It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Need Help Could it be Pancreatitis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-04-2005, 02:55 PM   #1
    LOVEQ

LOVEQ HB User
    Need Help Could it be Pancreatitis

Hi:

I really need some support here.

I am at my wits end here....

I have been having major problems lately with my health. I have other problems with my health that I will not go into cause it does not have anything to do with what has been happening to me lately.

as of like a week and a half ago I have been have pain. pain in the lower right corner and right flank pain also pain just under my ribs as well like where your gallbladder would be, but I do not have one.

I went to the doctor and she did some basic test on me and basic blood work on me . I told her I thought it was kidney stones again cause I have had them before. So she sent me for a abdominal and a pelvic Ct Scan. with No contrast.

So after I had the test done the lady was asking me all kinds of question like have I have been having fevers and have I been having chills. She then asks me is your doctor looking at the possibility that this might be Pancreatitis?? I said I don't think so and she said well maybe they should... well that scared the **** out of me.

So yesterday I got my blood work back and it should that my Triglycerides were high. I have never had a problem with this not even when I was very heavy andI am not heavy anymore and I eat health and exercise. Then my liver test for the ALT was elevated to not real high but slightly. Also something else. Can't Remember now, but I do know its part of the liver function.

The cats can test came back today and everything is perfect.

I have read that when you drink the barium which is what I had to do that the Cat Scan may show negative for pancreatitis. Now maybe I am over reacting because of what the lady said , but its more then that. I am in a bunch of pain and I know my body better then anyone.

I tried to tell my doctor that I was still hurting and she was like well you should call your pain management doctor and tell him. What is that going to do besides cover the problem up. Anyone have any ideas for me and suggestions on how to handle this also does anyone know if I am correct about the Cat scan???

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2005, 05:58 PM   #2
    WUV

WUV HB User
    Re: Need Help Could it be Pancreatitis

LoveQ:
    Sorry you are still in such pain. Without knowing about your other health problems and the fact that the doc told you to go to your pain management I only assume you have been dealing with a lot of pain for some time related to something else. Unfortunately, doctors-when hitting dead ends-and you have prior pain/medical problems, will revert back to old conditions. BUT, pancreatitis is not out of the question. I work with a lady who has extreme pancreatic attacks and spent about 3 yrs searching for an end to her pain and trips to the ER. She finally was diagnosed with pancreatitis and has to closely monitor what she eats or she is back to the ER with a severe bout of this. Docs, ERs, etc never saw this until she did some research on her own and insisted on a specific pancreatic test which showed the problem. It is now stated, per her, that she has one of the most severe cases of this that the doctors have ever seen. Unfortunately, I do not know the whole story and name of test(s) but I am going back to work tomorrow after my gallbladder surgery. If she is at work, I will ask her to do a write up of her case for me to relay to you so you can maybe ask your doc to do the particular test(s) needed.
    God Bless and hope your pain can be relieved soon.

Old 01-05-2005, 07:26 AM   #3
    LOVEQ

LOVEQ HB User

Ohhh thank you very much for writing me back......

I feel in my heart that something is wrong. You know that we know are bodies.

That poor lady I feel for her. It must be hell for her. I understand the researching then going to the doctors and then saying what about this and then they look at you like you are crazy and making things up. It is just they do not have enough time to spend with us anymore so what else are we suppose to do, just leave our health in the hands when we know that something is wrong.

This is the way my last disease was diagnosed last time. After 15 years of going thru HELL.... I did research and brought papers in to my doctor and started to cry and said that I feel like I have this. More testing and sure enough Interstitial Cystitis, which is the disease I have. Most painful. I am over pain. I have also had my gallbladder out and that is where my problems seemed to get worse. Sorry but it is the truth for me. I would like to know where the gall stones go to once you do not have a gallbladder, cause your body still makes them. I heard your liver and your pancreas have to work harder .

I really hope I do not have this, I just wish I know what to do from here.

Thanks for your help and good luck to you..

Old 01-05-2005, 07:16 PM   #4
    WUV

WUV HB User

I spoke with my friend at work today. Unfortunately it is not easy to get a diagnosis of pancreatitis. As I said, she went a couple years in agony. She said what she finally had to do was go directly to the ER as soon as an attack happened and insist on blook work immediately. At first this was, as you said, extremely hard because they had to do their typical paperwork thing, put you in the room, etc then looked at her like she was an hysterical female. She said that the bloodwork will show it because there are two distinct enzymes that elevate when pancreatitis exists HOWEVER these levels rise and fall VERY quickly so it is IMPERATIVE that the bloodwork be completed at the exact time of an attack otherwise they will most likely come out negative. It took her about 4 trips to the ER and some hysterics with her doc to arrange to have the blood drawn in the ER at the moment she arrives. BUT, she finally worked it out and voila, she was definitely having pancreatic attacks. The rest I have basically outlined for you.
    So sorry for the interstitial cystitis. That is a really tough disease. God Bless! You do have your plate overfilled!
    Take care and Good Luck!

Closed Thread