed with Hashimotos Thyroiditis (autoimmune thyroid disease) nearly 4 years ago. This has made me quite unwell and has been the blame for all of my symptoms.

Recently my doctor ran some tests as he thought another condition was causing my Hashi's.

My test results have indicated I might have celiac, althought my test results aren't typical. My results are:

Endomysial AB - positive
IgA - 15
AgG <10
The lab results said the results indicated possible celiac, but were uncommon in an untreated celiac.

I went on a hypo-allergenic diet for 3 weeks (no gluten, lactose, preservatives, colours etc) and started to feel much better. I am now booked in for an endoscopy so am back on my normal diet. I never really thought I had many symptoms of gluten intolerance, but I feel much, much worse since I have resumed my normal diet.

My main symptoms have been:

weight gain (this could be from an underactive thyroid)
bloating
constipation / bouts of diahorrea
stomach upsets
heart burn
terrible fatigue :yawn:
constant dermatitis on one finger
constant allergy like itchiness
brain fog
floating stools
terrible stomach pain for 5-10 mins after a stool.

Since I have been back on my normal diet I have suffered constant upset stomachs, the fatigue has returned, I have suffered diahorrea and bloating, the dermatitis and itching have also returned.

I have been told by the doctor that there is a chance my results may have nothing to do with a gluten intolerance, and could be caused by something else such as Glandular Fever (which I have already had).

I know I will find out either way when I have the endoscopy, but I am a little inpatient and would like to know if anyone else can offer some advice in the meantime.

Kind Regards :D

don444 03-01-2004 01:31 PM

Re: Is this a gluten intolerance or somthing else?

LMS1306,
I also have Hashiís and stomach problems. I donít have celiac disease. I had bloating, gas, weight gain, and other stomach problems. At Christmas I was fed up with MDís and tests that proved nothing. I stopped sodas, chocolate, white anything including white bread. I began to lose weight, but still had gas and bloating. I reduced my wheat consumption almost to nothing and I started to feel better. Every now and then I crave bread and I have a slice of rye or whole wheat, as soon as I do I get gas and bloating which confirms my beliefs. I tried spelt bread with limited success and have now switched to rice bread which does not cause me any problems. BTW, I have managed to lose 20 pounds since Christmas.
Try eliminating one thing at a time. I suggest stopping the wheat altogether and see how you feel. Later, if you want bread, try the rice bread.
Good luck!

Robocci 03-01-2004 02:26 PM

If you find out what it is please get back to us. I have almost the same thing. I had Hpylori and took meds for that last year but recently I am having some of the problems you lited especially the

weight gain (I eat like a mouse)
bloating
bouts of diarrea
stomach upsets (better if I eat)
heart burn
Gerd
constant allergy like itchiness
terrible stomach pain until I eat

LMS1306 03-01-2004 07:59 PM

Congratulations on your weight loss Don!

I do believe without a doubt that something I am eating is causing some of my problems. I have had allergy tests done and nothing showed on them, so I have no idea what it might be. I do know that when I was on my hypo-allergenic diet of fruit, veges, meat, nuts, eggs I felt much better. If I don't get any answers from the gastro, I will have to go back on the diet and slowly introduce different things until I find the culprit.

My endoscopy is Friday so I will let you know what they say.

Cheers! :D