It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

Lactose Intolerance

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-01-2006, 11:44 AM   #1
ariesgirly
(female)

ariesgirly HB User
Lactose Intolerance

Anyone have a great remedy that works? I need some suggestions on what type of pills to buy because I love chese & yogurt, but cannot eat it without feeling lousy for a week after!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2006, 12:26 PM   #2
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Lactose Intolerance

Lactose is milk sugar that some people have trouble digesting.
Yogurt and cheese does not contain any lactose but maybe a very little bit.
Yogurt is fermented and the active bacteria uses up all the lactose/ milk sugar in the process.

Lactose intolerance usually causes intestinal cramping and loose to diarrhea try BMs.

You said eating either caused you to feel lousy--- Could you go into what lousy means to you?

Old 03-01-2006, 01:26 PM   #3
ariesgirly
(female)

ariesgirly HB User

Ok, well when I eat Cottage Cheese, Yogurt, or String Cheese I blow up like a balloon from gas & then start going to the bathroom for the rest of the night.

Old 03-01-2006, 07:16 PM   #4
Sonflower1116
(female)

Sonflower1116 HB User

I have never heard of taking anything to offset lactose intolerance reactions other than total avoidance of all dairy products. You can get lactose-free milk, and lactose-free whey protein powder (Uni Key Health Systems, online). You also might find a recipe for making homemade yogurt using the lactose-free milk. Most all grocery stores and Wal Mart Super Centers carries Lactaid milk and it really tastes great.

Are you also intolerant to the caseine in milk?

It's most likely a matter of eat and suffer the consequences or avoid these foods alltogether for a while. I have several intolerances - citric acid, yeast, soy and nightshade veggies, and after several years of avoiding them, I can now eat a little with no reactions.

Last edited by Sonflower1116; 03-01-2006 at 07:17 PM.

Old 03-01-2006, 08:14 PM   #5
dixieagle
(female)

dixieagle HB User

My daughter is extremely lactose intolerant; because of the bacteria in yogurt, that doesn't bother her. However, for any other dairy products she takes a couple of Lactaid tablets which prevents symptoms. Give it a try - it's available in any drugstore and most grocery stores along with other stomach remedies.

Old 03-01-2006, 09:48 PM   #6
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

ariesgirly,

The human body only uses glucose so any type of sugar we eat has to be broken down by a digestive enzyme and converted to glucose.
Milk contains lactose (milk sugar) that is digested by lactase enzyme that our body produces. But, like any enzyme in the body some people don't have enough so they can buy it under several different brand names so they can digest lactose.

Your problem of having a bad reaction to yogurt, cottage cheese and cheese is a problem that I don't think is related to digesting lactose. I really don't know what you are reacting to??

If you really want to eat cheeses and yogurt -- I think you need to go to an Allergist and find out what is going on and how you can solve this problem.

God Bless~~~Harry

Old 03-02-2006, 07:00 PM   #7
ariesgirly
(female)

ariesgirly HB User

Thank you all for your help!!!!!!

Sonflower..how did you find out you were allergic to citric acid, so, wheat & yeast???? I eat all these things & since I feel so sick, maybe this is what is bothering me?

Old 03-03-2006, 11:37 AM   #8
Sonflower1116
(female)

Sonflower1116 HB User

Besides not feeling well I broke out in hives and my knees began to swell, my mouth broke out in small sores and I ached all over. It would take a few days after eating the offensive food(s) before I would begin having symptoms so it was very difficult at first to realize that was what was making me sick. With a food allergy you see immediate negative symptom reaction but with food intolance it can take days before you have a reaction.

I first stopped eating pizza as I always became sick a few days later, and that subsequently proved that I couldn't tolerate yeast or citric acid (tomato sauce). Additional meals of eating these particular foods brought the same results. Oranges and tomatoes and yeast really made me sick. Bread would make me break out in raised hives which the doctor diagnosed as Uticaria and wrote me a prescription for Zyrtec. I didn't want to take that for the rest of my life so I began studying nutrition and food intolerances.

I had a really bad intestinal reaction to soy in a soy protein drink, so I stopped eating soy. I didn't find out about the nightshade veggies until I went on the Fat Flush Plan and in phase 1 all known allergin foods are eliminated for two weeks. Bell peppers were unlimited so I ate them every day until I ran out of them for a few days, and then the sores in my mouth went away. Eating more the next week, my mouth broke out again. I looked up nightshade veggies on the internet and found that they were also in the high allergin/intolerance group of foods - as was citric acid and soy.

I eliminated all of these from my diet for about 2 years and finally went to a Naturopath to get tested to know for sure that I had identified everything I was intolerant to. He suggested we work on my immune system so I could begin to enjoy eating these foods again. After 3 months on Astragalus (Standard Process), a high-quality multi-vitamin, Liver Lovin' Formula and Epo, (Uni Key Health Systems), I can now eat bread and small amounts of citric acid foods. I enjoyed a hamburger, with bun and tomato, for the first time in years last summer.

I'm not lactose intolerant but I choose to drink lactose-free milk (Lactaid) because I don't believe our digestive systems were meant to digest the lactose in whole milk other than in small amounts.

Closed Thread