It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Manometry & Ph Monitoring Tests

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-05-2004, 04:48 PM   #1
    ventcrew
    (female)

ventcrew HB User
    Unhappy Manometry & Ph Monitoring Tests

Please help! I am supposed to undergo an esophageal manometry and 24 hour PH monitoring test before I get a fundoplication. I am terrified of these tests, especially the 24 hour one. Do you constantly gag because of the probe the whole 24 hours. Can you eat or drink? What about sleep? Is is painful or just awful. I am so afraid of these tests that I am thinking of not getting the surgery.

Thanks,

Karen
    ventcrew

Last edited by ventcrew; 05-05-2004 at 04:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2004, 12:58 PM   #2
    Lia813
    Veteran

Lia813 HB User
    Re: Manometry & Ph Monitoring Tests

Karen, I have no answers for you , I haven't had those tests yet. I am going to have to schedule a manometry next week myself and I am scared to death too. So far the 24 hour probe has not been mentioned for me but it'll be after this I guess. I'm not getting anywhere . Still have chest pain on swallowing and food and pills getting hung up in my throat. I have had this since Jan 1. I have had the barrium swallow that showed a large ulceration or mass and then I had an endoscopy and it showed nothing. Everything fine. Well it is not fine. I have taken a boat load of PPI's, H2 blockers and magnesium and I will have a few better days here and there but it is not going away. They assume I have esophageal spasms. Who knows. I sure am scared too , so I feel for you. Good luck . Lia

Old 05-07-2004, 09:40 AM   #3
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
    Smile Re: Manometry & Ph Monitoring Tests

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ventcrew
    Please help! I am supposed to undergo an esophageal manometry and 24 hour PH monitoring test before I get a fundoplication. I am terrified of these tests, especially the 24 hour one. Do you constantly gag because of the probe the whole 24 hours. Can you eat or drink? What about sleep? Is is painful or just awful. I am so afraid of these tests that I am thinking of not getting the surgery.

Thanks,

Karen
    ventcrew
    Hi there Karen, having been thru all of the above (24 hr pH; manometry; fundoplication), I'll tell you how it was for me. Neither the 24 hr or manometry is an enjoyable test - in fact, I hope never to go through either one again. You can make it through, I just know it. If I can get through it, anyone can. I don't want to scare you off; I want to encourage you to go through the tests - these are ordered because obviously your doctor thinks your GERD is significant. The pH is the gold standard for documenting amount and frequency of episodes of reflux. You will undergo the manometry first since this tube is removed after the test is done. You WILL NOT be sedated (and believe me, I asked to be, but the nurses said "no"). The tube is small and will be coated with lidocaine jelly to numb your nose/throat, etc. as it goes down. I have a very sensitive gag reflex so yes, it made me gag as it entered the back of my throat (from the nose), but the sensation eased off fairly quickly. You will feel the tubing pass along - the hardest part is the need to swallow, but you can only swallow when the nurse tells you to. That's because they're taking measurements along the way for upper esophageal sphincter strength, motility/contractions of the esophagus along its path, and measurement/closure of the lower esophageal sphincter (LES). This test is required prior to fundoplication surgery so the doc can know if you're a candidate for fundo - if your esophgeal contractions/motility are out of sync or abnormal, then surgery cannot be successfully performed.

The 24 hr pH probe feels about the same going down as the manometry but then it's left in place. I was able to eat & drink, but definitely felt it every time I swallowed. I was embarrassed by the tube hanging out of my nose, so I didn't go into work the rest of the day. I basically slept all day and ate/drank very little, so my reflux was way down, and not a true indication of reflux for me. I'd already been diagnosed with early Barrett's esophagus, and the doc just wanted to prove my reflux was significant. Needless to say, because I didn't really do anything all day, reflux was much less than normal. During the time you wear the tube, you also record when you perceive reflux occurring and the time it happened so the doctor can correlate it with the actual reflux recorded by the probe. Significant reflux may indicate the need for fundoplication. If possible try to eat/drink all the things you know cause your reflux, so the doctor can actually document its occurrence. I wish I had forced myself to drink pop, coffee, eat spicy foods, etc. so my GERD would have been more noticeable.

I've posted my whole fundoplication surgery on here other times, so won't go into that whole thing again. I think you'll find it under other posts here related to fundoplication surgery since I try to respond to every post related to fundo questions. Do your own internet searches on it. I had these tests performed in 1999, but didn't actually have the surgery until 2001. I wanted to be really prepared for what I was going to have done, pros/cons, whether I really needed it, etc. I went into surgery with as much knowledge as I could find. I ended up having it done because I didn't want my Barrett's to worsen and my LES was weak, so I knew that would never improve without surgery.

Post again if you have further questions after reading my other posts about my surgery.

Good luck to you,
    Katie G

Old 05-08-2004, 09:58 AM   #4
    Gtpchic31

Gtpchic31 HB User

hi, i had the 24 hr probe also. Im only 22 and i was terrified. I also begged to be sedated and they said no. I wouldnt say its the worse thing in the world but it is definatly the most uncomfortable thing to go though. I was crying though the whole thing. THe worst was it going up my nose though my and down. I wanted to gag so bad. But it was actually really quick. I cried on and off the whole way home. The tube was annoying and i just keep sipping water. After a couple hours i got se to it. I tried to eat and drink things that made my reflux act up. When i would eat i would hold the tube by my nose so i wouldnt move when i swallowed. I also did not have any bad reflux issue. Honestly i didnt feel anything at all. I think it was because i was constantly sipping on water to help with the annoyance of the tube. Getting it removed was a breeze. the nurse to me to blow really hard out my nose as he pulled the tibe out. I didnt feel a thing the tabe being pulled off was worse. I hope this helps you out. Im the biggest wuss when it comes to tests and i made it though it. Its not easy but you really need to have it done.

Old 05-08-2004, 10:19 AM   #5
    ventcrew
    (female)

ventcrew HB User

Lia,
    Good Luck to you. I will say a prayer for you. Please post after the test. Thanks!

Karen

Old 05-10-2004, 09:45 AM   #6
    Lia813
    Veteran

Lia813 HB User

Thank you , Karen, for your prayers. As usual I am stalling ! I have not called my GP yet for him to schedule the manometry. I keep thinking, the next pill is gonna work but I know it is not. It has gone on for 4 and 1/2 mos. and I'm sure that is plenty of medicine. I still dread it, still scared, but I'm getting to the point that I can't deal with this any longer. I will call the GP by the end of the week or early next week. My 6 weeks of double PPI's and H2 blockers, magnesium, etc. is up Thursday. Sigh. I will keep you posted . Lia

Old 05-10-2004, 09:52 AM   #7
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lia813
    Thank you , Karen, for your prayers. As usual I am stalling ! I have not called my GP yet for him to schedule the manometry. I keep thinking, the next pill is gonna work but I know it is not. It has gone on for 4 and 1/2 mos. and I'm sure that is plenty of medicine. I still dread it, still scared, but I'm getting to the point that I can't deal with this any longer. I will call the GP by the end of the week or early next week. My 6 weeks of double PPI's and H2 blockers, magnesium, etc. is up Thursday. Sigh. I will keep you posted . Lia
    Please, please, please lia - call and get the tests scheduled. I know they are scary and uncomfortable, but I'm praying hard for you that you will find the strength to go through them. Please don't let yourself keep suffering - find out why your pain is so bad.

You know we're all here for you - keep us posted,
    Katie G

Old 05-10-2004, 10:07 AM   #8
    Lia813
    Veteran

Lia813 HB User

Thanks , Katie, you are so sweet to be concerned. Believe me I am getting closer to calling and having the manometry scheduled. My rational mind tells me I am accomplishing nothing by putting it off and letting it all get worse in the process. Now if my rational mind would just call the Drs office ! I will, I know I will soon as this is just not something I can fix I don't guess. I'll let you know and thank you so much for thinking about me and encouraging me. Lia

Old 07-25-2005, 02:54 PM   #9
    Gayle Van
    (female)

Gayle Van HB User

Hello Everybody
    I am Gayle and I an in progress of having the Ph testing done Yes, I am wearing the 24 hour thing and I really need some support

I was diagnosed with Barretts Esophagus and GERD 6 months ago and it was determined that I have no sphincter at the lower end of my esophagus, so I have a lot of reflux. I was supposed to have Nissen Fundoplication surgery June 3/05 but had the misfortune of being attacked by a dog and having to cancel my surgery because of infection and cellulitis in my left arm. So this was a blessing in disquise as it gave me time to get a second opinion. It turns out that the first surgeon did fundos like he was collecting trophies. My surgeon now is very cautious and is checking everything before he even considers surgery. The hospital the surgeon works at is a larger teaching hospital as opposed to a small hospital with a poor track record................so I guess I am a winner all around.....I was reading some Q & A about the 24 hour Ph testing and was wondering if anyone wanted to ask me some questions................I would be happy to answer all questions, provided you send me hugs of comfort
    Gayle

Old 07-25-2005, 05:40 PM   #10
    CarolinNC
    (female)

CarolinNC HB User

Hey, I definitely would like to hear about your tests and how it was done. I am going aug 10th to get started on the same test. I too, have take nexium for years and have got to the point that something has to be done. I had to quit my job due to the hoarsness and throat pain. Are the test painful? I am scared to death....Any info would greatly be appreciated....

Closed Thread