It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Varying abdominal pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-11-2004, 09:48 AM   #1
    bullun
    Veteran

bullun HB User
    Red face Varying abdominal pain

I'm a 26 year old generally healthy female, and for the past two months I have been suffering from various abdominal pain. Intially starting with what I would describe as a "gnawing" in my navel as hunger pains, which would did not disappate after eating, nor grow worse. This subsided and I passed it off as a viral bug going around.

Until eating breakfast (sausage,uncommon) set on an attack of abdominal cramps, chocked up to a bad bout with greasy food. However, the "gnawing" began again and another bout with sausage and a days later a muffin, of being doubled over in pain and tears. I began to think this was something more.

My doctor initially diagnosed me with a stomach ulcer, slapped me on some Nexium and said come back in a month see your regular primary physician. The Nexium seems to be doing absolutely nothing. The pain will occur typically after eating, usually fatty foods. My gallbladder was tested for stones and they've pretty ruled that out.

My pains come and go, and some days there are none. I've had bouts of a week or so with diarrhea after eating anything from a lasanga to bagels. This followed by a week or so of normal bowel movements. Not constipation. Although the intensity of the pain has descreased in my abdomen it still remains and is very frustrating. It tends to localize to the left side or navel, never the right, and Appendix has been ruled out also. It does not always seem related to food.

During my follow-up my doctors are now testing stool samples and blood results, for potential thyroid immune disorders, parasites, or fat that is not digesting correctly.

I am currently ruling out diary (at my doctors recommendation until my next visit) and gluten products (on my own hunch) from my diet.

Has anyone had similar symptoms that will seemingly disappear for a few days to a week, but return? I sincerely doubt this is a stomach ulcer and I have no other real syptoms relating to Acid Reflux /GERD etc.

Anyones thoughts or ideas would greatly be appreciated! D esperate to have my stomach back to normal! Thanks!
    -DB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2004, 10:28 AM   #2
    carotho
    (female)

carotho HB User
    Re: Varying abdominal pain

Keep pushing the docs about the gall bladder. Your symptoms, even WITHOUT stones, sound suspicious for GB disease.

It could be scarred and you wouldn't know it until it is removed. Others on these threads have had similar experiences.

Of course, you could have IBS, and various other ailments, but I'd keep pushing for more gall bladder investigation. Did they do ultrasound AND Hida Scan with CCK injection?

Two different tests -- sometimes if they don't see stones on ultrasound they give up on the gall bladder. Big mistake. Sometimes even HIDA scan is fine but GB is diseased!

Question: do you ever feel slightly nauseated for no apparent reason? A nausea that doesn't amount to anything but just is enough to bother you for a few minutes, and can even be unrelated to food? That's classic for GB trouble. Also, if dairy and greasy/fried foods bother you the most, that's another sign.

I had little tiny pains/aches in the area just under the lowest right ribs that I absentmindedly ignored until AFTER the fact when I put it all together.

Surgeon told me (I DID have stones so no problem getting them to take out the GB) I had had MANY "attacks" I was not even aware of because they could tell from all the scar tissue! I had thought I had only ONE GB "attack."

Like I said, you could have other digestive problems, but if the Nexium isn't helping, and you still have these symptoms, ask about gall bladder again. By the way, some people DO feel GB pains on the upper LEFT side of the abdomen, or in the center, around the navel, not the right side, which is typical.

As is true with the POST-op recovery, anything goes when it comes to problems/pains anywhere in the abdominal cavity. It can be a real mystery unraveling what's wrong with us much of the time.

Old 10-17-2004, 04:14 PM   #3
    bullun
    Veteran

bullun HB User

Thank you very much for your response.
    I've been experimentig elimating gluten and diary from my diet and after 3 days of this diet I have felt like a new person, or rather my old self. Although I have had no more severe attacks, and no more large bouts of diarrhea I am unsure that gluten is the cause.

Are you aware of people having "attacks" and the periods of calm? I have avoided heavy/greasy/fatty foods as fear they will cause a attack of abdominal pain or diarrhea. So that may be the reason for the calm. My dsecond visit to the doctors and they suspected possible digestive issues, such as a dairy intolerance. Nexium certainly is making no difference.

Secondly, yes I do have bouts of naseau, and certainly woke up many mornings feeling that way. This being an indication it would not be a good day for me stomach wise.

I am still investigating with the doctors on what the true source is, but will stick to this diet in order to keep the pain at bay. Only had a ultrasound done, and they did mention possible "sluding" of the gallbladder. But they are quick to toss this idea, since I do not fit the typical profile, (middle age,female and overweight as they expressed). I'm 26, average weight and female.

I'll ask about the HIDA scan. If you have any other suggestions, they're greatly appreciated. I'm still pretty baffled.

Thanks,
    Dana

Old 10-17-2004, 11:44 PM   #4
    carotho
    (female)

carotho HB User

If eliminating gluten and dairy works for you -- that's great!

Did you mean to say that they mentioned "sludging" in the gall bladder? Sludge is just tiny stones, like waxey mush. Eventually they frequently turn into actual stones. Mine were tiny and sludgey but were considered stones.

They may or may not be the cause of your discomfort, however.

I would stick to the eating habits that you feel best about, and see what happens. This isn't going to kill you, and you will either keep it at bay or it will worsen in some way.

Despite the fact that you are young and thin, you could still have gall bladder problems. The classic case is "fat, female and forty." But.... young thin girls as young as 19 or 20 have been known to have the problem. Many times it crops up during pregnancy, or just afterwards, or is a genetic situation. If any fairly close relatives have had gall bladder trouble, that's a warning sign.

Hopefully, it is NOT the gall bladder and adjusting your diet will do the trick. Keep us posted!

Old 10-18-2004, 05:18 AM   #5
    bullun
    Veteran

bullun HB User

Thanks for the input. Yes I have a friend who is 21, very slim, and just had her gallbladder removed.

Yep, they said "sluding" of the gallbladder. In the process of sorting out what my issue could be, my doctor said she really doubted it was the gallbladder, but there was a teeny possibility of that being the cause. And that it wouldn't of shown up necessarily on the ultrasound.

Thanks!
    Dana

Old 12-16-2004, 08:00 PM   #6
    prangel6520
    (female)

prangel6520 HB User

You sound like you might be suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome, if it is the problem is that there is no cure, just prevention steps like an added fiber supplement, my docter suggusted peppermint capsules. Also you might want to be test for Chrons disease, which is another intestinal disease, but more serious then irritable bowel. hope this might help.

Closed Thread