It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Sharp Abdominal Pain... ?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-22-2004, 09:39 AM   #1
    CollegeBoy21

CollegeBoy21 HB User
    Sharp Abdominal Pain... ?

I have this pain a few inches to the right of my belly button. It usually only hurts if I have to go to the bathroom or if I have just eaten a decent sized meal. The first doctor put me on Nexium for 2 weeks and it did nothing. Then they decided to give me a colonoscopy, which turned up negative... followed by a catscan, which also turned up negative. I just had an ultra sound done today on my gallbladder to see if maybe I have stones. I am 21 and my grandfather recently passed away from colon cancer so I am a little worried that maybe I am prone to something going wrong down there.

Here is the story - About 3 years ago was when the pain started. I was lifting weights and I think I moved a heavy weight in a way I shouldn't have, and it did hurt my abdominal muscle in the same area I have pain now. It hurt and I developed a slight buldge so I went to the doctor and he suggested it was just a torn muscle and said not to lift for about a month and it should heal... A month went by and I still had pain but it wasn't bad a all and the little buldge kind of went away. For the next 2 years everything was fine. This past year the pain started coming back for some reason. It started getting too painful and hurt too often to ignore any more and that is why I went to the gastroenterologist. People have suggested I might have a hernia but I think that would have shown up on the catscan? He checked for Crohn's disease but said my colon was fine, nothing at all. Also, a few weeks ago I was lifting some heavy boxes at work and I was kind of crouching and as I stood up I twisted my torso towards another stack of boxes and I had to use some extra effort to get enough height for the boxes I was holding onto the standing stack of boxes in front of me. Well, when I did that I felt a sharp pop right in my side like I had just been stabbed. It scared the heck out of me. I never felt pain like that there before. The pain stayed with me for a portion of the day and then subsided. I really just have no idea what this could be. You guys think maybe I have gall stones? Thanks for your help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2004, 05:49 PM   #2
    CollegeBoy21

CollegeBoy21 HB User
    Re: Sharp Abdominal Pain... ?

No one? I've been having pretty bad pains this weekend and an uneasy stomach (possibly not related at all), and the only thing I can think of that I am doing differently is drinking. I usually don't drink but since it's Christmas and family has been over a lot I've been drinking a bit and I just don't have much tolerance to it. I don't know if it should raise some suspicion but my abdomen has been making me feel miserable all weekend.

Old 12-25-2004, 11:02 PM   #3
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

It sounds like you tore a ligament or tendon. You should have tried cold compresses at first but now heat may help.

A homeopathic remedy Ruta Graveolens is worth a try. Also, for muscle spasms or cramping use Magnesia Phos. -- you can buy both at a health food store.

Old 12-26-2004, 08:27 PM   #4
    CollegeBoy21

CollegeBoy21 HB User

Thanks Harry. It's been suggested to me by quite a few people that I may have just torn a muscle. It is quite painful and really hurts when my stomach is full or if I have to go to the bathroom. Colonoscopy and catscan both came back with negative results... I am still waiting for the ultrasound results which come back tomorrow. Tomorrow morning I have to get a small bowel series done but if it's a torn muscle this test probably won't show anything either. What test would show a torn muscle? I am getting pretty desperate, my abdomen is killing me.

Old 12-26-2004, 08:55 PM   #5
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

The test you're conducting shows digestive problems but not spasms, cramping or a torn muscle, ligament or tendon.
    Well at least you'll know your digestive system is working!!!

The type pain you described just don't come on like most digestive problems except appendix ruputure but that would be so you would not move and your blood work would show up something.
    When you hear something "snap" -- i think you've torn something? A heating pad and being still should help.
    The homeopathic remedies will really help -- if you can get them??

I wish you well---Harry

Old 12-26-2004, 11:19 PM   #6
    CollegeBoy21

CollegeBoy21 HB User

Should I just do a Google search for homeopathic remedies? How can I know for sure that I have a muscle/tendon/ligament problem? Wouldn't the catscan have shown that? I am not sure how exactly the small bowel series is conducted, but I do know that I have to drink a bottle of barium sulfate again [yuck] so I am assuming it will be similiar/the same as the catscan. Even though they will be focusing on the small intestines, won't they still be able to see a torn muscle or something? I am not sure how clear the pictures come out, but I know that after 4 tests they should have a better idea of what is wrong than they do right now. I am feeling around my abdomen now... I thought the pain was more internal than my abdominal muscles, like inside the abdominal cavity somewhere. The pain is actually in-between my right front oblique (large abdominal muscles below the "six-pack") and the third "six-pack" muscle. Just in-between these two muscles is where the pain is. I am skinny this is how I know lol. I don't think I will see the gastroenterologist tomorrow, but if I do see some doctor I will ask him/her about the pain actually being from my abdominal muscles and not by anything internal like they all keep thinking... This has been going on for three years but only recently got worse. If it was internal I'm sure I wouldn't have lasted so long with the pain... but I can't imagine lasting this long with a torn abdominal muscle either.

Old 12-27-2004, 12:15 PM   #7
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hey Collegeboy,

After conducting all these tests, you will know what is not the problem!!

I don't know alot about what the X-rays show with muscles, tendons and ligaments but when my wife had a torn bicep tendon and rotator cuff tear it took an MRI to see if she needed surgery. She was in pain for 6 months before surgery. And 2 bio-degradable screws were used to attached the bicep tendon to her shoulder.

I guess you have no choice except to run the tests the Doctors want you to do..

Harry

Old 12-27-2004, 02:45 PM   #8
    CollegeBoy21

CollegeBoy21 HB User

Thanks for your help Harry. The downside is I still don't know what's wrong, but the upside is that I at least know that I am in pretty good health overall lol. I had the small bowel series this morning (4 hours in underwear and a thin hospital garment in a 65 degree room = NOT FUN!!) and it went pretty well. The doctor was very attractive. She was looking at my bowels in real time and palpating to see them move and gain perspective. She examined and then took a picture right about where my pain was. The results will be back in about 3 days they said. I am still waiting for the ultrasound results. I am really hoping one (or both) of these two tests will yield positive results / outcomes. I don't think it's anything serious... but who knows. I'll know in a few days hopefully. Thanks again for your help Harry.

Old 12-31-2004, 01:11 PM   #9
    CollegeBoy21

CollegeBoy21 HB User

I just got back my results... both negative.

Colonoscopy - negative (large intestine)
    Catscan - negative (large intestine)
    Ultrasound - negative (gall bladder)
    Small Bowel Series - negative (small intestine)

So it can't be a torn muscle or hernia or anything... Maybe I have an allergy to food? I've noticed that the pain onset is either when I have to use the bathroom or after I eat fatty foods (when the pain is greatest... after eating pizza and stuff - since I work at a pizzeria). If the problem was fatty food tolerance wouldn't that indicate a problem with my gall bladder? The ultrasound came up negative for the gall bladder... What other organs could it be? My kidneys are too far from the pain, and the kidneys also are towards the back right? This pain is in the front in one specific spot. Pancreas is too high. Liver is too high. Appendix is ruled out because it wouldn't be painful for this long... plus it's not as accute as appendicitis. I am at a loss and losing hope.

Old 01-02-2005, 09:04 PM   #10
    CollegeBoy21

CollegeBoy21 HB User

Do you guys think my pain could be appendix related? Everybody says it can't be appendicitis, but can't I have other problems with my appendix other than appendicitis? Kidneys is usually lower back pain which I don't have, and liver problems don't usually occur until it's too late (which I've had this pain for some time now). I've read that appendix problems are easy and hard to diagnose because the type of pains associated with them are shared with pains associated with some other organs. The appendix is a vestigial organ anyway, so I don't see why they don't just take it out. I have to call up the gastroenterologist tomorrow, but I don't know if he's the guy I should be talking to about my appendix (since it is located off the [large?] intestine he might be just the guy I want to talk to). Any ideas?

Old 01-03-2005, 10:47 AM   #11
    WUV

WUV HB User

Collegeboy21: I'm with Harry on this one. Due to the initial way the pain began and the way it came back, it really sounds like a classic muscle/ligament problem. What makes you think it "can't" be a torn muscle/ligament just because all the bowel/digestive studies were negative? These tests do not look for muscle damage. Ask your doc about the torn muscle/ligament and see what he says. CatScan & MRI show different degrees of the same areas. MRIs are generally good for muscle & bone problems. Unfortunately, when they are testing for a specific problem, they are not highlighting or looking for problems in other areas, such as the muscles. Perhaps you should be seeing an ortho rather than a gastro doc? Good Luck

Old 01-03-2005, 12:14 PM   #12
    CollegeBoy21

CollegeBoy21 HB User

Thanks WUV. I need to call the gastro doc this week and discuss the results of the tests with him. I had just been assuming that at least one of those tests might show a problem, even if it wasn't exactly what they were looking for at the time. The fact that my bowel movements are fine and I don't get sick I guess is a good sign. Yesterday I tried not to eat much at work (a pizzeria restaurant) and only had a slice of pizza and it caused some really bad pain. The thing is, that slice of pizza was in my stomach (upper-mid left part of torso) and the pain was down in the lower right quadrant of my abdomen. The pain was pretty much right after I ate the slice of pizza.... so my thinking is that as things are moving around inside going through the digestive processes, pressure is being applied to different areas as certain organs fill up at different times. SO, if it is a torn muscle/ligament like you guys are suggesting it would make sense that when I eat or feel a BM coming on that I would feel pain in my abdomen.... the pressure from digestive processes push against the muscle at different times and cause me pain. This makes sense to me, but since I'm not a doctor I really can't say for sure lol. I will talk to the gastro doc soon and hopefully he'll send me to whoever I need to see because I think he is running out of organs to look at. Thanks for your help guys.

Closed Thread