It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• What Are The Best/worst Foods On Your Digestive Tract?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-20-2005, 08:59 AM   #1
    Perry2
    (male)

Perry2 HB User
    What Are The Best/worst Foods On Your Digestive Tract?

I am 45 years old and have been on Prevacid for a couple of years now. I have ulcer like symptoms that are somewhat relieved by ditching coffee and high fat foods. My stomach is usually pretty good so long as I eat right and don't have my last meal to late in the day and I get a lot of fibre. In the mornings though, my stomach often has kind of scorched feeling, or at best it is sensitive which gets better as the day goes on until supper when it it back to normal. Stress really seems to crank things up. I get a bit of bloating because of the amount of dairy I eat(I am a body builder so lots of whey protein every day). I get mild intestinal discomfort fairly often as well, not usually of the diahrrea variety, (although high fibre wants to clean you out sometimes) but again sensitivity. I want to tinker with my diet a bit to see if I can improve these things. I am afraid I may have acquired lactose intolerance but that is easy to check out I think.

Suprisingly enough stuff like hot peppers doesn't set me off. What things can you folks eat a lot of and what stuff not? Any fruits and veggies on your list?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2005, 12:04 PM   #2
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Re: What Are The Best/worst Foods On Your Digestive Tract?

Perry,

To get your bowels to act right you need to intake between 25 to 35 grams of fibre daily. It needs to be divided between soluble and insoluble fibre.

Fruit and veggies, nuts and seeds, wheat bran contain mostly insoluble fibre. All meat, seafood and all dairy products including whey contain NO fibre.

Soluble fibre is the inner part of all grains like rice, oats, corn, barley, and wheat -- the outside part husk is insoiuble. Also, beans & peas and legumes are soluble. Root veggies are mosytly soluble --like potatos, carrots, beets and tunips--
    \
    I find it best to take a water soluble fibre supplement like psyllium that is in Metamucil to bulk up and regulate your bowels.

I believe opimum health begins in the Gastrointestinal tract by what you eat and drink!

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 10-20-2005 at 12:07 PM.

Old 10-21-2005, 08:07 AM   #3
    Perry2
    (male)

Perry2 HB User

Thanks Harry. Except for raw vegetables my main source of fiber is a soy cereal I have for breakfast in the morning called Golean Crunch and some crackers called Ryvita. I used to take psyllium but now do only very occasionally since I discovered the Ryvita crackers.

I think with the discomfort I now have in an area just below the sternum I have added a stomach ulcer to the previous gut problems that got me on the Prevacid in the first place. In the last 10 days I attended a wine tasting, ate quite a bit of chocolate, had pizza twice, beef jerky, chicken fingers with fries and gravy, a clubhouse sandwich with bacon and mayo, and yesterday tuna sandwiches with mayo. Yesterdays pain was the most stomach discomfort I have ever experienced.
    The foods I have listed about are normally stuff I would have maybe once a week so I am guessing the binge really lit me up.

Yesterday I bought Magnesium 250mg for the first time and within minutes of taking it the pain relief was apparent, but several hours later, with an empty stomach and waiting for supper the pain was back. A second dose of the Magnesium seemed to have no effect so after supper I took a Ranitidine and things seemed to be improving. Like the Magnesium I am not sure if the improvement was a coincidence but I think not. I have been drinking a ton of water which I know helps a bit too. This morning I took another Ranitidine instead of the Prevacid. I had no appetitie at all this morning which is a bit strange for me. I think I will take a single Magnesium at mid day so I am at least 4 hours away from the Ranitidine doses because I have read the Magnesium may reduce the Ranitidine absorption.

I have also today started taking glutamine but what are some other gentle on the gut foods? One site says dairy is acidy and another says it is good for ulcer releif. I know my soy and milk in the morning has always left me a bit nauseous until it is digested, even with Prevacid, so I am leaning to the "avoid milk" point of view. Rice seems to be very gentle on the insides. What else do you think?

Last edited by Perry2; 10-21-2005 at 09:57 AM.

Old 10-22-2005, 09:58 PM   #4
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Perry,

Your symptom of pain below the sternum is usually a sign of a hiatal hernia-- that can readily go into cramping and spasms with with acid reflux and cause pain!!!

Taking magnesium supplement daily should help-- if you take it in divided doses it gets absorbed better-- the daily dose is 400 mgms daily. Don't expect immediate relief.

A healthy diet is one that contains about 75% alkaline and 25% acidic foods --- most all fruit and veggies are alkaline foods ---- meats, most grains, beans and peas are acidic--- you can look up look up the foods that are alkaline forming and those that are acidic.

I personal don't think soy is as healthy for you as the manufacturers make it out to be -- it can affects your thyroid function and estrogen levels.
    Yogurt and kefir are both fermented dairy products that are easy to digest. Also chicken, fish, rice, oatmeal along with fruits and veggies are all good for you.

You need more soluble fiber in your diet!!

Take Care---Harry

Old 10-23-2005, 10:41 PM   #5
    WannaBeFreeToRoam
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User

Hi Perry,

I have had an ulcer, now healed. Now I have gastritis, hiatal hernia and a few other stomach problems. I take Nexium in the am and wait 1 hr. before eating and drinking. In a perfect world, you should stay away from caffeine, chocolate, vinegar, raw onions, fatty meats and heavy beef (especially at night). Also citrus fruits and juices and sausages (includes pepperoni and beef jerky). You need whole grain cereals and breads. Just read the packages - which I think you already do.

I also eat the Go Lean Crunch and eat breat with at least 2 gm fiber or more. Fresh fruits and veges, preferrably raw. Yogurt is good and so is a product called DanActive. Probably lots more, but I cannot think of them at the moment.

I take Pepcid Complete (up to 4/day) and Zantac if needed for break thru indigestion. Like when I do eat some chocolate and drink some yummy Starbucks!

Hope that you feel better. It just takes a little fiddling with to get your diet to the right things for your body. Which I am sure you already know.

Take care.

Wannabe

Closed Thread