It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Early fullness and bloating for 2 years! I just want to eat a normal size meal!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-08-2005, 10:38 PM   #1
    thebluedog
    (male)

thebluedog HB User
    Exclamation Early fullness and bloating for 2 years! I just want to eat a normal size meal!

Hi. I am a 31 year old male that has been experiencing early fullness and bloating for almost 2 years. My symptoms are:
    Early fullness when eating a meal
    Bloating in abdomen
    Usually uncomfortable fullness and aching pain in upper and middle stomach
    Bloating and fullness usually lasts for 3 to 4 hours
    No heartburn or acid reflux
    Normal bowel movements

So far I have had these tests:
    Upper GI (found a small hiatal hierna)
    Endoscopy (normal)
    Ultrasound (normal)
    CT scan (normal)
    HIDA scan (normal)
    I am scheduled to have a gastric(stomach emptying test)

Has anyone had this experience or know what this could be? I do have a small hiatal hierna (that I physically can't see) but what I've read, would not cause my symptoms. I don't experience any problems with dairy. I don't smoke, drink alcohol or caffeine, no soft drinks. I eat fairly healthy, I exercise, and I'm actual a little underweight because I can't eat as much as need to. Also, I am fairly calm and don't have any real stress in my life. I am at a loss. The only thing that I've found that seems to have some similar symptoms is dyspepsia...not certain though. I would appreciate any input.

Sincerely,
    H

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2005, 11:34 AM   #2
    Emaria
    (female)

Emaria HB User
    Re: Early fullness and bloating for 2 years! I just want to eat a normal size meal!

I don't really have a solution for you but I know how you feel. My dr. told me that I should only eat small meals due to my acid reflux. I had uterine fibroid surgery a few years back and ever since then I have a little bit of a stomach and get really bloated after meals. My dr. told me to do sit ups! LOL!

Old 02-09-2005, 03:02 PM   #3
    solaray
    (female)

solaray HB User
    Re: Early fullness and bloating for 2 years! I just want to eat a normal size meal!

I believe most doctors would diagnose your symptoms as IBS when all tests come back normal and if the doctor doesn’t believe your symptoms relate to Hiatel Hernia.

Just curious did you have a Hida Scan or
    Hida Scan with CCK (tests gall bladder function) ?

The CCK will show if the gallbladder is not functioning (contracting properly)
    This does not show up with a regular Hida Scan or Sonagram (ultrasound).

One doctor believes my symptoms are IBS and I have normal bowel movements also (once a day).
    One doctor believes I should have gall bladder removed based on Hida Scan with CCK

MY SYMPTOMS

Episodes lasting 2 weeks or more since 1999
    1. Feeling of stomach fullness all day
    2. Constant extreme stomach gas only (belching)
    3. Constant nausea
    4. Constant pressure/squeezing/soreness/achiness feeling directly below the sternum

Ocasional symptom
    5. Occasional Quick sharp horizontal shooting pains around upper abdominal area

TESTS DONE

1.Sonagram - Normal
    2.Upper G.I. Series (Barium Xray) - Normal
    3.Pylori Test - Normal
    4.Blood Test for Parasites - Normal

5. Upper Endoscopy - Hiatel Hernia
    6.Abdominal MRI - Gallbladder is physiologically distended
    7. Hida Scan with CCK- Decreased Gallbladder function 14% ejection.

Last edited by solaray; 02-09-2005 at 03:03 PM.

Old 02-13-2005, 08:16 PM   #4
    thebluedog
    (male)

thebluedog HB User
    Arrow Re: Early fullness and bloating for 2 years! I just want to eat a normal size meal!

Solaray,

I haven't really noticed a correlation between my symptoms and my diet. You seem to have a fairly good diet which is somewhat similar to mine.
    My Diet
    Whole grains
    Whole wheat bread and pasta
    Chicken, turkey
    Fish, shrimp
    Soy Milk
    Sweet potatoes
    Albacore Tuna
    Whey protein powder
    Natural peanut butter
    Almonds, Walnuts
    Honey
    Flax seed oil
    Spinach, Collard greens, brocolli
    Green Tea
    Blueberries, strawberries, kiwis

How long have you been drinking wheat grass? Wheat grass seems to one of the best things for your health. Do you grow it yourself? I just purchased some wheat grass seeds and will attempt to grow it.
    I also just started taking probiotics. Maybe that will help. And, may consider digestive enzymes.

In your earlier response, you wrote:
    One doctor believes I should have gall bladder removed based on Hida Scan with CCK
    Do you think you will have your gall bladder removed?

The information that you found on dyspepsia is very interesting. I don't think I have any imbalances.
    P.S. I looked up Dyspepsia and it mentioned quote:
    "Patients with nausea, vomiting and epigastric fullness
    may also have generalized electrolyte imbalances.
    Interesting because I just so happen to be prone to getting leg cramps (charlie horse in my calves) when I work out. and this is a symptom of electrolyte imbalance

I hope we can keep in touch. I will continue to do research and can keep you posted. And, I would like learn about what you may discover. I will have my stomach emptying test on Wednesday. Maybe that will give me some answers.

H

Old 02-15-2005, 01:40 PM   #5
    solaray
    (female)

solaray HB User

How long have you been drinking wheat grass?

I take it sometimes 2 or 3 days when I am having my episode of symptoms.
    I will have just the wheat grass/celery juice and maybe some sesame rice crackers for 2 days.

It seems to make me feel good and energized
    for the day or two
    Also, it provides a source of enzymes, vitamins, minerals, and detoxifies the liver
    I would take it everyday if it didn’t cost $5.00 each time.

Wheat grass seems to one of the best things for your health. Do you grow it yourself?
    No. I don’t think I want to spend the money on the wheat grass juice extractor machine right now. ($200. plus)

I also just started taking probiotics. Maybe that will help. And, may consider digestive enzymes.
    Cant hurt

In your earlier response, you wrote:
    Do you think you will have your gall bladder removed?

I am guessing eventually yes. Probably when I cant take it (the symptoms) any more and I get desperate. It seems to be the only option offered by doctors at this time for my symptoms.

I do not like to rush into surgery.
    I think I am going to try the following Chinese herbs when I get a chance:
    1. Chinese Bitters – helps digestive juice production
    2. Gold Coin Grass tincture – softens & crushes gallstones (My tests did not show gallstones but apparently they can exist but not be detected until actual surgery reveals it according to doctors)
    3. Coptis – Stimulates Bile flow and helps digestion
    4. Curcuma – Strengthens gallbladder & liver circulation

I hope we can keep in touch. I will continue to do research and can keep you posted. And, I would like learning about what you may discover.

Sounds good. I would like that

I will have my stomach emptying test on Wednesday. Maybe that will give me some answers.

I never had this test per say, but I am familiar with the procedure and the prescription drug that is given for Gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying)
    I believe I was given a prescription drug for this back in 1999.

Wish you well on the test.
    Hope you find what is causing your symptoms
    and receive treatment to resolve your suffering

Sincerely,
    Soloray

Old 02-17-2005, 09:55 AM   #6
    Allinasmile

Allinasmile HB User

After reading your posts, you two seem to know your stuff. I had gallbladder surgery 11/17/04 and I was feeling alright until about a week ago and it seems all of the symptoms that I had are coming back. I have noticed a drastic change after having my gallbladder removed, but undertermined at why my symptoms are coming back. Good luck you ya'll in finding out a solution.

Old 02-17-2005, 10:22 PM   #7
    thebluedog
    (male)

thebluedog HB User
    Exclamation Re: Early fullness and bloating for 2 years! I just want to eat a normal size meal!

Solaray,

I do not like to rush into surgery.
    I completely agree with you. I would not rush into surgery either. I would exhaust every possible natural approach before removing your gallbladder.

I think I am going to try the following Chinese herbs when I get a chance
    [COLOR=DarkRed]I think that may be a great idea. Allinasmile, I'm sorry to hear that your symptoms are coming back. Hopefully, it's only temporary. I saw some posts on this site with people with similiar experiences. Maybe they can give you more insight.
    Solaray, you are wealth of information. I do hope that we keep in touch!

Take Care

Last edited by Administrator; 04-23-2005 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Don't copy and paste copyrighted material.

Old 02-20-2005, 06:02 PM   #8
    maggiecttr
    (female)

maggiecttr HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Early fullness and bloating for 2 years! I just want to eat a normal size meal!

I, too, wasn't able to eat a normal-sized meal due to a full feeling after eating. This started occurring after I had been on Nexium for about 3 months. After trying *everything,* I stumbled upon enteric-coated (to avoid reflux problems) peppermint oil/ caraway seed oil capsules. Much research was done on these in Germany, where it was found their success rate equalled that of Cisapride (a medication given for gastroparesis). I take one capsule 1/2 hour before breakfast & one 1/2 hour before either lunch or dinner (depending on which meal will be larger). Miracle stuff! I eat normal meals & don't have that awful fullness. Find where to order it online by searching the term "peppermint oil/caraway seed oil capsules."

Cheers!
    Maggie C.

Old 02-23-2005, 10:59 PM   #9
    thebluedog
    (male)

thebluedog HB User

maggiecttr,

Thanks for recommendation! I have ordered Regimint (peppermint oil/caraway oil) and will give it a try. I found lots of good information regarding studies with those oils.
    It seems that the studies show significant improvements for IBS and dyspepsia.

Thanks again Maggie. I'll give an update after a few weeks.

Last edited by moderator4; 02-26-2006 at 07:31 PM. Reason: repeating Quote is not needed

Old 04-19-2005, 10:39 PM   #10
    thebluedog
    (male)

thebluedog HB User
    Thumbs down Re: Early fullness and bloating for 2 years! I just want to eat a normal size meal!

I just wanted to give an update regarding my experiment with peppermint oil/caraway oil. I have used it for 5 plus weeks and have not noticed any change. I have tried to consistently take 1 capsule of Regimint before each meal, but have not noticed any difference/change. Has anyone else tried the peppermint oil/caraway oil therapy for IBS or dyspepsia?

Anyone else have my similar problem? Any suggestions?

Old 02-25-2006, 03:06 PM   #11
    thebluedog
    (male)

thebluedog HB User
    Arrow Re: Early fullness and bloating for 2 years! I just want to eat a normal size meal!

After 3 years of no relief, I decided to go see a new GI doctor for a second opinion. I've had every major test done with no answers. See earlier part of this thread. The new GI doctor ran some further blood tests, including a test for celiac sprue, and everything came back normal. My primary care doctor even checked my thyroid and it came back normal. So, all the tests that I've ever had say that nothing is wrong with me, which is good, I guess.
    My GI doctor has diagonsed me with non-ulcer dyspepsia or functional dyspepsia. Here's a definition of dyspepsia:
    Dyspepsia is a catchall term that includes a variety of digestive problems such as stomach discomfort, gas, bloating, early fullness, belching, appetite loss, and nausea. Although many serious medical conditions can cause digestive distress, the term "dyspepsia" is most often used when no identifiable medical cause can be detected.
    My symptoms include: early fullness, bloating, stomach discomfort, and belching. So, my doctor prescribed a very very low dose tricyclic antidepressant. I resisted, but my doctor had only a prescription to offer. I was so desperate, that I decided to take the prescription. Tricyclic antidepressants can help to relax the stomach and increase appetite. I've been taking it for 2 months and noticed a moderate improvement. I can eat more now and have less bloating and belching.
    Does anyone else suffer from dyspepsia? I don't want to be dependent on a prescripton. I'm hoping for a more natural cure. I've read that hypnosis can be very helpful for people with dyspepsia and ibs. Also, artichoke leaf seems to be very beneficial. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    I just started reading a book called Restoring Your Digestive Health. So far, it seems to be a good book. It's written by the same author who wrote the popular book The Maker's Diet.

Thanks

Last edited by thebluedog; 02-25-2006 at 03:12 PM.

Old 02-25-2006, 10:27 PM   #12
    thebluedog
    (male)

thebluedog HB User

Canyondweller,
    Thanks for your response. I started this thread and all of the major tests that I've had are listed. Here they are:

So far I have had these tests:
    Upper GI (found a small hiatal hierna)
    Endoscopy (normal)
    Ultrasound (normal)
    CT scan (normal)
    HIDA scan (normal)
    Gastric(stomach) emptying test (normal)

I haven't been tested for h. pylori. That's something that I need to do. If I had h. pylori, do you my doctor would have found it during my endoscopy?

As far as acidophilus is concerned, I take a probiotic supplement that includes it. I also drink kefir that has 10 different live cultures and eat yogurt that has 8 live cultures. So, my intestinal flora should be well balanced.

Last edited by thebluedog; 02-25-2006 at 10:28 PM.

Old 02-26-2006, 08:12 AM   #13
    Earlene
    (female)

Earlene HB User

blue dog
    I have every symptom/test that you have had also. All negative except for hiatal hernia and mild gastritis and was told my gastritis was "nothing to worry about". My dr. has said that a hernia cannot cause these symptoms but what else can it be? Food is now an issue because I'm not sure if it is the food of the condition. I was also dignosed w/nonspecific dyspepsia.
    What meds are you taking now?
    I am on Prisolec, a digestive enzyme and one probiotic.
    Incidentally, my dr has also prescribed a tricyclic antidepressant but I haven't started it yet. Do you take it at night? What mg. do you take. I've just started taking an antiemetic for nausea and it seems to help a little.

Old 02-26-2006, 11:02 AM   #14
    thebluedog
    (male)

thebluedog HB User

Earlene,

The only prescription that I'm taking is a low dose tricyclic antidepressant that is a generic form of perphe****ne/amitriptyline. I take 2 10mg doses daily - one in the morning and one a night before bedtime. When I first started taking it, I was very drowsey, but after a couple weeks the side effects have subsided. I have definitely noticed an improvement. I don't have as much bloating and burping. I'm hoping to only take this prescription for only a few months. In the meantime, I'm trying to find an alternative, natural method of dealing with my condition.
    My diet is generally very healthy and am making continual improvements. I do make sure to get probiotics into my diet via yogurt, kefir, and supplements. I have started taking a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with meals, as I've read that it can enhance digestion. It's a natural source of hydrocloric acid, which is an agent that helps with digestion.
    I think that hypnosis may help. There have been positive studies done at UNC Chapel Hill that have proved to have significant improvements for people with dyspepsia and ibs. However, before attempting hypnosis, I'm trying other, more feasible approaches.

Last edited by thebluedog; 02-26-2006 at 02:05 PM.

Old 02-26-2006, 11:32 AM   #15
    Earlene
    (female)

Earlene HB User

blue dog:
    Dr. prescribled nortriptyline for me. He wants me to start with 10 mg and then go up to 25 mg. Said the same thing that your dr. said about your med. I plan to start taking it soon. I understand it takes at least 2 - 4 wks to start taking working.
    Canyondweller mentioned the LES valve and I wonder if that's what is causing these symptoms? I don't think an endoscopy shows up this particular problem. No doctor has mentioned it to me as yet. If the hiatal hernia isn't causing the problem so it seems to me maybe something related.
    Did you have health problems before this started that could lead to this?
    I was told that H-pylori is diagnosed w/endoscopic biopsy and possibly a blood test.
    "generic form of perphe*****ne/amitriptyline" - same medication?
    I would like a more natural approach also. Let me know if you find out anything else - I will do the same.

Closed Thread