It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Acid Reflux is ruining my life!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-09-2004, 11:38 AM   #1
    Dreamer555

Dreamer555 HB User
    Angry Acid Reflux is ruining my life!

Hello, I've had acid reflux for years, and since medical insurance is so expensive these days I haven't been able to get it. Therefore, not able to receive the medicine I need. I feel a constant lump in my throat and sometime I will hear gurgling. My doctor told me that if I wait too long my esophagus can become eroded away and could lead to cancer. What are some good alternative treatments? I have been using primal defense, it's suppossed to get your body at the right ph level and all. Any other suggestions would help greatly. Thanks.

Last edited by Dreamer555; 09-13-2004 at 02:14 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2004, 06:15 PM   #2
    hope2004

hope2004 HB User
    Re: Acid Reflux is ruining my life!

I feel a constant lump in my throat too..I am taking Prevacid and Domperidone..but I don't feel better...my doctor don't know what else he can give me what can I do?? can someone help ..thanks

Old 09-10-2004, 01:47 PM   #3
    flyonthewall
    Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

Have you raised the head of your bed. I bought a set of plastic risers after a year of pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to do it.
    fly

Old 09-10-2004, 02:09 PM   #4
    smeg

smeg HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hope2004
    I feel a constant lump in my throat too..I am taking Prevacid and Domperidone..but I don't feel better...my doctor don't know what else he can give me what can I do?? can someone help ..thanks
    Have had acid reflux for couple of years.
    Not found cure - have to keep taking Pantoprazole enteric coated tablets 40mg one daily - works for me If you can get this med., be interested to see how you get on. Worth a try.

Smeg

Old 09-10-2004, 03:59 PM   #5
    hope2004

hope2004 HB User

Smeg...what is Pantoprazole enteric coated tablets ??? may I ask please??

Old 09-10-2004, 04:56 PM   #6
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

You guys remind me of me so much..bacuz..i also had refux for quite some time yeah like for 20 years or so..but guess what?? I went gluten free= healthy eating all natural..and, yup no more acid reflux..its totally gone and, no more losec aswell..or prevacid for that matter..so gluten might be damaging you also..you should give it a try..go gluten free, i pretty sure it will work..and, you proly won't need meds no more..after all it is for your health..

remember your health is what you make it..

Old 09-10-2004, 05:33 PM   #7
    Concerned39
    (female)

Concerned39 HB User

I too take Pantoprazole(Pantoloc).I have been taking it for about 4 years.It works really well and it is a prescription drug,not over the counter.But I do notice a lot now that I have break through heartburn even though I still take it everyday.But it is worth getting on if you can.

Old 09-11-2004, 07:25 AM   #8
    smeg

smeg HB User

Quote:
    Sorry, UK med, dont know what US equivalent is - may even be the same. Best ask your doc don't ya think?

Old 09-13-2004, 01:40 PM   #9
    yogini
    (female)

yogini HB User

I've had reflux, erosions, ulcers for over 2 yrs now. Have been on med and still have terrible heartburn. Also have hiatal hernia too small to operate. I ask Dr. for one of the two procedures for reflux and he says I am not a candidate because they are only for people that are responding to their meds. Go figure! Doesn't it seem like the procedures would be for people who don't respond to meds? I feel for you and really wish I had some good advice to offer. Good luck. Try over the counter Prilosec.

Old 09-13-2004, 02:21 PM   #10
    Dreamer555

Dreamer555 HB User
    Post Re: Acid Reflux is ruining my life!

What does it mean to go gluten free??? Also, I rarely experience heartburn, just the lump in throat and reflux.

Old 09-13-2004, 04:02 PM   #11
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

gluten free means eat healthy natural eating..
    fresh meat
    rice
    veggies
    fruits
    pure nuts
    etc...

pure spices..no powders..
    wine vinegar
    rice vinegar
    ...in other words everything has to be pure with no wheat flour in it..get it..

Old 09-14-2004, 04:05 AM   #12
    flyonthewall
    Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

Quote:
    I think it's Protonix.

Old 09-14-2004, 08:02 PM   #13
    sara52

sara52 HB User

Prilosec is available OTC now. It is 1 of 5 PPIs available in the usa and works by shutting off some of the acid pumps in your stomach..PPIs are the strongest medications available for reflux, so since you don't have ins. this might be something to look into. Alot of people also use H2 blockers such as tagamet and anti-acids such as mylanta. All of these might be helpful to you. You could also ask your Dr. about samples of PPIs...If he wants you taking them and knows you have no ins. then he could atleast give you some samples to try and see if they help your symptoms. Drs. have lots of samples, the pharmacuitical (sp) companies supple them well. Stay away from foods that trigger reflux such as fried foods, tomato products, mints, caffeine, carbonated beverages, pepper, citrus fruits, aspirins, NSAID, alcohol. Sleep with your head elevated 6-8 inches, no eating for 3-4 hrs. before lying down. I hope you get feeling better.
    Sara

Old 09-18-2004, 02:26 AM   #14
    PatNJ
    Veteran
    (female)

PatNJ HB User

Hi, Dreamer,

I'm sorry that you have been feeling so awful.

A friend of mine that the lump in the throat thing and after an upper endoscopy and upper GI series, it was determined that she had some sort of esophageal problem that was motility-related, and was put on (prescription) Propulsid, which has helped tremendously.

Re your lack of insurance: Go online and do a search (using "free prescription drugs needy" or something similar) for free or low-cost meds for patients who cannot afford them (and "needy" doesn't mean that you have to be at the poverty level). Oftentimes, the pharmaceutical companies themselves offer such programs. You might need to fill out an anonymous questionnaire to determine your eligibility online right on the spot, and then you'd need to bring a form you can ******** to your doctor for him/her to fill out. You really should check it out; it's a "well-kept secret" in the drug industry. Oh, please stay away from any "shady"-looking sites that announce "no prescription needed"!!

Good luck. Definitely consider talking to your doctor about a possible esophagus/motility problem.

Best,
    Pat

Old 09-18-2004, 06:50 PM   #15
    jimbeliever

jimbeliever HB User

Hi,
    Digestive enzymes & Rhizinate by PhytoPharmica helped my reflux caused by chronic functional dyspepsia. Try to rise your bed at least 8" on the head side. Avoid bend over too.
    Hope this helps.
    Jimmy

Closed Thread