It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• gastroparesis caused by GERD or vice versa?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-06-2004, 01:37 PM   #1
    madara
    Inactive

madara HB User
    gastroparesis caused by GERD or vice versa?

I got nice shock today at doc office. My primary let me know that my gastric emptying test showed it took 137mins for my stomach to begin emptying contents and said something could be MS related to me. A little pow-wow between him and GI and they convinced to try this Reglan even though I terrified of it, though even pharmacist says never heard such crazy side effects as posted online.

But I still very confused. This Gastric Emptying Problem, otherwise know as Gastroparesis (I heard him use that word today) is another new disease/problem I have besides crazy GERD? Or is it reason I have such extreme GERD that been ineffective even with 80mg of Nexim a day all these years? Meaning if controled right(Gastro with reglan), finally all my crazy painful and vomitous GERD problems should finally alleve? Or is it opposite GERD caused Gastro and has to be fixed first and then other will let up?

I figured I ask in hopes someone years of dealing with these diagnosis knew because I dont know what to expect next fews week let alone rest of my life. Next apt is month away and to be honest barely get say or ask questions anyhow.

Its complete 180, as they were finally getting ready to approve/recommend a fundo, which I seen as my one salvation to sanity. Now it seems opposite, no way could ever have fundo with confirmed motility problem. Well very least they better be darn sure that 80mg of Nexium everyday last 2 years is not cause of why my stomach is emptying so slow.

PH test showed 481 refluxes: extreme gerd
    Manometry showed that LES seem quite functional
    Endo showed imflammation, gastris, nothing too major

Last edited by madara; 05-06-2004 at 01:40 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2004, 04:58 AM   #2
    kristinahere

kristinahere HB User
    Re: gastroparesis caused by GERD or vice versa?

Hi there

I am new but your post caught my attention.

I have recently been diagnosed with the delayed gastric emptying. I have severe GERD also. My problems with gastric emptying come from 25 years of eating disorders. I have been taking 80mg of nexium a day with very little relief. The GI doc put me back on reglan and it has helped some. I was on it in the past and had some bad side effects but this time it has been okay. The first few days I shook pretty badly but now I no longer do.

I hope that you get some relief from the reglan.
    kristina

Old 05-07-2004, 08:03 AM   #3
    maggiecttr
    (female)

maggiecttr HB User
    Re: gastroparesis caused by GERD or vice versa?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by madara
    Well very least they better be darn sure that 80mg of Nexium everyday last 2 years is not cause of why my stomach is emptying so slow.
    My personal theory is that the PPis reduce acid so much that one can't digest food normally anymore. My digestion *felt* more sluggish on the Nexium (40-mg./day) than off, so I tossed it after 37 days on it. I now am actually adding a bit of acidic food or drink to my meals when I eat, til my own acid kicks back in. I think undigested food pushes on the LES, causing it to relax & we ge treflux stuff going on. Just my 2 cents!

Courage!
    Maggie C.

Closed Thread