It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Nissen fundoplication reversal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-24-2005, 04:08 PM   #1
    inspectormoe
    (male)

inspectormoe HB User
    Nissen fundoplication reversal

I had a fundo performed (big mistake) April of '03. I have had nothing but problems and was wondering if anyone has had a reversal? If so what are your experiences and who did your reversal? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2005, 06:22 AM   #2
    RobynsInPain70
    (female)

RobynsInPain70 HB User
    Re: Nissen fundoplication reversal

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ctd
    I had a fundo performed (big mistake) April of '03. I have had nothing but problems and was wondering if anyone has had a reversal? If so what are your experiences and who did your reversal? Thanks
    I may need a nissun soon, would you be so kind as to tell us your experience with it and what has gone so wrong for you? Thanks ever so much..

Old 06-25-2005, 10:09 AM   #3
    inspectormoe
    (male)

inspectormoe HB User
    Re: Nissen fundoplication reversal

I want to stress I am probably in the minority of fundo patients who have had problems, but when the complications arise, they can be significant. I had the fundo performed 4/'03 and my life has been forever changed. I cannot do anything physical that I use to enjoy as any pressure on the wrap area causes nausea, pain, dumping, chills. My G.I. doc has thrown all the meds he can at it trying to resolve the issue, but no help. I no longer can eat fruits, drink fruit juices, heavy sweets, greasy foods, mayonaise, salad dressings etc. I may be unique that way, as others after their ops eat yougurt, ice cream, puddings, egg salad, fruit purees etc and do just fine, so don't let that scare you. Breads, take awhile to be reintroduced into the diet and meats are still a problem if they are bulky/fiberous, they seem to be bulky enough they still have trouble going down at times. I was not a good candidate for the surgery. My GERD was controlled with H2 (Zantac) antiacids but the surgeon sold me on the op saying I would be back to work in 2wks, (took 7wks) and back to normal in 6wks. Its been 2yrs 3mos and I am still dealing with all the problems.

The one thing you want to do is to be correctly evaluated and to make sure your surgeon is very knowledgeable ie. having performed quite a few of the procedures. From the papers written on the fundo op, as the surgeon gains experience, the rate of complications drops. I wish I had researched the surgery in more detail before I had the operation. I would strongly suggest life style change if possible, eating habits correct, and if meds can't control the GERD, then opt for one of the lesser invasive procedures. i.e. Stretta, Endocinch etc. The Fundo in my opinion should be viewed as a last resort, no other options left type procedure.

I am presently getting worked up by a reknowned surgeon in Southern Calif to determine what went wrong with the surgery I had. The scarey part is the repair surgery itself. there is scar tissue and the real risks of more complications occuring ontop of what I have now, so ask lots of questions of your surgeon. The success rate of the first fundo is around 90-92% depending on the study you read. Second surgeries it drops to approx 70-75%.

Do your research, there are a lot of happy people who have said the surgery is the best thing they ever did. The ones you see posted on the internet are the ones that have problems, searching for solutions such as myself.

If I can answer any specific questions I would be happy to if I can.

The Following User Says Thank You to inspectormoe For This Useful Post:
    tyler1234 (04-18-2012)
    Closed Thread