It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Nutcracker Esophagus.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-23-2004, 06:07 PM   #1
    Lia813
    Veteran

Lia813 HB User
    Nutcracker Esophagus.

Does anybody have this condition? It is driving me nuts. I have been suffering with chest pain, throat pain and food and pills hanging up in my throat since January. Now I am doing good to get down yogurt and pudding. I have to all but pulverize my meds to get them down. It took so much testing to even get a diagnosis and as soon as I got it I also found out I have colon cancer. The esophagus problem was put on hold while I had surgery on my colon and the offending portion cut out and resectioned. I start chemo 12/2 as it is in 2 of the 5 lymph nodes they tested. My esophagus gets worse each day and I don't even think there is much to be done for it. Does anybody know of some treatment for it? I have been preoccupied with abdominal surgery for this cancer and trying to recover from that and gearing up for chemo. I have not heard from nor has an appt been set up for the Endo Dr to see what to do about my esophagus. They all say the cancer must take precedence over any other medical probems at this time. I understand that but if my throat closes completely and I cannot even swallow water then we will have another crisis here. Thanks to anybody for any suggestions. Lia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2004, 10:24 PM   #2
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Arrow Re: Nutcracker Esophagus.

Lia,
    Sorry about all your problems!!
    My wife was diagnosed with Nutcracker syndrome about 7 years ago and would choke when swallowing food or pills mostly but not all the time.

Her Doc gave her Prilosec and it reduced stomach acid and worked for about 6 years. Then the medication made her nauseated September,2003. The Doctor wanted to try Nexium but we decided that it was acting like spasms and cramping in the esophagus and chest area so she started taking more magneium and calcium supplement in divided doses 4 times daily.
    She had been taking a Calcium/Magnesium supplement at bedtime for over 20 years to prevent Osteoporsis. But, to increase absorption you have to take it at least 3 times daily. She takes 1000mgms of calcium and 400 mgms of Magnesium daily. She has not taken any Nexium since the Doctor gave her samples for over a year now.

She also takes a homepathic remedy when needed for throat spasms--- Magnesia Phos. 6X potency. It acts within 15 to 20 minutes when she has the lumpy feeling in her throat. She has used that for at least 20 years for spasms type pain caused by her hiatal hernia.

I wish you well--- Harry

Old 11-24-2004, 04:48 AM   #3
    Lia813
    Veteran

Lia813 HB User
    Re: Nutcracker Esophagus.

Thank you , Harry, I am going to try all this. I take calcium now 1200 mgs plus D daily as I have Osteoporosis too. I will get the magnesium. I have taken magnesium before to help this and it did not work for me. I will try again though and I will get the homeopathic remedy by mail order as I live in rural Texas and there is nowhere to get it here ! I'm sorry your wife has this crazy ailment but thank goodness hers is not going on every minute of the day. Mine is all the time. I cannot even eat pudding this morning . Won't go down my throat, gets to a certain point and sticks. I had to go and throw it up. I'm about down to Ensure. I cannot eat not even one food. What a mess I am in. Thank you very much for the advice. Lia

Closed Thread