It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Anyone know of where I can get a list of food do's and don'ts for Gastritis/IBS/Hiata

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-08-2004, 01:25 AM   #1
    glfcrzygal

glfcrzygal HB User
    Wink Anyone know of where I can get a list of food do's and don'ts for Gastritis/IBS/Hiata

Hernia? I have been searching all over the net trying to find something. I know the usual, no tomatoes, caffine, pepper, spices, anything acidic, and chocolate? Just need to know what else is a no no and whats good...
    Thanks everyone.
    Sirrell

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2004, 08:36 AM   #2
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Re: Anyone know of where I can get a list of food do's and don'ts for Gastritis/IBS/Hiata

Sirrell,
    As you know the object is to eat a healthy diet. The best program is to eat a diet that is 75% alkaline producing food and 25% acidic type food.

This type of diet was first published in 1934 by Wiliam Howard Hay --his book is "Health via Food" and was the result of many contemporaries of that time. So, it is not a new diet. It was recommended at the time that "The Hay Diet" be balanced between 20% acid forming food and 80% alkaline forming food.
    These principles have been expanded on by others over the years but really have not changed all that much.

The Hay type diet is combinations of protein and veggies, veggies and carbs or fats, protein and fruit,or fat. Avoid eating protein and carbs. And carbs and acid fruit at the same time.
    Milk, melons and other liquids should be taken alone --- not along with other solid food.

Post #15 on the Information Archive gives a web site of acidic and alkaline foods--- notice it is informational only --- no ads.

I only drink water --- steam distilled at that. And, on occasion Gator Ade if I sweat alot in the hot summers in Charleston, South Carolina. Sodas contain alot of phosphoric acid --- the caffiene is not that bad. The problem is that all drinks are acidic some more than others and that puts a extra burden on your LIVER.
    The body is made up of 70% water and when you drink all this other acidic fluid that is not nutritional --- your liver has to convert it to water. Years ago we did not have all the preservatives, herbacides, growth harmones, etc and-- processed foods that we have today so the liver did not have to do as much as it has to do these days.

I would suggest a good diet would be a more bland diet for Gastritis. The list is not the best I have seen but it's OK. Not much about combining food types.

God Bless---Harry

PS-- With the Wind and Power outages because of Hurricane Frances I have had a time posting the pass several days. I'll write later about antioxidants and enzymes on your other thread --- I wrote but my posts got wiped out by power glitches yesterday.

Last edited by Harry; 09-08-2004 at 08:44 AM.

Old 09-11-2004, 01:50 PM   #3
    Melissa, Oregon

Melissa, Oregon HB User
    Harry--does that go for GERD/hernia too?

Is the Hay diet something I should check out for GERD, or is it for symptoms below the diaphram? Have cut way back on fat intake, but from what you're saying seems like it's allowable in combination with other things. Right now I'm going through a bad spell and am afraid to eat anything. By the way, good luck to all you folks down in the southeast. Enough already!

Last edited by Melissa, Oregon; 09-11-2004 at 01:51 PM.

Closed Thread