It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• This "lump" thing is threatening to drive me insane!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-01-2004, 06:20 AM   #1
    hlynna

hlynna HB User
    This "lump" thing is threatening to drive me insane!

Were in the world does it come from? I mean it can't honestly be a lump or I wouldn't be able to swallow. The only time it goes away is when I am eating and about 10 minutes later it is back in full force. I can swallow fine. It is even there when I wake up in the morning after several hours of fasting. How can it be related to acid? The Prevacid isn't helping. In fact it may just be making it worse. I mean I used to have it on and off. It has now been constant for about 30 hours, after 5 days of Prevacid. Could it be not enough acid? Wouldn't that be funny! All these brilliant doctors telling people to take this PPI and when that doesn't work take more for longer and when that doesn't work try this one. Amazing! When I think about the numerous posts I have seen on this site with reference to this exact same "sensation" I am shocked! Think about the other people walking around with the same feeling that aren't here for representation. We should all get together and go to the doctor together and refuse to leave until they actually validify this problem. Acknowledge that the feeling is real and find out why it is happening to so many people. Sorry for the long vent! I am just so frustrated with this insane feeling!

Last edited by hlynna; 05-01-2004 at 06:21 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2004, 10:06 AM   #2
    hope2004

hope2004 HB User
    Re: This "lump" thing is threatening to drive me insane!

hlynna........What are we suppose to do????? I don't think Prevacid help me at all, and you are right about it make the symstom getting worst ( my doctor want me to take 30mg twice a day)

Old 05-01-2004, 10:17 PM   #3
    Selah4

Selah4 HB User
    Unhappy Re: This "lump" thing is threatening to drive me insane!

Hi,

Wow, I can't believe that people have the EXACT thing that I do. One Doc told me it was a thing called "Globus". He said the more you focus on it the greater the discomfort...go home...drink water....quit thinking about it.....UGH!! That worked for about two hours! I don't have to be thinking about it...it feels like my esophagus is turning inside out and soon going to come up my throat. It is a terrible feeling. I also have pain in my upper back and the back of my neck and in my chest. What to do?? Who knows?? The Docs obviously don't. We have to be proactive about our health, so I keep researching as much as I can. This condition is growing progressively worse...the pain in my chest and back is getting severe, I'm constantly on pain killers...and that can't be good for a person. Is it all related? The pain in the chest, back, shoulder and under my left arm...sometimes down to the elbow and tingling in the 4th and 5th fingers of my left hand. That is somehow related to the ulnar nerve I think. I wonder if there is something pressing on my esophagus and the inflammation is putting pressure on the nerve somehow??? I have exactly the same symptom of the lump in my throat feeling worse when I'm hungry, then I eat and it comes back about 10 minutes later. I also feel very fatigued just before I eat....weird, eh?
    Selah

Old 05-02-2004, 03:06 PM   #4
    hlynna

hlynna HB User

Selah, do a search for laryngoparyngeal reflux (LPR) on the web. I found this and think it might be the cause of my "lump" feeling. I also feel a tightness in the front of my neck/throat and sometimes a tension type feeling in the base of my neck and shoulders. Different than what it sounds like you have. It is not painful, but I have thought that a chiropractor might help me with that. You might find the LPR symptoms to fit you atleast partially. Hope this helps you some!

Old 05-02-2004, 04:04 PM   #5
    terri48

terri48 HB User

I have the same thing. I had this feeling for 5 months 11 years ago and was put on Zantac. It went away and I was symptom free for 10 years. About 8 months ago, I started having acid reflux, the acid came up into my throat in the middle of the night and burned like crazy so I went to the GI dr. I also had diarrhea. He wanted me to have an endoscopy but I refused, I was scared. I did have a colonoscopy and was fine. My family dr. put me on Prevacid 30 mg. I took it for a few weeks and then was ok. The acid came back in February, waking me up in my throat and it burned like hell. I started the Prevacid again and was fine.

I stopped it 3 weeks ago and last week got the "lump in throat feeling" and burping all day. I started the Prevacid 5 days ago and am still burping, not as much, and if I bend over, I burp and feel like the food is moving up but has not come up. My throat feels sore every now and then it feels all of a sudden burning.

Tmorrow I am going to the GI doctor and I am sure he will suggest an endoscopy which I at this point WANT. I have read so much by now that I am afraid of what permanent damage has occurred, maybe even since 11 years ago. I totally understand your frustartion with this feeling. There are charts that rate quality of life with certain diseases and this one is way up there. I am miserable!!
    The Prevacid has not removed this feeling yet. It's worse right after I eat for about an hour, then it subsides. I will let you all know the results of my endoscopy. Thanks for reading all this.

Old 05-02-2004, 05:21 PM   #6
    Readabook
    (female)

Readabook HB User

Hi all, I am wondering if the "lump" feeling could be due to a hiatal hernial.
    Just had my second endoscopy in two years due to Barrett's Esophagus. Have been on PPIs for a year or two. I started developing chronic upper right quadrant pain, so finally went off them and feel much better. Take prescription zantac now. No problem. However, despite the endoscopy last year and two barium swallow tests, this is the first time the hiatal hernia has been discovered. Because it is small and slides. So, I get that full restricted feeling as well, particularly if I am eating quickly and not chewing my food enough. So just wondering if that could be the hiatal hernia. Just a thought....

Last edited by Readabook; 05-02-2004 at 05:24 PM.

Old 07-25-2004, 12:49 PM   #7
    britishgirl2

britishgirl2 HB User
    Unhappy Re: This "lump" thing is threatening to drive me insane!

I have recently been diagnosed with LPR Reflux - I have been taking Aciphex and Nasacort AQ for almost 2 weeks - I have some days that are better than others but from what I've heard, it can take months to repair the damage that may of been caused to the throat and larynx. I have a constant feeling of a "lump" or something in my throat, actually it's more in the gland area below the ears along the jaw line at the side of the throat. This is why for weeks I figured it was sinus drainage, and my regular doctor was treating me for that with no relief. I even went to the ER one day as I felt like my throat was closing in on me.....I finally went to an ENT who diagnosed the LPR - and I'm just hoping that I'll start feeling better soon. I am so wore out from feeling like this, I am constantly tired and just want to lay down all the time, because it doesn't bother me as much when I lay down. I am trying desperately to quit smoking, and quit caffeine to see if that helps, and also changing my diet - I just want some relief!!!

Old 07-25-2004, 06:01 PM   #8
    katums828

katums828 HB User

wow im so glad i finally found other people with my symptoms! i guess it all started for me in may of this year. i thought i had mono because i felt like my lymphnodes were swollen... after 3 visits to the ER and two different ENT's, my mother told me that a friend of hers had similiar symptoms and it turned out he had GERD. i finally saw a GI doctor, and he said just by the hoarseness of my voice he thinks that i have acid reflux. britishgirl, you have the same symptoms i did-- the gland area right below my ear and my jawline and all down my neck hurt me so badly some nights, i made my boyfriend take me to the ER... it was awful! i couldnt figure it out... i thought i had everything from thyroid disease to west nile! i was depressed for most of this summer because i felt like no one could figure out what was wrong with me!

i used to be a heavy coffee drinker, and i love wine and tomatoes and everything that i shouldnt eat! this is a huge lifestyle change that i have to make, especially since i'm studying abroad in spain this upcoming school year.

aside from my sore glands/jawline, and ear pain... the lump in my throat is definitely the worst! i feel for all of you... sometimes i went into choking fits when i would eat and i couldnt even swallow my food. it has also caused me severe anxiety. i know it sounds dumb, but really... the more you think about it, the worse you feel. though the pain wont go away until you change your diet and/or take medication or whatever the doctor tells you to do... try to forget about the lump!

though i really am not happy about having acid reflux, i am so relieved that i finally figured out what the hell was wrong with me! i have had the lump sensation since i was young, and never knew how to explain it to anyone, or what caused it... but this summer it got so bad that i had it every day from when i woke up to when i slept that i had to finally see a doctor.

im sorry this response has been so long... but im sure you understand what it feels like to finally learn what is causing all this! my suggestion to all of you is do research on the internet... especially for LPR. i was put on 3 different medications before this, all did absolutely nothing for me except make my symptoms worse. another suggestion, if you have been on antibiotics for this... antibiotics kill all the benevolent bacteria, L. acidophillus, in your digestive track... and if acid reflux is your problem, a lot of times it will make your symptoms a lot worse. you can buy pills at GNC or a vitamin shop... they may not help, but anything is worth a try!

good luck to all of you... i will let you know if i find out anything more!

Old 07-25-2004, 07:14 PM   #9
    britishgirl2

britishgirl2 HB User
    Question Re: This "lump" thing is threatening to drive me insane!

Its nice to have someone else validate what we are experiencing, it's hard to explain it to anyone. With me it's not so much painful as annoying, it feels like I have cotton stuck down the side of my neck from my ears down the side of my throat.....does that sound familiar? And it often feels like sinus drainage, which i think is from post nasal drip. I was on 2 rounds of antibiotics in the last 2 months, for what was assumed to be sinus infections. So you think that could of made this worse? Does anyone else suffer from fatigue with LRP also?

Old 07-26-2004, 06:14 AM   #10
    DebraL

DebraL HB User

This is what I have figured out about the 'lump' feeling. I hope it might help someone. I've had a lot of trouble with this. I think I may have some reflux into the throat, but I think the lump feeling comes more from stress and clenching teeth at night. I think it is a muscle spasm due to anxiety. I think the problems combine to make everything worse and hard to diagnose. But since I found that Flexeril at night helped me, I think my diagnosis is as good as the several doctors I have consulted. I also think allergies fit into the mix somehow. As you can see I am still working on figuring this all out, too.

Old 07-26-2004, 07:24 AM   #11
    britishgirl2

britishgirl2 HB User

I wish I could figure this thing out, so if you find anything new please let us know. I find that the sensation of something in my neck goes away when I lay down and is much worse when standing? I am EXTREMELY tired most of the time and am also experiencing some pain and full feeling in my ears. Also in my sinuses under my eyes, I keep getting pain, now what does that have to do with the throat I don't know. Right after I was diagnosed, almost 2 weeks ago, I got this horrendous pain in my ear that went down to my jaw - the doctor said it was a muscle spasm....has anyone else experiencing any of these symptoms.

Old 07-27-2004, 08:09 AM   #12
    ced
    (female)

ced HB User

Please believe me when I tell you that I had this for two years!!! Each and every damn day I worried about this. I would sit in church and pray for my throat!! I couldn't understand what the hell this was! I always had this lump feeling on my right side, always!! I layed on the bed one day curled up in a ball and bawled to my husband that this was it for me!! Throat cancer for sure!!! You know that movie with William Hurt called The Doctor? It's about him being a doctor and getting throat cancer. Well, quite coincidently it came on two times during this period for me!! I kept thinking it was a sign! Guess what? Total anxiety!!! I promise you this is what it is. I know you think that it can't possibly be because the symptoms are so real, and they are. But trust me when I tell you, that as soon as you are able to really take your mind off of this, it will go away!

Old 07-27-2004, 11:26 AM   #13
    britishgirl2

britishgirl2 HB User

Ced,

I do have a history of panic attacks, but they have never manifested themselves in this manner before - so you are saying that this sensation in my neck/throat area is possible caused by anxiety? So I could be giving up caffeine, spicy foods, etc. and that could possibly not even help the situation?

Old 07-27-2004, 10:09 PM   #14
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

You should give them up anyway if you have throat/lump problems!!

Old 07-28-2004, 07:16 PM   #15
    katums828

katums828 HB User

britishgirl- i definitely agree with ced about the anxiety part.... but i dont think that is the complete cause of your pain. you are experiencing almost to a T exactly what i have been for the past few months now. i had the worst pain in my right ear and underneath it, i thought there was a gland there, and the pain traveled all the way down the right side of my neck... and then my right jaw started to hurt. i even thought it was because i needed my wisdom teeth out. i dont really have a history of panic attacks, but whenever i get that lump sensation in my throat, it definitely brings out intense anxiety... especially before i found out that the most likely cause was acid reflux. when you dont know whats wrong with you, often your anxiety gets so much worse.... hell, i thought i had throat cancer too! its crazy.

also... your sinus pain is most likely related also. people who have LPR and/or GERD a lot of times have a history of sinusitis... so it really is all related. LPR alone causes so much discomfort. i still have not been to the doctor for my endoscopy, my appt is on monday, but he thinks i almost definitely have acid reflux.... all my months of worrying about throat cancer and west nile!

i will keep you updated, britishgirl, ... but my best advice is to do research on the internet(or up to date books) about LPR and all its side effects and symptoms. a lot of times, when you have LPR, the lump sensation wont go away for quite some time especially if the acid reflux has caused any erosion in your esophagus... it can sometimes takes months to recover and feel normal again.

anyway, chat soon! good luck till then!

Closed Thread