It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Could it be the gluten?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-09-2004, 08:02 AM   #1
    littlegal
    (female)

littlegal HB User
    Question Could it be the gluten?

I've been having problems with my gallbladder for about five months. For the past month - I have felt great!! I watch what I eat and don't over eat. Well... I went to an Italian restaurant the other night and ate more than I normally would. I have ate pasta before but not the garlic bread. Now I have this pain under my right rib and my right side of the abdominal area. It feels alot like a stinging, burning pain. Not really a stabbing pain. I was told I could be gluten intolerance. I've been watching what I ate due to my gallbladder but never watched for the wheat products. I noticed I ate oatmeal one morning and I got this burning pain on the right side. Does anyone know about gluten? Anything I can take for the burning irritation? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2004, 09:04 AM   #2
    quietfury
    (female)

quietfury HB User
    Re: Could it be the gluten?

Celiac Disease (gluten intolerance) is a chronic intestinal malabsorption disorder caused by gluten intolerance. Symptoms are caused by the protein in gluten called gliadin, which is found primarily in wheat. It's also in rice, corn, oats, rye, millet, and corn.

Symptoms usually appear during the first 3 years of life, once cereals have been introduced. A second peak of incidence occurs generally during your 30s.

Symptoms include:
    Pale, greasy stools
    Weight loss and signs of vitamin/mineral deficiency

Diagnosis is done by specialized blood tests and a biopsy of the small intestine.

You can also have food intolerances that are not caused by celiac disease. These can be determined by a specialized blood test.

Inflammation of the gallbladder (cholecystitis) is another thing you might want to look into. This is caused by blockage of the tube leading from the gallbladder to the duodenum. The symptoms of chronic cholecystitis are a dull but persistent ache on the right side of the abdomen underneath the ribcage. The pain is often brought on by eating, usually fatty foods.

Closed Thread