It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Help! need info on colon cancer..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-17-2004, 11:58 PM   #1
    jul04

jul04 HB User
    Unhappy Help! need info on colon cancer..

hi, im a 23 yr old female. A little over a year ago i had a bout of diarrea, followed by blood..i thought that perhaps i had injured myself due to the diarrea...it happened at night. then in the morning, i felt like i had to go to the bathroom, and i went, and it was just bright red blood, a lot of it..i went to the dr. who checked me out for hemmroids, and didn't find any, she also tested to see if there was blood in my stool and there wasn't any. She wanted to refer me so as i could get a colonoscopy, however, i had no insurance, and partly out of fear, i didn't get one. Now its about 1 yr later, and im so scared that i might have cancer. I have not had any more blood since then..would a home test deliver accurate results? i am not sure what to do! please help
    julie

Last edited by jul04; 11-17-2004 at 11:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2004, 05:29 AM   #2
    bullun
    Veteran

bullun HB User
    Re: Help! need info on colon cancer..

Julie, as expensive as some of these tests can be, they are worth the preventative measures. If you can afford it now I'd strongly recommend going to even just your primary physician again, explaining that you were unable to have a colonoscopy, have no longe rhad any blood in your stool and would like their opinion. Its a good sign that it has not progressed and continued bleeding. Blood in the stool can be from a variety of things, hemmroids (internal which they may not of been able to see), issues with your intestines, or even stomach ulcers that bleed etc. I would THINK that with colon cancer you would have gotten progressively worse over the past year, with more symptoms beyond bleeding. I would really have a doctor check it out, to put your mind at ease and to prevent any future ailments.

Old 11-18-2004, 11:26 AM   #3
    twisten
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twisten HB User

I agree with Bullun's reply. Unfortunately with colon cancer there are usually no symptoms until its generally too late. It probably is something like a fissure or internal hemmroids but you won't know if you don't get it tested. If you haven't had any further symptoms recently though I would take that as a good sign. Good luck and I hope you find an answer soon.

Old 11-21-2004, 05:08 PM   #4
    Lia813
    Veteran

Lia813 HB User

Twisten , you are so right. I was diagnosed with colon cancer on Nov. 1 . I had a routine colonoscopy and they could not get the tube past the sigmoid part of the colon. In a few days I would have had a bowel obstruction from this tumor and I did not have one symptom. Not one. I had my surgery 11/4 and the staples removed on 11/18. Unfortunately it is also in two of the 5 lymph nodes they removed so I will have to have chemo. That starts 12/2. A colonoscopy is the best thing to do for anyone who is worried about colon cancer or has a family history or a parent that had a polyp. Blood and other symptoms usually are internal hemmoroids etc. I know several people now with colon cancer that just had no symptoms at all. I hope I make it thru all this. It is such a shock. I never dreamed I would have colon cancer . I have Nutcracker Esophagus too which is driving me nuts. I can eat hardly any solid food. Oh well as Winston Churchill said " When going through hell, keep going. " Good luck to you all. Lia

Old 11-21-2004, 09:29 PM   #5
    twisten
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twisten HB User

Good luck with everything Lia. Did they have to take your whole bowel or just part of it? Seems to me I read somewhere that there is a herb that helps with chemo so you don't become as sick. I can't remember the name of it though so I'll do some checking and let you know. If you're interested that is??

Old 11-22-2004, 04:04 AM   #6
    Lia813
    Veteran

Lia813 HB User

Twisten, they just took the sigmoid part of the bowel. The offending section and the surrounding area and lymph nodes. They then pulled a part of the remaining bowel around and down and stapled it to the rectum. I'd be delighted if you could let me know of the herb that helps with chemo nausea. I dread that part soooooo much. I was so desperately sick in the operating room and thru out the hospital stay and even the first week at home ,from the anesthesia. I did nothing but throw up or dry heave most of that time. It was horrid and my first bout ever of such nausea. I never even had morning sickness with my children so long ago. I sure do not look forward to nausea again ! Thanks in advance for the name of the herb. I will keep you posted on my progress if you like. Lia

Old 11-22-2004, 12:45 PM   #7
    twisten
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twisten HB User

Yeah please do keep me posted Lia and as soon as I find out the name of the herb I'll let you know. Good luck with everything and take care of yourself.

Old 11-22-2004, 03:28 PM   #8
    Lia813
    Veteran

Lia813 HB User

Thanks, Twisten . Lia

Old 11-23-2004, 04:10 PM   #9
    twisten
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twisten HB User

I was just told peppermint tea helps but that's not the one I was thinking of so I'm still checking for you.

Old 11-23-2004, 05:48 PM   #10
    Lia813
    Veteran

Lia813 HB User

Thanks, Twisten. I surely need all the help I can get. I also have Nutcracker Esophagus so I can barely eat. I tell you when it rains it pours. Thanks again. Lia

Closed Thread