It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• High eosinophil numbers and gastro episode

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-27-2005, 03:27 PM   #1
    kselibrary
    (female)

kselibrary HB User
    Unhappy High eosinophil numbers and gastro episode

I have been diagnosed for 18 years with IBS, diahrrea prominent.

Two days ago, I ended up in the hospital. Severe water diahrrea [atypical...yellow and very odorous], pain in neck and shoulder area, fatigue and severe itching [even the palms of my hands].

Subsequent tests show high white cell of 16,000 and high eosiniphil numbers. First time I had ever heard of eosiniphil. My GI just called after reviewing the tests and tells me he is sending me back to my GP for help in this, as it is out of his 'realm' and he doesn't feel it gastro related. I do.

I have read a number of threads here on eosinophil coliits and am feeling some concern. My last colonoscopy showed inflammation in some spots, and I am wondering if eosinophil would show as inflammation in a colonoscopy biopsy?

Symptoms that concern me are:
    Yellow, water like stools
    bloating
    fatigue
    pain in the neck and shoulder area [this is new and one of the reasons I went in]
    Very sore tummy [where rib cage comes together and stomach would be]

I feel like there is something else going on, and yet I feel he is blowing me off. I will call my GP tomorrow and have a good talk to him, but any clues, or anything anyone can share to ease concerns would be appreciated.

I'd say the itching probably indicates an allergic reaction, but do you also itch with something like eosinophil colitis...or say...leukemia.

Can you tell I've read too much and freaked myself the heck out!
    ~Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2005, 03:56 PM   #2
    sorrel2
    (female)

sorrel2 HB User
    Re: High eosinophil numbers and gastro episode

High eosinophils can be from autoimmune disease (like eosinophilic colitis) BUT they are also high with parasitic infections. Since you also have a high white count (indicative of infection), and sudden watery diarrhea, I'd bet on a parasitic infection.

Old 07-27-2005, 04:27 PM   #3
    kselibrary
    (female)

kselibrary HB User

I am on flagyl right now [in case I had c. diff. again...but that came out negative]. The gut doc [GI] suggests I stay on the flagyl until I talk to my gp.

I'll have to read a bit more on parasites. I haven't been out of the country since April and then was in Grand Cayman where the water is potable [desalinated]. I do have a well, but my husband is having no problems.

Thank you so much for the kind reply. I read too much [work at a library, occupational hazard]. See words like leukemia and lymphoma and just get a tad worried.

Old 07-28-2005, 12:07 AM   #4
    spongebobgamma
    (female)

spongebobgamma HB Userspongebobgamma HB User

Hi Kselibrary,

Welcome to the boards. Besides the bloodwork what other tests has your Dr done?

What struck me the most from your post was the yellow diarrhea and itching. Before I had my gallbladder out these were some of my symptoms, along with the pain under my right rib. The itching was so bad I thought I would go crazy..the palms of my hands were the worst. I also did alot of reading and had myself pretty scared..

Ultrasound was clear, months later I had the hidascan which showed my gallbladder was functioning at 17%..

Hope this helps..

Old 07-28-2005, 01:45 AM   #5
    kselibrary
    (female)

kselibrary HB User

Thank you for the welcome.

While in the hospital [two days ago] they did all sorts of blood work, and also did a liver/gall bladder...well an abdomen ultrasound, and an exercise stress test.

I went in thinking I had gall bladder trouble. My mom had to have hers removed around my age and had the same symptoms. Pain in shoulder and neck, and general feeling of malais. My palms itched like a son of a gun. I took a hair comb to them they itched so bad. My abdomen itched pretty bad too [itched all over, but those were the worse!]

So you can have a gall bladder ultrasound, it show fine, and yet have gall bladder problems still yet? That is good to know.

I wonder since the gall bladder could make you itch like that, if it would raise eosinophil levels? I also wonder at the high white count.

I am just going to say this here! I haven't often done this in my life, but because I didn't know what eosinophils were I went on the Internet and read. Most of them say allergic reaction or parasitic infection.

My GI gave me so me mixed signals on this saying..."I don't think this anything to worry about" and then "This is out of my realm of expertise, and I urge you strongly to follow this through with your GP". Two words come up that frighten me. Leukemia and Lymphoma. Wouldn't, however, something have shown in all the bloodwork they did in the hospital if this were something to consider looking into?

Got my fingers crossed I get an appt with the GP today...for peace of mind, if nothing else! I am going to ask him about the other Gall Bladder tests.

Driving myself crazy!

Old 07-29-2005, 01:29 AM   #6
    spongebobgamma
    (female)

spongebobgamma HB Userspongebobgamma HB User

Yes my ultrasound showed no stones in gallbladder, so my GP excluded that. It did show I had Polycystic liver and kidney disease so my GP thought that was the cause of all my symptoms. It was months later when I was sent to another Dr that she ordered the Hida scan..this is what showed my gallbladder was functioning at the 17%.

I had it removed 2 months ago.. It has relieved alot of my pain..Used to feel like I was being stabbed when I ate food. Now I just get pain,from the cysts, if I overdo things. I think the itching was proberly from my gallbladder being imflammed.

With leukemia that would show up in your bloodwork. Lymphoma can have normal bloodtests, but you would usually have swollen lymph nodes. I know itching is a sympton of them, but not the diarrhea and stomach pain usually.

Goodluck at the Drs today. If they haven't already done bloodwork for the liver ask for that also along with the hida scan. Let us know what you find out.

Old 07-31-2005, 05:07 PM   #7
    kselibrary
    (female)

kselibrary HB User

Well,

I went to the doctor [regular Internist] on Friday and had more blood drawn and a set up for more stool samples to go in.

I took in a very detailed list of concerns and issues.

I really feel I am being patted on the head and sent on my way.

Symptoms that still persist:

Itching...everywhere! I am concious of this itching 65% or more of the time.

Sore to the touch and general icky feeling at the bottom of where my ribs come together near the breast bone.

Pain after eating in abdomen

Water, yellow stools.

General feeling a malais.

Now...I have decided to wait until Tuesday and if this persists...I will be making another call, and I will have to be a little more firm in asking for the Hidscan or whatever. Just what does that entail? I swear to you it is gall bladder. Enough is enough. I want more conclusive 'stuff' done if it can. This itching is making me miserable, and scared and grouchy.

Closed Thread