It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Need answeres on Diverticulitis please, am so scared

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-18-2004, 07:06 PM   #1
    DBLKLIK

DBLKLIK HB User
    Question Need answeres on Diverticulitis please, am so scared

Hello Board,
    I need some answers I hope someone can provide me with. I am going through a bout with diverticulitis. My first was 10yrs ago, in which I was hospitalized. I am now being treated as an out patient. In Sept (this yr) I had a mild problem, and was given antibiotic, and responded immediately with relief. Now I am having a bout with it again, only this time it is taking a while to get relief, and respond to the meds. I have been put on stronger antibiotics (Cipro 1000mgs) to try with Librax (antispasmodic). I have no fever (so far) my blood test showed slightly elevated white cells. I had a pelvis, and stomach sonograms which came out ok, and am going for an abdominal Ct-Scan tomorrow morning.
    What I would like to know is can diverticulitis be managed without surgery? Has anyone in here had several bouts of diverticulits, and recovered through maintenance? Is surgery the only way to go, if so can you please tell me what the severity of this surgery is? Is it painful?
    Please, any input or information on this subject would be so gratefully appreciated.. I am sooo scared..My discomfort is med to mild, and am feeling a little better today. I feel good in the morning (like normal) and good at bedtime, as mid noon is when it bothers me. How long does it take for the antibiotics to give relief...also, I have been on a lot of antibiotics on and off since January as I had pneumonia ...could I have developed an ammunity to them?
    I know I have a lot of questions, I hope they can all be answered in this board, I am 60yrs old.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2004, 10:42 PM   #2
    ken1967
    (male)

ken1967 HB User
    Re: Need answeres on Diverticulitis please, am so scared

some people can treat or keep diverticulitis with diet change but if you have had several bouts and if theyre becoming more frequent and more severe then meds might help but in my case i had my first bout last may2003, went on cipro and flagyl on and off for several months, had cat scans etc, themedswould help but once the prescription ran out the pain would re occur, i lost 70 pounds because i was so sick i couldnt eat and also the side effects of the meds made me sick,my gastro doc says im young for this to happen(36)at the time, and more than likely will need surgery , on sept 11th 2003 i went to the hospital due to severe pains and found out after catscan i had a perforated colon and had emergency resection surgery, had a colostomy bag for 3 months while i healed and then went back in dec 2003 and had the colon reconnected,theres 2 types of surgeries, laposcopic and full incision, i had full incision, healing was slow and painful, more so after the second operation, but its been 4 months now and im still alittle sore but im feeling great otherwise, you can check my other posts that ive posted and maybe they can answer more questions, please feel free to ask more questions if needed

Old 04-21-2004, 06:34 AM   #3
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User

Up on the Bowel Disorder board there is currently an active thread on diverticulitis and another started by the same person who will be having a resection in a couple of days; so you will probably find some useful info there, but that person has already decided on the surgery route.

Personally, I was in the OR within an hour of being diagnosed because by the time my problem was identified (it was only my second attack; the first one happened approaching the weekend so was gone by the time I got to the doctor and it seemed to be more flu-like) I was very infected and needed a resection. So I can't talk about managing attacks. But I have read about others who do. I'm not sure you are definitely a candidate for surgery quite yet . . . especially if you would like to avoid it. When attacks become too frequent and inconvenience life too much (room for a little individual interpretation, here), surgery is probably the best way (why continue to suffer? the surgery can be tough [especially the full incision already mentioned] but there are MANY worse things in this life).

The main non-surgery route is change in diet. Once you are over your current bout, get your water intake up as close to the recommended 2 quarts as you can. Add fiber SLOWLY!!! Regularly eating yogurt is helpful to many. Many find that eating sufficient good fats is essential to lower GI health.

I am curious about the CT. I have heard diverticulosis does not always show up on CTs.

Old 04-21-2004, 01:46 PM   #4
    DBLKLIK

DBLKLIK HB User

Thank you both for your responses. I am so sorry you both had to go through so much so young. I had pelvis, and stomach ultrasounds, that came out ok, and my blood test showed slightly elevated white cells. No fever. My discomfort is med to mild, equivalent to a headache. I would think that if I had a serious problem, I would be in more pain...right? What was your pain levels? How did they determine the severity of your colons that required surgery? My CT-scan results haven't come in yet, and I am scheduled for a colonoscopy tomorrow. My biggest fear is surgery, as of course I will have to go through it if it is necessary. It's just that I just had gallbladder removal surgery 2yrs ago, and didn't have a pleasant recovery, so that is why I am so scared. I am presently on 1000mgs of Cipro, and librax (antispasmodic) This is my 7th day on meds. This past Sat & Sunday I started to feel normal, I was so happy. Mon morn. I had the CT-scan, and had to drink liquid contrast, & it went through me all day, & I was uncomfortable again. Could that have irritated it, or am I not responding to the antibiotics? I have also been on antibiotics on and off since Feb. as I had pneumonia. Could my body be becoming immune to them? My Dr thinks this is stress related, as I am going through a very tormented situation in my life right now. I thought Diverticulitis was diet related problem? I was wondering if anyone in the boards had diverticulitis, and was able to control it through diet, or other successfully without surgery, or if it can be? This is my second bout in 10yrs.

Old 04-22-2004, 06:37 AM   #5
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User

Hi DBLKLIK,

Diverticulitis pain can get quite severe at times. One woman I know compared it with childbirth. But it certainly does not get that bad for everyone, thank goodness!

There are lots of variables in surgery. Some surgeons are ready to operate after one attack. (Personally, I think that is a little foolhardy in most cases.) Fevers are one big concern. Some land in the hospital with high fevers every couple of months. That's a good indication for surgery because you never know whether a hole might have worn through the intestinal wall and some leakage is going on (but that is not always what is going on with fevers or high white counts). Pain is largerly a matter of what you want to tolerate.

The colonoscopy ought to provide more answers for you. It will give confirmation and the extent of the condition. Then they will be able to tell you, IF they think surgery is recommended, and whether you would be a candidate for lap surgery. I understand your hesitancy, but let's wait until this test is done to talk anymore about surgery.

They give so many different, specific kinds of antibiotics these days, that work differently in the body, that I kind of doubt you could have overdone it. It's a good question for the doctor, though, especially if different doctors have been prescribing them. They do take a toll on the body though, some more than others. Because they are killing some good "biotics" along with the infectors. Are you a yogurt eater? For me it helps.

Of course, stress doesn't help anything. Some (mostly the wholistic medical types) say there is a strong connection between the emotions and the GI track. And you see the question come up quite often on boards about whether the two are related. My sister is an administrator at a private school. She has an IBS type condition during the school year but it never bothered during the summer. She attributes it to stress.

Diverticulosis/itis is generally attributed to our low fiber diet. By age 60, most Americans have developed some pockets; by age 80, virtually everyone has some. Though they may never have symptoms of any kind.

Keep us posted; and feel free to ask questions!

Old 04-23-2004, 05:41 PM   #6
    DBLKLIK

DBLKLIK HB User

Hello auntjudyg,
    Thanks again for your post. I had my colonoscopy yesterday, and my Gastro said he didn't think it was diverticulitis, he diagnosed me with IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrom) I am scheduled to see a dietitican on Monday to discuss a diet to follow for this. I am still in some pain, as I hope this will go away. I now have to search the boards, and net to see what IBS is all about, as I have no idea or information as to what it is. My Gastro told me to stop the antibiotics, and just continue with the Librax to relax the colon.
    I am in great relief that he did not mention anything about surgery. He did take some biopsy's, and I hope they come out ok. Thank you for the support, and informative information on the diverticulitis. I did have a bout with that yrs ago, and hope I never do again. I hope all is good with you, and your health. If you have any information on IBS, I'd appreciate any input you can offer me on that. Thanks again
    Sandy

Old 04-27-2004, 06:31 AM   #7
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User

Hi Sandy,

Glad you won't be facing surgery! All I know about IBS is what I have picked up on boards. My understanding is that it is kind of an umbrella diagnosis when other things (like diverticulosis, colitis, Crohn's, etc.) have been ruled out. I have also read that the eating restrictions vary among individuals. But I'm sure the dietician can steer you in the direction of what foods generally cause problems. Best wishes!

Old 04-28-2004, 07:21 AM   #8
    DBLKLIK

DBLKLIK HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Need answeres on Diverticulitis please, am so scared

Hello again,
    Sorry it took me a while to get back in the boards. I was awaiting test results, and had to have a colonoscopy. Well, my Gastro Dr said he doesn't think it is diverticulitis..he said it's Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) So, he took me off the antibiotics, and I just cont'd w/the Librax (antispasmodic) The pain has diminished some, as there is still some discomfort in that area, but very tolerable. I requested a dietitian, and he gave me a script to see one. This dietitian put me on a diet for my blood type (O positive) I have to stick to this diet for one month to see how my symptoms change. Then gradually she will add other regular foods to see what I can tolerate or what bothers me.
    Since I don't know anything about IBS, I am searching the boards, and the net to learn as much as I can about it. Thank you again for your input, and support.. Hope all is going good for you.

Old 04-28-2004, 07:26 AM   #9
    DBLKLIK

DBLKLIK HB User

Sorry I posted the same story again...I forgot I already did...lol lol Guess I'm getting senile too..lol

Closed Thread