It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• GERD and Surgery..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-30-2004, 03:48 PM   #1
    LTESS

LTESS HB User
    Question GERD and Surgery..

I am working with my surgeon in having the GERD surgery and also fix a hiatal hernia. My main symptoms include severe pains in between the shoulder blades. I have had several tests to rule out other problems, ie., heart and gallbladder.undefined[/COLOR]undefined[/SIZE] This has been going on now for over a year and I am now taking PREVACID, after trying several other medicines on the market. PREVACID seems to work about 50-60% of the time, but when it doesn't work, I am miserable. My question, does the surgery really help? I also am overweight by about 80lbs and I know this adds to the problem. Why does this problem cause shoulder pains and why is it activated more when I get emotionally upset????

HELP!!!!!!!!! [/SIZE] undefined
    [/COLOR]undefined[/SIZE][/FONT[/SIZE]][/COLOR]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2004, 06:03 AM   #2
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
    Smile Re: GERD and Surgery..

Hi there - so sorry for your problems. GERD can mimic many other digestive disorders, and you may be having referred pain causing the pain in your back/shoulder area. However, one of the "classic" gall bladders symptoms is pain between the shoulder blades even though your GB tests may have been "normal." You'll see other posts from me related to GERD symptoms and related gall bladder problems even though my GB tests came back as "normal."

I too have had the Nissan fundoplication surgery to correct my GERD -I had started showing signs of early Barrett's esophagus during endoscopies and biopsies prompting me to have the surgery since my daily 40mg of Prilosec was not really helping my GERD.

I've posted my whole surgery/recovery story somewhere on these boards so will not go into all the detail again. I'm sure you can find it archived somewhere here.

I've had great success with the surgery stopping my reflux - I'm now 3 years out from surgery. My Barrett's is gone as of my last endoscopy as well. There are negatives about the surgery - I will NEVER be able to vomit again (I end up with dry heaves when I've been ill), and sometimes food does get "stuck" as it's going down, causing severe chest pain and then I have to regurgitate it back up. I can vomit only what has not reached my stomach - once the food/liquid passes the lower esophageal sphincter, it will not come back up. All my GERD symptoms of heartburn, metallic taste in my mouth, daily problems with refluxing, etc are gone, and I've been pleased that my GERD is now under control, and my Barrett's is gone. However, it is still very difficult for me to burp and sometimes I get severe chest pain from trapped gas. My doctor has offered to dilate my esophagus, but I can deal with the occasional negatives I just listed. I know others on this board have had great success with fundo; but I've also read posts from people who still have reflux after surgery. Do a lot of research on the procedure prior to making a decision. I knew back in '99 that I had Barrett's esophagus, but waited until 2001 until I was emotionally/physicall/mentally ready to have the surgery.

And yes, losing some weight may help too if you can do it. However, I was not really overweight (by maybe 15-20 lbs) prior to my surgery and was still having reflux problems.

Good luck to you and keep us posted,
    Katie G

Old 11-05-2004, 07:04 AM   #3
    Mrs. LeFave
    (female)

Mrs. LeFave HB User
    Re: GERD and Surgery..

Which surgery did you have? The one where they wrap the stomach around the esophagus? That is what my doctor wants to do and I have heard that it is an awful surgery! I had the stretta procedure already and the barrett's has gotten worse, in fact waiting for the biopsy results. How bad is the surgery?

Old 11-05-2004, 10:30 AM   #4
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mrs. LeFave
    Which surgery did you have? The one where they wrap the stomach around the esophagus? That is what my doctor wants to do and I have heard that it is an awful surgery! I had the stretta procedure already and the barrett's has gotten worse, in fact waiting for the biopsy results. How bad is the surgery?

Hi there - yes, I had the procedure where they wrap the stomach around the esophagus. Post-op recovery is not a big deal as far as pain. I've posted my entire surgical story several times, so I think you can find it on this site. If you need to have the surgery, don't avoid it. You should never let your Barrett's get worse - you are increasing your risk for cancer!

Good luck to you,
    Katie G

Old 11-05-2004, 11:31 AM   #5
    Mrs. LeFave
    (female)

Mrs. LeFave HB User

Thanks, I am just trying to get some insight into the surgery and pain involved. Have a lady here at work, who's husband had the open surgery and she is just telling me HORROR stories. I have to have the open instead of the laparscopic, due to the fact I have had 4 surgeries in the past 4 years, 2 in the last year alone. She has told me that it is horribly painful, even painful to eat. I realize all surgery comes with pain but am worried anyway.

Old 11-05-2004, 05:28 PM   #6
    Lady4489
    (female)

Lady4489 HB User

Yes, I have heard of cases where the surgery has helped a great deal... However I have also heard the oposite...
    There is a disease called Eosinophilic Gastroenteritis that is/was rare... The eosinophils naturally in our bodies gather in the GI tract and do cause damage when they degranulate...
    EGID can occur in any part of the GI tract, and a diagnosis of GERD without proper biopsies can be erroneous... Because EGID is rare, and seems to be increasing in prevalence worldwide, not all docs have seen a case of it, or are even aware..
    Food allergies seem to be a trigger for many, but often those allergies do not show up on testing...
    The only way to diagnose eos disease is by doing biopsies of all the gi tract...
    For anyone having upper GI symptoms, the Espohagus, stomach and Duodenum are necessary.. No eosinophils is normal for the eosphagus, so when there are eos in the upper esophagus it is a strong indication of eos disease...
    I am concerned when someone is contemplating the surgery and has not had EG thoroughly ruled out, because if it is eos disease the surgery won't cure the problem...
    Something to talk to your GI about...
    There is a site with more information APFED.org
    Not saying this is your problem, but just something that does mimic your symptoms..

Judy

Old 11-08-2004, 05:51 AM   #7
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi again - so sorry that you will have to have the open procedure. I would guess that recovery will be much longer, and possibly more painful. I had the laproscopic done so that's why I said recovery was no big deal.

Do lots of internet research on the procedure, and you will also read other posters' stories too. I spent 2 years researching Nissan fundoplication before I decided to have it done and read many success and horror stories as well. I felt very well informed about the risks, complications, and outcomes of the procedure. Although I will face life-long changes (e.g. never being able to vomit again), I can live with that since my Barrett's is now under complete control, and no medication in the world was going to tighten up my LES.

Good luck to you and keep us posted on what happens.

Katie G

Old 11-08-2004, 07:45 AM   #8
    Gareth_rogers

Gareth_rogers HB User

Hi I had the laparoscopic fundo done in May (almost 6 months ago) and am still recovering from it. I was in the hospital for 14 days, for the first 3 days I could not even swallow my own saliva (was told I was severely inflamed around the LES), day 5 I could sip water, day 12 I was able to start getting soup broth down. Day 13 I got some mushy food down. After getting home I then lost 7 pounds in the first week as all I could manage was a couple jars of baby food per day and some liquids. During my hospital stay all my bowels...etc stopped working because of the affects from the sedative and the pain killers. My stomach has been a nightmare from this whole shock and I find my self eating less types of food from before the surgery. I think it will take me at least a year to recover from this.
    I am now dealing with constipation and server gas pains and am lactose intolerant.....(maybe this is just a coincidence or not)...I still am not sure if I made the right decision..

Old 11-26-2004, 07:10 AM   #9
    Mrs. LeFave
    (female)

Mrs. LeFave HB User

Oh boy so NOT what I wanted to hear, but thank you for being honest. Now I am truly scared to death and surgery is a week away. I know that I can't postpone this, since I went from being diagnosed last year with Barrett's with no dysplasia, to low grade dysplasia this year. Hopefully I won't have all those problems and if I do will have to deal with them. All I know is that I do not want to end up with cancer, that has little if any chance of survival.

Old 11-26-2004, 07:41 AM   #10
    Gareth_rogers

Gareth_rogers HB User

Hi Mrs. LeFave, If I had Barrett's then I would 100 % have the surgery, you really have to take the chance. Having the stomach problems is better than cancer if you have to choose the lesser of the two evils......If you have any further questions etc contact me. I had a lot of qustions I had no one to ask when lying in the hospital bed after the surgery, the nurses god bless them were wonderful but had no idea of the complications and after effects of a fundoplication. Only after doing some web research am I now able to figure out what some of the funning noises etc and feelings I was having were. The recovery of the fundo is long and hard for most, I was fooled into thinking I would be eating pizza and coffee a few days later, how na´ve of me

Old 11-26-2004, 08:07 AM   #11
    Mrs. LeFave
    (female)

Mrs. LeFave HB User

Yes I have plent of questions, since my doctor didn't really go into detail and now that I am getting scared, of course he is not in the office today. I asked my family doctor and she pretty much said she knew nothing about it!

Old 11-29-2004, 05:51 AM   #12
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mrs. LaFave ~
    The previous poster is right about not putting off the surgery. If your Barrett's has changed in a short time period, do not put off a surgery that will potentially save your life. Not all surgical outcomes are bad, and you may breeze through with little of the trouble that's been posted.

In my fundo story, I just wanted to be up front with you so that you know there may be some downfalls to the procedure, but if you have a good surgeon, your negatives should be minimal.

My surgeon was excellent and I was well prepared for the life-changes of having difficulty burping (trapped gas can cause severe chest pain for me), and never being able to vomit. I'm 3.5 years post surgery, and would have it done again since I know my reflux is no longer damaging my esophagus, and my cancer risk is significantly reduced.

You will probably be on a liquid diet for 2-3 weeks (stock up on Ensure!), and then progress to pudding consistency to soft and finally regular. I was eating a regular diet about 6 weeks after the procedure with a laproscopic done, so I don't know how long you'll be on a modified diet with the open procedure. the weight loss was a bonus (of course, I've gained some back!), and a food processor works great for blending up your dinner if needed. You don't have to eat baby food (unless you want to!). To this day, sometimes food sticks (like bread and potatoes) if I don't chew them thoroughly. You will learn how to eat more slowly to make food easier to swallow and reduce gas buildup.

Stay away from carbonation as long as you can - you don't need to extra gas.

My thoughts & prayers are with you,
    Katie G

Old 11-29-2004, 08:00 AM   #13
    Mrs. LeFave
    (female)

Mrs. LeFave HB User

Thanks for the encourgagement. The hardest part will probably be no carbonation since I am a diet pepsi-aholic. The weight loss will be great, that is how I am trying to look at this, as a forced diet!! Was planning on stocking up on the liquids and soft foods this week, I guess now that soda won't be on the liquids list. In the mean time I plan on one last taco bell meal!!

Old 08-18-2005, 02:38 PM   #14
    sportsmom1968
    (female)

sportsmom1968 HB User

This is the second post I have read where someone stated that their Barretts was gone. You can NEVER EVER get rid of Barretts! If your doctor told you that he/she is completely incorrect. It is not a reversible disease nor is it curable. Your statements are completely false and misleading. That upsets me a great deal. I fear that many people will go ahead with the fondo surgery thinking it will be the cure for their Barretts and their cancer risk is much lower.

The only thing the surgery can do is limit any further damage and/or a worsening of Barretts. You cannot give such false information to people!!!!

Old 08-19-2005, 08:25 AM   #15
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi there - sorry to sound misleading; I'm not trying to give "false" information. All I can say is that in my personal situation, I had stage 0 dysplasia and the lab tech called it early Barrett's. After fundo, and a follow-up endo, no abnormal cells were detected. Maybe the doc biopsied a different area for each pre- and post-surgical endo, but I'm only posting what he said to me. He told me that my Barrett's was very early, and curable if I didn't let it progress.

So, to correct any misunderstandings, fundoplication surgery is conducted to STOP any more cell changes related to severe and chronic reflux. If I have given any false info about my personal case, and misled someone to a surgery they did not want or need, I'm sorry.

But the point of these messsage boards is to share our medical experiences, so that others can read through the pros/cons, and make their own informed decisions. And that's all I was attempting to do.

Katie G

Closed Thread