It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• How long does it take to digest food?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-18-2004, 05:05 AM   #1
    prometheus
    Inactive

prometheus HB User
    How long does it take to digest food?

This is a bit graphic. Yesterday evening around 7:30 I ate this salad that gave me food poisoning and I got very sick and eventually late in the night 2:30am I puke it up. Everything I've read says that it only takes 1hr-3hr to digest food, depending on the type. Well, if it only takes 1hr to digest food, something like a salad, how come there was undigested food in my throwup? Might this be because it was bad or is my digestion to blame? How long does it take to normally digest food?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2004, 08:12 AM   #2
    longtimehurtin

longtimehurtin HB User
    Re: How long does it take to digest food?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by prometheus
    This is a bit graphic. Yesterday evening around 7:30 I ate this salad that gave me food poisoning and I got very sick and eventually late in the night 2:30am I puke it up. Everything I've read says that it only takes 1hr-3hr to digest food, depending on the type. Well, if it only takes 1hr to digest food, something like a salad, how come there was undigested food in my throwup? Might this be because it was bad or is my digestion to blame? How long does it take to normally digest food?
    As Far as I know food poisoning can happen anywhere between 1-12 hours after eating. For myself I know that it takes me so long to digest food that a steak I can feel for at least three days (I have a heavy feeling in my stomache for that long) It really depends on your metabolism and if you have any type of digestive problems. Hope this helps...Not an expert just going on experience...Tanya

Old 03-18-2004, 09:42 AM   #3
    maggie39

maggie39 HB User

I've read that it can take up to 72 hours to completely digest food, although 24-36 hours is probably more typical. I think the 1-3 hour number you heard maybe refers to stomach emptying time - the time it takes for your stomach to empty food into your intestinal track. This is just a guess, but I'm wondering if the food poisoning slowed this process down. Our bodies have a lot of defense mechanisms (throwing up is one of them), perhaps you body, sensing the toxin, delayed the gastric emptying?

Old 03-19-2004, 06:28 AM   #4
    prometheus
    Inactive

prometheus HB User

hmm I guess my body must have tried to digest it for a while before eventually expelling it or perhaps it digested the parts of it that were good and expelled the rest. A lot of it was totally undigested...but I suppose a lot of things can interfere with digestion. I knew the salad was bad when I was eating it. There was just something wrong with it. Yes the 1-3 hrs refers to stomach digestion time and not bowel transit or total digestion. I heard it takes 4 hrs to digest meat well done, but I suppose it can take longer for some people? As long as I don't puke up anything else I guess I can just assume it wasn't maldigestion. Thanks

Last edited by prometheus; 03-19-2004 at 06:29 AM.

Old 03-19-2004, 08:48 AM   #5
    maggie39

maggie39 HB User

I believe your stomach doesnt really "digest" food, it just begins to break it down a bit - the major digestion is done in the intestines. So it would make sense that food you thow up (which comes out of your stomach, not your intestines) would be basically undigested.

Closed Thread