It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

Do I need an endoscopy?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2006, 02:09 PM   #1
debbie2862
(female)

debbie2862 HB User
Do I need an endoscopy?

I went to the gastro doc because for the past week I've been having bad reflux and a burning feeling in my throat and a sensation that things are not going all the way down. I was thinking he would tell me I have acid reflux and try out some drugs or something to see if they help.
Well, he wants to do the endoscopy and now I'm freaking out. Is that normal or do you think most docs would suggest that at the outset? I don't want to do it just because he wants the $$ from the insurance company, kwim??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2006, 02:19 PM   #2
RetiredDirector
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User
Re: Do I need an endoscopy?

Debbie: I wouldn't be too concerned and by all means, don't worry about it. All you'll do is get yourself all worked up when there's no reason to be.

Doing an Endoscopy is certainly a valid thing to do in your situation. I would have put you on Nexium or Previcid in the mean time though, to give you some relief from the discomfort, if nothing else. What your doctor is doing is very normal though and I have had several over the years and take Nexium for acid reflux myself.

Don't worry about it and let us know how you come out with your test. One thing though. Make sure ahead of time your doctor will agree to sedate you before starting the test. I have had it without sedation and it's not a pleasant experience. I swore I would never go through that again. Nor will I have a colonoscopy without plenty sedation!

Old 02-09-2006, 02:29 PM   #3
debbie2862
(female)

debbie2862 HB User

Thanks Director.
Yes, he said I would be sedated, thank goodness.

I had a colonoscopy done once with only valium and I thought they would call the cops from all the screaming I did .

I was hoping for a better medication to tide me over as well. He told me to take Mylanta but I've also been taking some Zantac OTC as well since it seems to help more.

Thanks again.

Old 02-09-2006, 03:12 PM   #4
RetiredDirector
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

Hey Debbie: I don't know how far off your procedure is, but rather than taking OTC Zantac, Prilosec would most likely help more. If I remember right the OTC dose is 10 mg. but the RX doseage was 20 and 40 mg. I was on that for several years until they made it OTC and my doctor switched me to Nexium, 40 mg.

As far as sedation for the Endoscopy goes, there's nothing wrong with Valium. I had them do that once to me too. What they need to do, is add a good dose of Demerol with the Valium. When I had my last one, that's what they used on me. The only problem, is my tolerance was so high from all the pain meds I've taken, the doc said they had to give me about five times the amount they would normally use! Oh, oh. At least I didn't feel anything and when I woke up, it was all done.

Old 02-09-2006, 05:16 PM   #5
gingertea
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

Unless your gastro doctor ordered it, I would hold off on any stomach medication until after the endoscopy. The meds can mask some conditions, (like h. pylori) and you might get a false negative if the doctor does a biopsy. If your esophagus is damaged from the reflux, Prilosec or Prevacid can mask that also. I was skeptical when the gastro doctor thought I should have an endoscopy....but she must have known what she was talking about because the biopsy discovered the h pylori and the scope showed esophagus damage from the reflux. It's best to get it taken care of.

Old 02-10-2006, 04:39 PM   #6
Isobella
(female)

Isobella HB User
Wink Re: Do I need an endoscopy?

I had my first ever endoscopy this morning - turns out I have a small stricture, probably caused by acid reflux. I had sedation for the endoscopy and it was a breeze, not even any sore throat afterwards, nor any of my dental crowns damaged (one of my biggest worries!).

But I had to ask for sedation as the doctor and nurses seemed to assume I wouldn't want it, just have my throat sprayed with something to numb it. One nurse told me she'd had it done herself without sedation and it wasn't painful at all. I got the impression that no sedation was the usual thing. I'm in the UK so don't know if this is more usual over here than in the US. While I was in recovery waiting for the sedation to wear off, an elderly lady was having her throat sprayed in preparation for her endoscopy (not sure why she was in recovery room at the time), but it made me feel a bit of a wimp, especially as I heard her say she'd had one before.

But anyway, Debbie, don't worry one minute about the endoscopy - just get the sedation and you'll just have a nice sleep and know nothing about it. And isn't it good your doctor wants to take your problems seriously, as acid reflux can cause bigger problems if allowed to proceed?

Old 02-15-2006, 05:56 PM   #7
suzyshop1
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Sounds like a good doc to me,hes probably looking for signs of damage to your esophagus.Better to find out sooner then later.Ive had 2 endos so far,both went well painless.Good luck.

Closed Thread