It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Beware of Nexium

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-11-2005, 12:20 AM   #1
    amethystle
    (female)

amethystle HB User
    Beware of Nexium

For everyone here who is taking Nexium, please take time to read this.

I began taking Nexium about five years ago for extreme GERD and Gastritis and, while it has helped the symptoms of my acid problem, it has made other things worse. The worst thing is that I have become dependant on it and have been told that I will need to take it for the rest of my life. If I forget to take it in the morning (which is very rare) I get extremely sick within 6-12 hours or sooner if I eat. When I first started taking it, I once went a week before I started getting bad acid again and the time just kept getting shorter and shorter until I became dependent on taking it every day.

This might not be a big deal for some people, but I am 24 years old and do not want to depend on a pill. I have been married for three years and can't even start to think about getting pregnant. The doctors have told me no and I worry about the effects of prescription medicines on a fetus even if they are supposedly "safe". Not to mention the long term effects it might have on my body.

Also, shortly after I started taking Nexium, I gradually began developing bowel problems and now have IBS that can cause a lot of pain. My husband and I belive that at least part of this is due to the Nexium.

My goal right now is to work my way off of the Nexium so I can really start getting better.

So, be warned! If you are young or don't want to becamoe dependant on a pill be careful with Nexium. It has worked very well for my symptoms, but I wish that I had never started taking it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2005, 06:04 AM   #2
    joelchicago
    (male)

joelchicago HB User
    Re: Beware of Nexium

Strange that you mention this. I had problems getting ON Nexium (pain and fluttering heart), and now I've been off it for 2 weeks after 5 months on the drug. I got off it because I have strange IBS-type symptoms that the doctors can't figure out. I believe it has something to do with the drug not allowing enough acid to properly break down the food I while on Nexium, but I have no proof - just that I had no other problems til I took Nexium a few months.

I'm having some light withdrawal symptoms too I believe, along with awful tiredness, but I think I'm starting to come out of it. I've never been on a drug that has done anything like this to me.

Best of luck, and I hope you can get past this and recover to a normal life. I'm 32, but I've already got 2 kids. I can understand your frustration.

Old 07-11-2005, 12:17 PM   #3
    Dan_the_man
    Inactive
    (male)

Dan_the_man HB User

I hope the 2 people on this thread can reply. I have been on Nexium about 3 years now and am having some of the same problems. Especially when I try to get off of it I end up feeling sick and have bad indigestion that comes back. I dont want to stay on it, but my question is, have either of you gotten off of it, and what did you do to get off it, what do you do about the indigestion heartburn besides trying to change your eating habits which I have done but still have some problems....thanks...Dan

Old 07-11-2005, 02:18 PM   #4
    diamond79
    Veteran
    (female)

diamond79 HB User

I think alot of the PPI's have the same effect that you have mentioned. I was on Pariet(Aciphex) for a while, and my dr. told me to stop taking it (for a reason I can't remember) but within 2 days the acid reflux was worse then before I started taking it. I was up 3/4 of the night feeling like I was gonna vomit at any second...it eventually led me to start taking it all over again just to stop the reflux. I went back to my dr. later and mentioned it to him and he said that I shouldn't have gone "cold turkey" because PPI's tend to cause a "rebound effect" when stopped--your body takes a while to get use to the acid that was being supressed while on the PPI.
    I had to take Diovol all the time I was pregnant with my kids and it didn't do a thing for me. Pregnancy is the worst for people suffering from acid reflux. I had it bad with all 3 of my kids--and none of my kids were hairy as the saying goes

Donna

Old 07-11-2005, 10:24 PM   #5
    amethystle
    (female)

amethystle HB User

To answer your questions Dan, I have not yet been able to get off of Nexium, but I still think that I might be able to. Part of my probelm is that I have a bad kidney (due to a defect that I was born with) which sometimes causes my stomach problems to get worse. Everytime I get my stomach setled down to a point where I can start thinking about weaning myself off of the Nexium it flares up again.

I do believe that if I can keep my stomach settled down long enough I will be able to slowly stop taking it. I have thought of two ways to do this: one is to graduually increase the amount of time in between doses of the Nexium, and the other is to buy empty capsules at a health food store and break open a Nexium and gradully reduce the amount that I put into the empty capsule. I believe that I wll try lengthing the time between doses first because I know that Nexium is time released and I am not sure how putting it into another capsule will effect that.

As far as other things that can help you deal with the acid while you are trying to go off Nexium - try drinking herbal teas with ingredients like chamomile, peppermint, ginger, and fennel. I know that they warn against peppermint for GERD, so use it with caution, but it neutralizes acid fast. Also, dissolving a small amount of baking soda in a little bit of water neuralizes acid very well. Also, and again this depends on the person, but grains and sugars can make GERD worse for me. I try to stick with vegetables, lean meat, and fruits. Some fruits can have a very soothing effect for an acid stomach such as watermelon, cantalope, and blueberries.

I think that the longer you are on it, the longer it will take to get off of it, but I'm sure that it is possible. Good luck and let us know if you have any success.

If anyone else has any ideas please let me know!

Old 07-12-2005, 05:53 AM   #6
    joelchicago
    (male)

joelchicago HB User

My GERD was minor, so am lucky in that regard. But I did notice heartburn the first couple days after getting off the PPI. I've never really had heartburn before that (just chest pain) so that was a surprise. I did wean off slowly though and I took 1 pill every other day for the last 3 weeks. I obviously watched my diet (and still do).

I also started taking several supplements during that time, such as IBS Advantage, Probiotics, and I increased my multivitamins. I'm not sure if that would help you for GERD, as my pain is primarily intestinal now. I also ate at least 1 vegetarian meal a day - usually breakfast, having quality yogurt and fresh fruit only (along with my apple juice with fiber supplement). That seems to get my day off to a reflux-free start. Best of luck to you all.

Old 07-12-2005, 11:46 AM   #7
    amethystle
    (female)

amethystle HB User

Joelchicago,

What is IBS advantage? And are you saying that you think that meat aggravates your symptoms sice you start the day without it?

Just curious. Thanks.

Old 07-13-2005, 06:35 AM   #8
    joelchicago
    (male)

joelchicago HB User

Meat isn't an aggravator for me, but I've found my GERD symptoms seem lesser when I start my day with something all-natural. I've read that 1 vegetarian meal a day can help in many ways. My IBS is helped so I'll do it. I still get my protein from an egg sometimes, but usually just sprinkle some almonds and flaxseed on my fruit in the AM.

IBS Advantage is a pill I found samples of in my local newspaper coupons. It's available at most chain drug stores. It has helped make things regular again. I don't see anything exceptional about it - seems like a probiotic supplement with some magnesium, but whatever - it's working so we'll go with it a while.

One last thing - I drink 1 to 1.5 gallons of water a day. That also seems to help keep acid levels in check by diluting the acid. I read recently that you should drink 64-128 oz of water a day, but not during meals. Let the acid break down the meals well, then drink water between meals. I have been doing it now for a few months. Not a real noticeable difference, but with everything else it's just helping a little more....

God bless and good luck!

Old 07-13-2005, 10:21 AM   #9
    amethystle
    (female)

amethystle HB User

Thanks for all of the info Joelchicago.

Old 07-13-2005, 10:28 AM   #10
    Cassandrea
    (female)

Cassandrea HB User