It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Can GERD cause this? Please answer, having anxiety attack

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-16-2004, 04:00 PM   #1
    hotscotch

hotscotch HB User
    Can GERD cause this? Please answer, having anxiety attack

Hi, last night I developed swollen parotid glands (at least i think they're my parotid glands - around where my jaws meet back near my ear). I did a little research and found that these are salivary glands, and people who are bulimic often have swollen parotid glands - so then I thought maybe I swollen glands are related to the acid reflux that I have - is this possible? Does anyone have any ideas? I'm going to go to the doctor but I'm having a panic attack right now - fearing that this is related to something much worse than GERD, so any help would be appreciated ASAP. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2004, 10:53 PM   #2
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Re: Can GERD cause this? Please answer, having anxiety attack

These are also lymph glands in that area and can swell if you have an infection of the ears or teeth??
    And, I have had one saliva gland swollen when it gets stopped up but it usually only happens to one at a time not both at the same time.

I have never heard that these glands are affected by GERD. I hope you are not concerned about your weight and inducing self vomiting(Bulimia Nervosa) after eating alot because it can damage the esophagus, cause electrolyte imbalances and cause saliva gland enlargement.

I wish you well---Harry

Old 08-23-2004, 07:02 AM   #3
    mmueller12

mmueller12 HB User
    Re: Can GERD cause this? Please answer, having anxiety attack

Hey hotscotch - did you ever figure out your problem. I've just been diagnosed with GERD and have similar problems and have had (on and off - mostly off) for years.

Closed Thread