It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Diarrhea after eating

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-25-2004, 03:28 AM   #1
    Carol45

Carol45 HB User
    Diarrhea after eating

I'm 59, female. Over the past 8 years I have had increasing Diarrhea after eating. Over time I have eliminated all foods that at any point I have eaten that were followed by Diarrhea (like in 15 minutes I got to go & continue off and on for several hours. Seems more comes out then went in). Eating out has been completely eliminated. I'm down to a diet of lots of water, 12 oz. milk, 2 donuts ( I need the surgar hit, but that's another story), 1/2 cup rice and 2-3 oz. very fresh well cooked meats and no food after 3:00 pm. (and I'm not even losing weight, darn.) Everything else seems to disagree with me, including raw veggies. I can eat some cooked, some times. I also belch alot. I take a hyperallergenic vitamine and some various healthfood pills the Dr. recommended (a few months ago). They sustain what I need that I can't get from food.

My grandma (40 + years ago at the same age mine started) had the same exact problem. The doctors back then did nothing but botch it up and ultimately killed her. No percise diagnosis. When mine started, I worked up the courage to get tests and although this was only 8 years ago, they almost killed me. They found no abnormalities. Needless to say, I have no confidence in any of them where my intestines are concerned.

From reading all the posts, I definately want to keep my gall bladder. I'm not much into perscription drugs.

Anyone still with their GB and about my age having the same problems?

Thanks, Carol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2004, 09:57 PM   #2
    Charlyssa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Charlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB User
    Re: Diarrhea after eating

Hi Carol!

I'm 53 and have had this problem occasionally...especially when I'm on a diet and eating more healthily - more fruits & veggies. But, I also have IBS - do you know if you have this? You say you drink "lots" of water - I don't know how much that means, but I can tell you this...on those rare occasions when I'm constipated, my Dr. recommends drinking a lot of water!! MAYBE you're overdoing a bit with the H20???

Fatty foods can also cause diarrhea - I can't tolerate donuts, haven't for years. LOL I would try eating more starch, maybe mashed potatoes, noodles, bread, etc., and see if this helps...but don't overdo them, either.

One thing about IBS, it really doesn't matter too much WHAT you eat - I have gotten diarrhea eating cheese, and constipation eating lots of fruit. it's more about the spasm of the bowel. And there's a bit of some strange connection to the colon and the stomach - sounds weird, but there's something about eating that stimulates it.

The other things is...as we age, so does our whole GI system. Mine has been bad for many, many years. I belch a LOT. I can belch on plain water and/or with an empty stomach.

I know none of this really helps, but at least you know now you aren't the only one so afflicted. I would talk to a Dr. about the possibility of IBS. There are meds that can help...and maybe ease up on the water a bit, too, especially if it's a bit excessive. Take care!

Hugs
    Char

Last edited by moderator4; 10-02-2004 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Quote not need repeating.

Old 09-26-2004, 05:30 AM   #3
    Carol45

Carol45 HB User

Guess I should have included, I'm 40 pounds overweight (at 5' tall, that is alot) with high cholesterol. I was normal weight & normal cholesterol with the onset of the diarrhea and up until 3 years ago. Anyway, got to stay away from the breads and potatoes as much as possible. They do agree with my insides, just not my figure. Dr. has me drinking water for the weight and to clean my system. I hate tap, so drink bottled, about 3 - 16 oz bottles a day. Started 3 weeks ago.

I talked to the gal at the health food store (which my Dr. recommended specifically because she is a nutritionist) and she says my diarrhea sounds more like certain food intollerances since I can pin point specifics. And I can have normal BM for weeks if I don't waver from the stuff I know is 'safe' to eat. Trouble is, 'safe' is so limited.

I really appreciate knowing that I'm not alone when 'eating healthy'. Most people, including my Dr., looks at me skeptically when I tell him my neck glands swell from all raw fruit & most veggies. Had the 500 pin pricks many years ago and 400+ were positive.

Also I belch for no reason too. Hours after a meal or after water. Just moving (like rolling over in bed) seems to cause me to belch.

Thanks so much for your response. I don't feel like such a neurotic knowing I'm not completely unusual.

Sincerely, Carol

Old 10-02-2004, 12:32 PM   #4
    bluepumkin

bluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB User

It's your GI system in a spasm. When you eat the spasms push the food out within minutes. You need some donnatal to ease the spasms.

Closed Thread