It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Possible cause of upper abdominal pain?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-28-2005, 06:06 PM   #1
    coolbunny
    (female)

coolbunny HB User
    Question Possible cause of upper abdominal pain?

Hi everyone

I'd be very grateful if anyone can throw any light on what might be causing my upper abdominal pain, as my doctor is puzzled by it.

My background is that I've had Coeliac disease for 30 years. It's well-controlled with very strict gluten-free diet & recent biospy found no symptoms. I also have lactose intolerance and have not had any dairy products for 15 yrs. I am also teetotal & a non-smoker.

I do have a very aggressive form of auto-immune thyroid disease.
    The underactive thyroid is stable, but I have very high levels of peroxidase antibodies, (which give me many unpleasant symptoms, such as chronic diarrhoea for one).

Last year I had severe gastritis. A gastroscopy & biopsy was done. Negative test for helicobacter pylori. 2 small stomach lesions were found and I was treated with a PPI for 2 months which got rid of the acid-like burning pain.

I also had upper abdominal ultrasound scan done last year . Gallbladder, pancreas, spleen, liver, all OK.

In the last 8 mths I have developed multiple food intolerances, and can't even take the purest Vit supplements becoz they increase the upper abdominal pain to severe levels. The pain runs across from one side to the other, in the area known as the hypochondriam. It is a pulling, stretching, tugging feeling, so bad at times it makes me shake and sweat.

I have had this pain for 8 months. It is worse when I am standing, and goes away if I lie down. It is also worse when my stomach is full. And worse still if I eat something that disagrees with me.

My GP said the pain is partly from pulling on the muscles of the diaphragm. A stomach hernia has definitely been ruled out.

But another doctor thinks it could be scar tissue in the stomach from the lesions, or even adhesions formed following possible infections in the stomach or bowel over the years..

And my consultant thinks it is Leaky Gut Syndrome (LGS), though he can't explain why LGS should cause this strange tugging feeling of pain.

I kept being told it would clear up, but 8 mths down the line it has not, so
    I am thinking of asking my GP to refer me for an MRI scan to try and diagnose the cause of the pain.

I should be very grateful if anyone can offer advice or suggest what might be causing my pain.

Thank you and best wishes.

Last edited by coolbunny; 10-28-2005 at 06:14 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2005, 10:27 PM   #2
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Post Re: Possible cause of upper abdominal pain?

Sorry about all your problems!!

The thing that came to mind as I read your message is that it could be lesion/adhesion pain but if you had enough magnesium and calcium in your body at the cellular level -- your pain should not be so bad.

Several things I would suggest --start taking magnesium and calcium supplements 3 or 4 times daily~~~ the one I like best for ready absorption is the chelated type that is a magnesium that is bonded to a protein amino acid (glycine) that is Internationally patented by Albion Labs and sold to various vitamin companies for sale & distribution.
    I like and use Doctor's Best, Solgar and Kal and others-- but since amino acid protein minerals are easy absorbed--- I think they are the best and will cause less problems if taken in divided doses daily.

Only 1% of Mag is in your blood so a normal blood (serum) test may not be very good for what is in your cells and ALL cells including muscles in your body contains Magnesium-- also about 67% is in your bones.

There is a more sensitive test to test for Magnesium deficiency a procedure call an intracellular (mononuclear cell) screen. This should be a routine test but many Doctors don't think of it-- but every illness or disorder in the body is made worse with a lack of magnesium.

A very good thing to try is a Homeopathic remedy that you can buy at a health food store--- Magnesia Phos. If your pain is caused by muscle spasms or cramping you will know in just several doses and it inexpensive. 6X is OK-- the great about these remedies is you take them under your tongue so your digestive system is not involved~~and you can do it this weekend.

The diaphagram pain is helped by a homeopathic remedy ---Nux Vomica 30X -- but you have to take it 4 times daily for about 3 days. This has helped my wife on several occasions!!

As you know chronic diarrhea is bad news because it washes away your electrolytes and many vital nutients that you need as well as can cause the problems with cramping and spasms.

What other problems does a high peroxidase antibodies level cause you-- it will save me from looking it up??
    By the way you should tolerant yogurt OK since 99% of the lactose is used up in the fermentation process-- I eat Stonyfield Farm daily brcause it has 4 added active cultures that help re-colonize your intestines. I also recommend that you take a probiotic supplement -- Culturelle -- it will also help with the friendly flora in your small intestines as well as improve your immune system!!

God Bless~~~Harry

Last edited by Harry; 10-29-2005 at 10:15 PM.

Old 10-29-2005, 05:15 PM   #3
    coolbunny
    (female)

coolbunny HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Possible cause of upper abdominal pain?

Dear Harry

Thank you so much for your very helpful & detailed reply to my query.

Regarding your question about symptoms of high level peroxidase thyroid antibodies - the list is long. Some do go when the level of thyroxine supplement is correct, but a lot remain active for as long as the antibody level is high, which for many people, is years:

They are as follows:
    chronic fatigue, insomnia, digestive problems, chronic diarrhoea or severe constipation, vertigo, carpal tunnel syndrome, headaches, swollen stiff joints, aching neck & shoulders, brain 'fog', short term memory loss, balance problems, visual disturbances, tinnitus, weight gain, depression, panic attacks, mood swings, dry eye syndrome, dry skin, hair loss, food intolerances, breathing problems, asthma, fluid retention.

Those are all I can think of for the moment. I had most of those symptoms a year ago, but am glad to say many have gone since my underactive thyroid was treated and stabilised.

Interesting what you said about magnesium, as I forgot to mention in my first post that I had a blood test for magnesium and it was the bottom end of normal. My doc said he would be happier if it was higher, but I have been too wary of getting a bad reaction to a supplement after my awful experiences with vitamin supplements. However, I shall try the homeopathic one you suggest, as can take it sublingually as you say, and should be OK.

Shall also try the nux vomica 30 as you suggest. Interested to hear it helped your wife with upper abdominal pain.

Thank you also for the advice about probiotics. I am actually taking Hylak probiotic drops - apparently one of the best, according to my Naturopath, and am glad to say I can tolerate it. I haven't heard of Culturelle...

I did try lots of different yogurts in the past, made from cows milk, or goats milk or sheeps milk, but could not seem to tolerate any of them, to my dismay, as I love yogurt and would happily eat it every meal if I could !

Thank you again for your kindness in replying to me. I really do appreciate your support and advice.

best wishes,
    peterson

Last edited by Administrator; 11-21-2005 at 11:55 PM.

Old 11-03-2005, 10:36 PM   #4
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Re: Possible cause of upper abdominal pain?

peterson,
    I was just wondering how you are doing?

Candida problems are not treated with Hylak in the States -- I don't think it's even available here--- it is treated usually with an anti-fungal drug and then a probiotic supplement to re-colonize your gastro tract.

You really need to try to get your magnesium level up with purer supplements-- as I have said -- every illness is made worse by a low magnesium level ~~ even thyroid problems. I read that you have problems with copper and zinc but they should be taken at least 8 hous apart and not with your thyroid medication!!
    There is just some minerals that aid all sorts of problems.

How do the foods that you are intolerant to affect you?? Does it affect your thyroid function?

I also think you should get a gallbladder scan (Hida Scan) to test the function of your gallbladder.

God Bless---Harry

Last edited by Administrator; 11-21-2005 at 11:54 PM.

Old 11-04-2005, 05:04 PM   #5
    big mama
    (female)

big mama HB User

hi peterson

Sorry to hear about all your troubles,and it does make it much worse when the doctors can't find out what is causing it.I went through that for over two years.While i had other medical problems,I had this awful pain in my stomach and rib cage area it would drive me crazy,and each doctor visit made me feel like i was going nuts because i was always being told there was nothing wrong,Mine you i was on pain meds and it was not helping and i am sure that i was lable a pain med seeker and it would make me so mad,I knew something was not right but didn't know what,Good thing i have a doctor who didn't give up on me.

I has been seeing a gastro and just got the runaround from him.so i went a got a new one and it was the best thing i could had done,He listen to what i had to say and did a exam.and order some test,and it came back that i had some gallstone,but he said that he thaught there might be more going on,he told me he really thaught i could have adhesions and he sent me to see a surgen,and the surgen also thaiught the same ,the problem was you can't see adhesion on any test and health insurance will not pay just to go looking for them,so what he did was set me up for gallbladder surgery and said he would check out to make sure nothing else was going on.

I went in on july and when i came to he said that while i did have gallstone and my gallbladder did have to come out that was not causing me the problems,it was all adhesions,he said they were so bad they were wrap around my colon and on my diaphram and the adhesions had twisted my colon so he clear them all out and i tell you i could had cry to finally know it was not all in my head.within a month i felt so much better,and then about 3 months later the problem came back,and i went back to him and he said they was a poss that the other side was the same so i went in again and he did remove more adhesions,it has been over a year an i have not had it returned yet [knock wood]

It just goes to show you i went through hell and was starting to believe it was all in my head,and there are many out there who have adhesions and it is never founf because they don't show up on any test.and many ins wont pay for lap surgery,

I don't know if this is your problem and sorry i went on and on,what ever it is don't give up trying to find out what it is and i wish you the best and my prayers are with you .please let me know how you make out.

take care
    big mama

Last edited by Administrator; 11-21-2005 at 11:53 PM.

Old 11-04-2005, 05:08 PM   #6
    big mama
    (female)

big mama HB User

sorry forgot to add that i always had the feeling like someone was pulling on my insides and it would drive me crazy.
    big mama

Old 11-20-2005, 10:24 AM   #7
    rosa1
    (male)

rosa1 HB User

Sorry to read about your problems but it was surprisingly like my wife's abodominal problems. She also has the pain in the upper abominal area that can get quite severe. It's worse when she's standing and worse after she eats something that disagrees. We haven't been able to get an accurate diagnosis either. She's had all the xrays and Ultra Sounds but nothing found. She's had therapy from Mayo Clinic to learn to control certain lower abdominal muscles and was treated for bacterial overgrowth by her gastro doc but to no avail. The doctor know thinks it's all in her head. We're waiting for a referral to a surgeon to discuss possible exploratory surgery, maybe looking for adhesions or scar tissue as discussed by bigmama. If we find anything I'll post to this site. Good Luck. Rosa1

Old 11-24-2005, 10:39 AM   #8
    sissydog
    (female)

sissydog HB User

Your story gives me hope.

I have been having the pains for just a few months. The doctors keep getting normal or better tests. I've seen two regular docotrs, and i felt like I wasn't sick enough for them. Had to gross loudly to see a Gastro....he and his nurse seem to be determined to get to the bottomof my issues.

Closed Thread