It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Left sided abdominal pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-17-2004, 10:08 AM   #1
    arkaf

arkaf HB User
    Left sided abdominal pain

Hello, I am new to this board.
    I have been having this pain on and off for quite some time but it seems it's happening more often now.
    It's not a sharp pain, it just seems to sit comfortably in the center to the left side righ below the ribcage and sometimes it even hurts in my back.
    I"ve had this for over 9 years, but it used to be only once in a while.
    Lately it seems to be more frequent and there are times that I have it everyday and then it goes away again for a while, but it always comes back.
    WHen it started I tried to figure out what made it happen. I was told I had a hyatus hernia, so I thought it might be it, and so did my doctor at that time, but later he didn't seem to be that sure anymore.
    I linked a few things to it, although I have no idea if they are related or not.
    At first I used to have it only when I was standing for long periods of time. We love to go to the autoshow and computer show and I started feeling it there . I thought it was because of standing ( and walking slowly) for so long. WHen I would sit down it would go away. But usually I would sit down to eat so I thought maybe it was because I was hungry. It still happens more when I stand for a long time, but now it seems to happen if I"m stressed too. I teach and sometimes my days are pretty stressful. I noticed that if I had a really trying class in the morning by afternoon I would be feeling this pain - then again I am mostly standing in the class so there we go back to standing for a long time again -.
    It's scaring me though that lately it hurts even if I'm not standing or hungry.
    I do not have indegestion nor do I seem to have any special stomach problems ( although I thought that maybe it could be an ulcer as well ).
    I am 43 years old - so this would have started around 34 -which by the way is also the time where I started to be overweight.
    ANybody had any ideas of what this could be?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2004, 02:13 PM   #2
    twisten
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twisten HB User
    Re: Left sided abdominal pain

I had a similar type pain in the same area. Doctors were baffled until I had a colonoscopy. They then found out I had a lesion in my large intestine in the splenic flexure right where the pain was. I was totally surprised as I didn't realize the bowel reached that high. I've now been diagnosed with crohns. Have you had a colonoscopy?

Old 11-17-2004, 09:37 PM   #3
    TRIPSN1

TRIPSN1 HB User

I have very similiar pain. What does the pain feel like? My drs can't seem to find out what is causing the pain, and said left sided pain is often difficult to diagnose. I have had an US, bone scan that were both normal. I also had a CT scan and it showed a couple things, but nothing that should be causing pain that high. I also had a colonoscopy today and that was normal. I will be having laproscopic surgery tomorrow so hopefully we will get some answers.

My pain is typically also worse when standing, or having an active day...but the pain is still there when lying or sitting, just not as prominent. My pain feels like pressure pressing out from the inside. I can't figure out what triggers the pain. My pain also sometimes goes to back.

Good luck and I hope you find some answers soon.

Old 12-03-2004, 09:51 AM   #4
    Max420

Max420 HB User

Does the pain get worse RIGHT after eating? Cause I have a similar pain, in the same area but it becomes aggrivated when I eat.

Old 12-04-2004, 06:12 PM   #5
    bullun
    Veteran

bullun HB User

Max420, I'd have that checked out, it can be a sign of an ulcer I believe w/ the food connection or a food intolerance.

Old 12-25-2004, 09:52 PM   #6
    Max420

Max420 HB User

Yeah, i've had it checked out. My doc had an ultrasound done, and there was NOTHING wrong at all. He thinks it is probably IBS.

Old 01-24-2005, 03:17 PM   #7
    hallmatt
    (male)

hallmatt HB User

Sorry for the late reply, but Max, you might want to consider a HIDA Scan with CCK Injection. That will measure how much your gallbladder is able to eject. Anything lower than about 30% (I think) is abnormal. Mine was something like 11% so I had it removed. That stopped the bloating I was having at the time (1 year ago) but now the left sided "pressure from the inside" is back under my ribs.

The problem with the left side is there's so much there. Bottom of stomach (I think), intestines, pancreas, spleen. Maybe more that could get inflamed.

With the right side, they can usually narrow it down faster. If eating makes it worse, could be gallbladder. If eating makes it better, could be ulcer or something else related to GERD.

Closed Thread