It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• brand new Gerd sufferer, question about Protonix

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-12-2004, 11:15 PM   #1
    Fordy

Fordy HB User
    Question brand new Gerd sufferer, question about Protonix

My doctor prescribed protonix, I rarely have seen anyone get this, i usually see people say they have taken nexium or prilosec or other meds. Anyone know how effective protonix is? I'm in such agony, i didnt eat not one thing the other day, and am always scared of the dizziness and nausea i get whenever i eat. I got my gerd from way too much coffee, beer and fried foods and eating late at night before bed. I'm most scared of when i feel like im going to pass out and have a heart attack and get dizzy and lightheaded. ive gotten a case of anxiety now to go along with it which is making it so much worse. I cant wait til one day when i can have my morning coffee again!!! anyone knwo anything about how well protonoix works? thanks in advance, ~Matt~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2004, 06:10 AM   #2
    stixx

stixx HB User
    Re: brand new Gerd sufferer, question about Protonix

Im probably not going to have the best answer but ill share my experience with it for what its worth

Ive got a mild case of GERD, and not nearly the symptoms that youre describing. My symptom is a lot burping and belching, for which i had an Upper GI xray, and was diagnosed with mild GERD and a minor hitial hernia

I found that PROTONIX didnt do much good for me, and got better results by altering my diet. This all occured around 2 years ago

over the last year however ive been suffering from heart palpatations called PVC's they are very difficult to find a reason or casue so its been quite a mystery for me and my cardiologist as to whats casuing them. Fortunatly they are not life threatening!!!

However over the last few months Ive become thourghly convinced that the casue of theese is GERD or my digestion. Due to the fact that i would get theese heart flutters during a meal or shortly afterwards

So i finally went back on the protonix and the PVC's have diminished substantially. Ive been able to eat again, however i still stay away from caffeine, especially coffee, and alcohol

SO bottom line i guess is that teh PROTONIX should most defiantly help allieviate your symptoms, but you still need to watch what you eat and stay away from foods and drink that can aggrevate your GERD

PROTONIX is effective but its not a miracle cure

Last edited by stixx; 06-14-2004 at 06:12 AM.

Old 06-14-2004, 09:19 PM   #3
    Fordy

Fordy HB User

Thank you for your reply. It's good to know that Protonix does help out. Ive radically changed my diet and i feel a ton better than I did last week. Im far from cured but I can at least function now and relax a little and dont feel like im gonna die now. Giving up coffee is so hard for me because i love it so much. I have quit smoking and drinking and have eaten slower and smaller portions and non acidy stuff. thanks again for your reply.

Old 06-15-2004, 10:51 AM   #4
    farscape66
    Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User

Protonix made me worse. I found only prilosec worked for me. Just my experience.

Old 06-28-2004, 02:16 AM   #5
    pjcat
    (male)

pjcat HB User

Matt,

I was prescribed Protonix by my doctor about two weeks ago because of some symptoms that were similar to yours (dizziness, and chest pain) . It helped profoundly. It has only been two weeks but already I can drink coffee and soda again without feeling any symptoms at all. However, I should mention that I was never actually diagnosed with GERD (my doctor mentioned something else about stomach acid) so it might be different for you; but stick with it for I found it helped tremendously.

Hope this helps

Old 06-28-2004, 10:26 PM   #6
    Fordy

Fordy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pjcat
    Matt,

I was prescribed Protonix by my doctor about two weeks ago because of some symptoms that were similar to yours (dizziness, and chest pain) . It helped profoundly. It has only been two weeks but already I can drink coffee and soda again without feeling any symptoms at all. However, I should mention that I was never actually diagnosed with GERD (my doctor mentioned something else about stomach acid) so it might be different for you; but stick with it for I found it helped tremendously.

Hope this helps

thanks, glad you feel better and I hope I can have similiar success. I have had improvement but im far from 100 percent still. I have bad moments throughout the day and othe rmoments where i feel almost normal.Im glad to know protonix worked well for someone...

p.s. I read your other message you posted, and I like to drink, but I have given it up since my gerd situation. i know its hard especially on weekends, but just give it up for a while especially if those things happen to you again after drinking.

Old 06-29-2004, 04:39 AM   #7
    farscape66
    Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User

Keep in mind that not all of these drugs work for all people. Protonix made me sicker, Nexium had side effects, I finally settled on Prilosec which has worked for me for the last year. Sometimes you need to switch drugs.

Closed Thread