HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Digestive Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/digestive-disorders/)
-   -   2 scopes Monday...Afraid of Cancer. Questions please. (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/digestive-disorders/229766-2-scopes-monday-afraid-cancer-questions-please.html)

imvic46 12-03-2004 09:10 AM

2 scopes Monday...Afraid of Cancer. Questions please.

I am having 2 scopes done on Monday the 6th. I am most concerned about the endoscopy. I have had reflux for years. Are there any symptoms of Barretts or cancer of the esophagus that I would be displaying now if I had either of them. Is there anyone out there that knows? I am having anxiety attacks about what they are going to find. Thanks for the help.
Vickey

Trans 12-03-2004 06:19 PM

Re: 2 scopes Monday...Afraid of Cancer. Questions please.

Hi,I had the same worries as you,had my scope today and found I had gotten all worked up for nothing ,its was over and done before I knew it, got a real good nap ,all they found was that I have a hiatial hernia,I know its hard but try to relax it helps make everything go smooth.

actudan 12-03-2004 08:34 PM

Don't get worked up until you have something to get worked up over. I give the advice which I don't follow too well. The thing is that so far my worst predictions have not been right but it does cause anxiety knowing that my problem has not been diagnosed. Get your tests done and get your results and go from there. Try your best to not get worked up until you know what you are dealig with. Good luck!

imvic46 12-06-2004 09:18 AM

Hi Dan,
You were right. Had my scopes today and they were very easy. I have read a couple of your other posts recently. If you don't mind me asking, where is your pain, and what problems are you having that are not diagnosed. I am asking because what little I picked up sounded like me.
Vickey

actudan 12-09-2004 06:17 PM

Make a long story short, my problems started with gastritis and small duodenal ulcers. It took awhile for the gastritis to heal but while it was healing I began having an upper right quadrant pain that still has not gone away. It's more of a major discomfort rather than pain 90% of the time but it still bothers the heck out of me. I've had many tests and I am told that I have IBS but I have tried so many things like changing diet, medications, vitamins, herbs, etc and the discomfort never goes away. Sometimes it goes into a very dull remission but it never completely goes away. I keep bumping the IBS diagnoses because of this. I have friends with IBS and they are fine most of the time and then WHAM they are hit with an IBS attack that sends them to the restroom many times. I don't have those sort of attacks, just a dull discomfort. I believe that my doctors label my problem as IBS since they can't find anything else to call it. I am taking limbitrol and I watch what I eat most of the time and I exercise a lot which helps the most. I feel that I will have to learn to live with this problem unless things turn for the worse. If you have any more questions, don't hesistate to ask. Another poster on here is Suzyq who has problems that relate to mine, so you may want to look out for her posts too. Take care!

kevinla 12-10-2004 09:01 AM

Actudan,

Did you have the H. Pylori bacteria. I have all the symptoms of an ulcer, but no H. Pylori.

Kevin

zzzzlady 12-10-2004 09:33 AM

Actudan,

Your problem sounds verrrrrrrry similar to mine. I have had a dull discomfort for a couple of years now, and i've been living with it. My appetite is fine and my diet is okay. My discomfort basically happens about 3 hrs or so after a meal. It mimics symptoms of an ulcer, but I've had 2 upper GI tests (9 mos apart - barium swallow) and it only showed a small hiatal hernia the 1st test, and the 2nd test didn't show anything....just normal. So I'm stumped as to what this could be. I am absolutely TERRIFIED of having that endoscopy thing down the throat, but I know it's gonna come to that. Otherwise, i'll sit here and worry myself to death until I know what this is. I've tried all types of herbs and it usually does improve, but it never goes away totally. I used to be able to go for lonnnng periods of time without eating (fasting), but now I can't go any longer than 3 to 4 hours max without this dull discomfort setting in. I never feel it right after a meal....only when my stomach is empty. I can deal with whatever it is except cancer.......I'm terrified it may be something serious. I'm 46 yrs old - female, not overweight, non-smoker.

If you learn anything about your situation, please share it with us.

thanks,
Cathy

imvic46 12-13-2004 09:08 AM

Hi Dan,

I too have the IBS with upper right quadrant pain. I have had that pain for years with no stone in the gallbladder. I dont get it!! If the IBS is under control for me, the URQ pain goes away as does the reflux. What a bunch of crap this is. To make matters worse, I really have to find a way to get off of the cigs!!!!! The fact that I smoke throws me into panic attacks. I am a smoker that hates everything about smoking. I have a very high stess job and just can't seem to put them down. I hope all goes well with you.
Vic

actudan 12-13-2004 12:45 PM

Well it seems we all suffer from similar problems w/ no answers.

Kevin, I did not have H-pylori. My gastritis and ulcer was caused from nsaids and alcohol. A mistake that I will never repeat. I stress a lot too which doesn't help.

Cathy, yep we have some similar symptoms. There is a small correlation between the amount of time that has lapsed since a meal and my discomfort. The discomfort does lessen somewhat right after a meal. I too feel that I will have to live with this problem. Exercising helps a lot too. Stress doesn't help it. It also makes me get sort of panicky. What's funny is that when I get panicky I don't feel the URQ discomfort :)

Vic, you got to let go of the smokes. I gave it up 10 years ago but it wasn't easy. I have problems every now and then with panic attacks but I use Xanax. My doctor is getting where he doesn't want to give me any more but one bottle of 30 lasts me almost a year so I don't see the problem. I may try Xanax-Xr to see if it's any better.

I have been posting for awhile now calling my pain an URQ discomfort which is still partly true. However, I have a tender spot in my lower right quadrant region. If I push on the spot it hurts and will cause a lot of discomfort for about 15 minutes. Also, you can feel and hear a lot of rumbling right there throughout the day. Sometimes the gurgling makes me think it's my cell phone going off on vibrate mode (I keep my cell phone on my right hip). I plan to bring this up with the doctor on my next visit. I have mentioned this before last year but I was still associating most of my discomfort in the URQ area. Now I wondering if it's been my LRQ all along. Appendix related? Chron's? I have been checked for Chron's and I would think that one of my tests would have picked up something wrong with my appendix. In conclusion it's a selfdiagnoses think that I deal with every day until I visit my doctor again.

Take care all,

Dan

dizzyone 12-13-2004 01:21 PM

I have similar symptoms as well. I was on Zantac and it seemed to help with the gurgling and rumbling and after about 3 weeks the symptoms started coming back(I may have irritated the problem taking ibuprofen and not knowing I shouldn,t)so then I was put on Losec which helps but not 100% I have had an Upper GI, an ultrasound coming up this week, and the doctor says if it,s not resolved I may need to do the scope. This only started about 5 weeks ago, my doctor thinks stress brought it all on, but I don,t feel as stressed anymore so I don,t know why it,s not going away. My doctor feels it,s probably gastritis, but we are also doing a H Pylori test too, and if it doesn,t go away then I will get her to refer me so I can have the scope. Are any of you on medications, if so what are you taking, and how is the meds working, what kinds of tests have you had, so I can compare what I have had done and what may still need to be done. Thanks Sandra I,m sure it,s not GERD, I only have pain and rumbling in my stomach area(worst at night and after a meal) it under the rib area in the centre of the ribcage.

imvic46 12-13-2004 02:28 PM

Dizzyone,
I have had Upper GI, ultrasound, CT scan of abdomen and pelvis, and on the 6th of Dec. I had a endoscope and colonoscopy. I have IBS, Gerd, Gastritis, chronic esophaghittis and folded gallbladder. I am taking, Miralax, Nexium, and Xanax. As long as the IBS is under control, so is everything else. SO FAR!!! You could hear my stomach rumble in the next room. I hope you start to feel better. Please dont be afraid of the tests. They are all very easy. Anything else?
Vic

dizzyone 12-13-2004 04:48 PM

Hi Vic. Just to get the meds staight. Isn,t Nexium a acid blocker, Xanac an acid reducer, I,ve never heard of Miralax. I was getting worried because the meds I,m taking don,t seem to relieve everything 100%. I figured if the meds they gave me are real heavy duty meds then and I am still having problems than what I have must be pretty bad. I have not discussed what the doctor can or will give me if these meds don,t clear this up. I,ve heard if its gastritis it can take up to six weeks for it to clear up. How long have you had all these things. I,m surprised the doctors can have you on so many meds for one thing(stomach) without any major problems, I,v heard to be careful about being on the photon pump inhibitors for too long, but I have not read the reasons, I don,t think I want to know since thats what I have to take right now. Thanks Sandra

imvic46 12-13-2004 09:11 PM

Hi Sandra,
Nexium is a PPI. I know that people can take them for years without any problems at all. If you dont have to take them for life, for something like Gerd, you should not. There are more reports of pneumonia in people that take PPIs for a long time, and a (rare) report of tumors in the stomach. (very rare) Xanax is for anxiety, which I have a lot of!!! Very high stress job! Myralax is for constipation IBS. Almost all of the things I have take a while to heal and can reoccur if I dont stay on the meds. What symptoms are you still having and what are you on? I can tell you that Nexium worked better for me than Prevacid, and that the Myralax has me just about symptom free. How long have you been on the meds, and what tests have you had? Stress brought on all of this in me as well. The one medication you are on might not be strong enough for you. (Zantac) My reflux started 10 years ago. The IBS started a few months ago. Right upper quadrant pain has been there for years. All of it goes hand in hand. The scope was probably the easiest test I had. I was totally out for it. I am curious, as to why they have not done a CT scan of your abdomen and pelvis. That reveals a lot.
Let me know how you are doing.
Vic

dizzyone 12-14-2004 12:33 PM

Hi Vic. I have been having symptoms for about 6 weeks. My dotor thinks it is stress induced. I have had an upper GI and will have an ultrasound (abdominal) this week. I started Zantac 75 the first week just OTC. Then when I saw the doctor she gave me 300)mg once a day pills and they seemed to work well for about 3 weeks and then I started to slowly get some symptoms back. Last week an urgent care doctor took me off of Zantac and put me on Losec(a PPI) which seemed to improve the symptoms but only about 80-90 percent, so I don,t know what the doctor will do next, she may change the meds and/or refer to a gastro. for a scope. I,m up in Canada so if my doctor refers me it may take a while to get the appt. and then more time to still have the scope done. I was off work last week and this week, due to this and anxiety, now I have to get the doctor to fill out forms for work, and we have a claims office that goes over them and they decide if they pay you or not, even if the doctor feels you need to be off, so thats giving me anxiety too, and you can,t claim for stress leave, so I hope they accept all this other stuff as a medical condition. Thanks for all the info. Sandra Sorry symptoms I still have are some rumbling, slight burning feeling, and fast feeling of fullness if I eat, like I ate to much even if I hadn,t.

imvic46 12-15-2004 05:15 AM

I'm sorry that you have so much problems getting the medical care and time that you need to heal. It sounds like your food is digesting too slowly. It is a good sign that the new med is helping so much. I know that my anxiety makes everything so much worse. I hope that you find the relief you need. I feel for you. I have gone through this for years and would not wish it on anyone. Keep me posted as to how you are doing.
Vic