It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• BURBLES: Could These Be Abdominal Muscle Fasciculations?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-21-2004, 12:02 PM   #1
    maggiecttr
    (female)

maggiecttr HB User
    Thumbs up BURBLES: Could These Be Abdominal Muscle Fasciculations?

Hi fellow burblers! As you know, I am on a neverending quest to find out what these burbles/vibrations/ baby-kicking in my upper stomach/lower esophagus region are all about. Upper endoscopy shows no abnormalities, so I have started listening to relatives whio say "it's stress" or "it's a muscle spasm or twitch" ---looking up the latter has led me to something called Benign Fasciculation Syndrome (BFS). THere is info on this syndrome right here, but on the neurological boards, not the digestive disorders one.

I was thrown off at first, being that BFS affects voluntary muscles throughout the body, but the esophageal & stomach muscles are involuntarty in nature. However, the abdominal muscles, which cover a vast area, from the pelvis to up under the ribcage aways, are voluntary. A muscle or two in those could be twitching at times, causing these fluttering sensations. Some people on the About BFS boards have described twitches in various muscles throughout the body as "bubbling, fluttering, vibrationlike" feelings. Some even described abdominal twitches as feeling like a baby kicking (moreso like the first fluttering feelings with a baby)--I recall telling people that's the best way I could describe the burbles!

Usually, a person with BFS feels similar twitches in several rmuscles, not just one "hot spot." I have told my mother I feel burbles in my back, leg, butt cheek, etc. from time to time & wondered how that could be, if the burbles were a digestive problem.

BFS is worsened & may be brought on by stress/anxiety. Some neurologists feel ther eis a viral connection, as some people had a virus prior to it showing up. THe twitches can last from days to months to years, and ther eisn't really a treatment to stop them. Magnesium helps some people (I recall the first bout I had of the burbles in July --I took magnesiunm phosphorica as part of my regimine & the burbles *did* go away for 10 weeks.) Caffeine can exaccerbate them. (I was eating tons of chocolate the night the burbles returned in Nov.) Exercise usually worsens thenm as well. So does fatigue. Go read up on them...look under Benign Fasciculation Syndrome on the Net.

I'm really HOPING this could be it, even though no "cure" but time & de-stressing--at least there'd be a label put on these things! I plan to see my Dad's neurologist in a week or two & will be sure to report back re what he says. I'm trying to see if people on the BFS boards can link their BFS with digestive disorders....So far, I've found some who link its onset with IBS or GERD...much like some of us here! (I still have tons of gas, but no actual heartburn per se. Am on enzymes & Beano & Lact-Aid and such.)

Hugs,
    Maggie C.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2004, 03:15 PM   #2
    jossr
    (female)

jossr HB User
    Re: BURBLES: Could These Be Abdominal Muscle Fasciculations?

Great research Maggie. I'm glad you found an answer for your malady. Knowing takes some of the stress off. Good luck and feel better.

Old 03-21-2004, 07:58 PM   #3
    Tasha2003
    (female)

Tasha2003 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jossr
    Great research Maggie. I'm glad you found an answer for your malady. Knowing takes some of the stress off. Good luck and feel better.
    Maggie: At least from my physical symptoms and perspective, I couldnt make any kind of link here. It doesnt touch on the problem of the stomach noises--those high pitched annoying sounds that you "wrote" about the other day............

Old 03-22-2004, 10:09 AM   #4
    maggiecttr
    (female)

maggiecttr HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tasha2003
    Maggie: At least from my physical symptoms and perspective, I couldnt make any kind of link here. It doesnt touch on the problem of the stomach noises--those high pitched annoying sounds that you "wrote" about the other day............
    True enough! I think I have several things going on at once. Definitely very gassy. I think that one type of burbling I have may be the BFS. The "other type" with the noises & more of an up-the-throat feeling, may be something else, digestive in origin. Stress plays a big part in both, so I guess the key is to get calmed down! Praying for us both daily!

Hugs,
    Maggie C.

Old 03-22-2004, 11:18 AM   #5
    Tasha2003
    (female)

Tasha2003 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maggiecttr
    True enough! I think I have several things going on at once. Definitely very gassy. I think that one type of burbling I have may be the BFS. The "other type" with the noises & more of an up-the-throat feeling, may be something else, digestive in origin. Stress plays a big part in both, so I guess the key is to get calmed down! Praying for us both daily!

Hugs,
    Maggie C.
    Maggie: Wouldnt ya know my doctor is out this week, while I am waiting for Celiac Blood test results.
    But I have to say, I tend to lean more to the idea that for me, stress plus high fiber foods are the culprit. I went and looked up the foods that give me trouble, vs. those that do not, and sure enough the fiber content is way up there.
    I asked for the doctor-on-call to give me the results, so at least I should know something soon. If there is no Celiac there, I am going to ask about the fiber and see what they say.
    Have a blessed week, until we "speak" again!

Old 08-29-2005, 05:08 PM   #6
    Gaylord67
    (male)

Gaylord67 HB User

Today my colon is twitching it feels like it does when your eyelids have a nervous twitch...What causes this? I had this earler this Summer too. Is it stress? Gas? OR what? Any of yall had a twitching tummy or around on your left side? I looked it up its called muscle fasciculation. I wonder what causes it and how to help it? Its right on my scar where my ostamy use to be (I am now reversed). Im sorry to drive yall crazy. But I dont know who else to ask. Thanks. (I had surgery in Feb from diviticulitis..for those who haven't read on previous boards.)

Old 10-27-2006, 09:40 AM   #7
    acin00
    (male)

acin00 HB User

did you ever really find out the cause,i'm having the same baby kicks,which is the best way to put it.my fear is that i have very high cholesterol and tri's.i would really like to know what's the cause if anyone could help answer that. thanxs

Closed Thread