It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• I REALLY need Some Help! Any GB experts??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-26-2004, 06:18 AM   #1
    Socagrl
    (female)

Socagrl HB User
    Unhappy I REALLY need Some Help! Any GB experts??

hi. my name is Mary, I am 32 years old.

It was probably 6 months ago that I developed a very painful spot at the bottom of my ribs-slightly under them on my upper right side. When my doctor pressed on it i felt a lot of pain. I was pregnant at the time. They sent me down for ultrasound and found no stones. so they said my GB was fine! The pain finally went away and it was NOT associated with eating, it was pretty much always there for 2 weeks and finally subsided.

Now, for the past 3 months , after i had my baby, i have tenderness under my ribs under the right side. Sometimes it hurts when i press on the ribs, but mostly it feels like an ache underneath. It feels like a bruise sensation and sometimes it burns. The burning feeling can go to the left side under the rib cage as well. But what's even more painful and agravating is the pain is in my upper right back, near my shoulder blade. It feels so sore up there, and the pain is constant. Everytime i lean on my upper back, or if i dont stand up straight, it really hurts. It's just always in pain.

Does the pain i have in my upper right quadrant of my abdomen have anything to do with the pain in my upper right back and the burning i also have under my upper left ribs?

This is driving me insane. I hate it!! Does anyone have a similiar story and tell me what you think i have???

Thank you so much in advance.

Sincerely, MAry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2004, 09:20 AM   #2
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
    Smile Re: I REALLY need Some Help! Any GB experts??

Hi Mary. Just because you didn't have stones doesn't necessarily mean your gall bladder is fine. Review some of the posts here related to others' gall bladder stories/symptoms and see if their descriptions fit you. There are many, many stories here from people having or had gall bladder problems (me included).

I think you'll find other posters' stories very helpful. Don't give up until you find some answers.

Good luck to you,
    Katie G

Old 07-26-2004, 03:04 PM   #3
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User
    Re: I REALLY need Some Help! Any GB experts??

Socagirl your describing something similar to what im feeling.Gosh i hope its not the problem im having.I first started getting a pain under my right breast on the bone.It started off intermittently,every few months for a couple days a week.It started off as a feeling like pressure like something was stuck there.Then it started to happen everyweek till im now living with it everyday all day.There are times when the pain will switch to a burning pain for awhile then go back to a dull ache There are times also off and on when i will get an aching pain in my upper left hand side of my back on the bone,guess thats the shoulder bone.I noticed that when the pain under the breast bone starts to hurt most often i will get the pain in the back also.I feel like that the pain in the back and the other pain must be connected somehow.Seems that way for me.Funny how you mentioned about it feeling sore because when my problem is really acting up i use that same word to describe how its feeling for me.I wonder if we have the same thing?What kind of tests have you had so far?Take care

Old 07-26-2004, 05:55 PM   #4
    Kyssa

Kyssa HB User

To Socagrl and SuzyShop1 ~ Both of you are describing a classic gallbladder problem. Although everyone reacts differently to the same disease or disorder, the "textbook" description of gallbladder disease not only includes the upper quadrant pain by the ribs, but the pain in the upper right shoulder or shoulder blade area. Not everyone has the same symptoms, but the back/shoulder pain is a clear indication of the right quadrant pain being the gallbladder.

I complained about the same thing, and in fact it was the back pain for me that was the worst by far. I had complained about it before, but had no stones that showed in the original ultrasound, so my gallbladder was deemed to be "healthy". Eventually, after a painful episode during which I couldn't stand the pain anymore, my doctor sent me for another ultrasound, and they found "small stones" with that followup ultrasound. I was advised to have it out because of the stones...but, that said, they STILL told me (pre-surgery) that the gallbladder appeared to be "normal" and "healthy" other than the small stones.

I had the surgery recently, and it turns out my stones were the least of the problem, and my gallbladder was very diseased. I've yet to get the rest of the details, since I don't see my surgeon until the first week in August, but I was told my gallbladder was "useless" and apparently had been making me sick for a long time PRIOR to having the stones. Definitely have your gallbladder checked!! Stones do not need to be present to have a diseased gallbladder. They can check for "Murphy's sign", which is done by pressing on the gallbladder while you're in a specific position. If the gallbladder resists and the balloons back against their hand, and you involuntarily gasp in pain, that's a sign of infection and/or inflammation of the organ, with or without stones. (or so they tell me, since that's what happened to me!)

I'm not sure what other tests they do beyond the ultrasounds, since that's all I ever had. But keep complaining to your doctors and I'm sure they'll do what needs to be done. I wish I'd been more persistent with my doctor to find the cause after the first abdominal tests came back "normal" just because there were no stones. Good luck to both of you.

Old 07-26-2004, 06:33 PM   #5
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Kyssa in the beginning the doctors thought it was my gall bladder.Since then ive had 2 specific tests that they do to determine gall bladder function.The first test i was on the borderline of the acceptable percentage.The 2nd test they told me that my gall bladder was functioning at a 70% capacity.So they now say that my gall bladder is not the problem.Im running out of tests,mind you this has been going on for 16 months.They though it was crohns then celiacs now they just dont know.They then thought maybe it could be bowel related,had a colonoscopy came out fine.Next they'll probably start thinking its all in my head,(i wish).But thanks for replying to my posting anyhow.Im off tomorrow for the ole tube down the throat test .Wish me luck.Take care.

Old 07-26-2004, 06:54 PM   #6
    Kyssa

Kyssa HB User

Suzyshop1 ~ Definitely wishing you luck with your endoscopy!! Been there/done that, and the test isn't bad. Hope they come up with some kind of answer(s) for you!!

Funny, too,that you should mention Chron's, since I just got off the phone with my cousin who was diagnosed with Chron's a few years ago (he was mid-20's). Well, he just told me he has to have his gallbladder out, and that they believe the two problems are connected. I'm not surprised to hear them say his two problems are related, since everything I'm reading lately seems to indicate that many of the gastro problems (GERD, IBS, Chron's, gallbladder, etc.) go hand-in-hand. If you don't get results tomorrow, DO NOT give up, and for sure don't let them tell you it's all in your head. I was thinking they'd do that to me after telling me I was "healthy". You know you're not, right? So hang in there, and let us know how things progress. Good luck.

Old 07-26-2004, 07:00 PM   #7
    Socagrl
    (female)

Socagrl HB User

suzyshop

good luck tomorrow- i have had one before- went fine!! let me know how it goes ok!!

in so far as what you describe, i dont have pain behind my breast bone, my pain is in my upper right quadrant -near/on the lower ribs on the right side, and sometimes i feel the pain also in the lower ribs on the left side too. The pain wraps around my back. It can be tender for me to sleep on my side because my ribs hurt.
    i then get bad pain and burning that radiates to my upper right back-close to to the shoulder blade and shoulder. The characteristic of the pain is: burning, achey, sometimes little 'twitches' or 'stabs', or bruised feeling. I notice it gets worse when i get stressed out. I feel the burning traveling up. I have lots of burping and belching, and acid reflex sometimes.
    I have also had before pain in my upper left back-near the shoulder blade as well, but currently my pain pretty much resides on my upper right back!!!

be well. keep in touch.

Old 07-26-2004, 07:57 PM   #8
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Thanks guys i will keep everyone posted with my results .Take care.

Old 07-27-2004, 05:04 AM   #9
    weezee62
    (female)

weezee62 HB User

Hi Suzyshop & Socagrl ~

You seem to be describing definite signs of gallbladder problems. I described my pain in pretty much the same way ~ pain in the right upper quadrant wrapping around my left side ~ through the back and shoulder areas. I know you have had a sonogram but maybe a CT scan would be a little more accurate in showing whether your gallbladder is diseased. My sonogram was inconclusive but my CT scan clearly showed an abnormal gallbladder. I had my surgery last Tuesday and am doing fine. Hope everything works out okay for you both.

Last edited by weezee62; 07-27-2004 at 05:05 AM.

Old 07-27-2004, 10:51 AM   #10
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Weezee im running out of tests and patience.I had a ct abdominal and pelvic scan with dye,2 hida scans,upper gi small bowel series,ultrasound ,abdominal xray,colonoscopy,and today a endoscopy.Im praying that they find something anything right now ,im desperate.The doctor and surgeon both say my gall bladder function is in the mid 70s.The test showed no stonesThe only new symptom i have now is anemia,and they dont know whats causing that even.Im just wore out from the pain and worrying and not knowing.I dont sleep well at night and all because of that darn pain under my right breastbone.My siblings both have a problem with depression.If they dont find something soon im afraid im going to be headed down that road too.Ive tried to keep my hope up with every test they do just to have it dashed time and again.Sorry didnt mean to ramble on so long.Thanks for your opinion,i only wish you were right.Take care.

Old 07-27-2004, 12:35 PM   #11
    weezee62
    (female)

weezee62 HB User

Hey Suzyshop ~

Feel free to ramble as much as you need to. That's what we are all here for! This board has been a great comfort to me through all my crazy questions and last week's surgery. I hope they get to the bottom of your problems with this latest test. Know that we are thinking of you and hang in there!

Old 07-27-2004, 06:24 PM   #12
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Weezee thanks for replying to my posts.I used to post quite a bit on here ,but i dont want to seem like a whining baby.Had my endoscopy today everything when well,now just have to wait for the results.The only problem i had was when they took out my iv out ot the top part of my wrist now its alittle swollen and sore.Its now 9 at night and its still sore and swollen,guess they stuck me pretty good.My doctors a pretty good doctor.I was alittle bit uneasy before the test because i finally got to see the size of the tube they put down your throat.The last time i had the 2 done i was asleep and didnt see anything.They bout scared me to death , when i overheard the techician and the knockout guy mention the word hepatitis.The knockout guy asked me how long id had hepatitis.I was like huhhhhhhhh neverrrrrrr.Then he looked at my lipid panels and my blood work ,and said howcome hepatitis was on the paper.He said they were normal.I also told them that in the last yr i tested positive for h.pylori.Im hoping when they did the test today that they took a biopsy too.If this doesnt give me any answers i dont know where they'll head next .I'll post soon as i get any results.Take care

Old 07-27-2004, 06:50 PM   #13
    Socagrl
    (female)

Socagrl HB User

suzyshop

if i were you i would double check with your doctor about this 'hepatitis' deal. what the hell? have you been tested for that? it's a very serious disease if you in fact have it. i dont understand how someone could ask you that-where they got that information??

i bet that freaked you out!!!

Old 07-27-2004, 08:37 PM   #14
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User

You bet your life it freaked me out,when i heard him say it i thought i was going to quit breathing.Ive have every blood test known to man thats how they found out the last time i was anemic.Ive had ana test hepatitis panel lipid panel cbc serum cholesterol .They all came back negative.I was wondering to myself how in the world that got on my chart at the hospital.Matter fact last time i was at the docs to run over my tests he told me i was negative on all my tests except my ana test and my anemia problem.Ive been tested for lupus celiacs you name it .Thanks for replying.

Old 07-27-2004, 09:23 PM   #15
    Socagrl
    (female)

Socagrl HB User

ok. well thank the lord for that! seriously and no joke. Just do yourself a favor and double check with your doctor, because that should NOT have been on your chart in the hospital. Even if it is an error- just clarify with him.
    let me know.

Closed Thread