It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Hunger & Retching?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-02-2006, 07:03 PM   #1
    phptek
    (male)

phptek HB User
    Hunger & Retching?

Hi folks,

About three years ago I started to feel vomitous after a long day at work, and figured it might be a screen flickering thing, and so just got up and left and ate some food which seemed to relieve it, with it only ever returning very periodically thereafter.

But just lately in the last 6 months or so, it
    s become an almost daily occurance - whenever I might previousely have considered myself to be "slightly hungry" I'm getting ravenousely so, with my stomach rumbling and accompanied by a feeling like I want to vomit or gag. It onyl gets as far as my retching, I haven;t actually vomited, perhaps becuase I have always had some food just about to hand.

It's uncomfortable, not to mention fairly disconcerting!

I've seen a few things on ****pedia/google that sound similar but the feeling of vomitousness and retching doesn't seem to feature heavily in these cases where it most definetely does in mine.

I'm male, 30 years old, 75kg, am not taking any drugs of any kind, and am otherwise healthy and fairly fit.

Does any of this sound even slightly familiar to anyone?

Many thanks for reading

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2006, 08:16 AM   #2
    Sunlover
    Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User
    Re: Hunger & Retching?

I was going to say it could be 1 of 2 things... but I read and saw you are MALE, so that leaves ONE of those things out! (possible pregnancy!) LOL! Anyway, have you ever had your blood sugar checked? Sometimes if mine drops below 70 (my husband is a diabetic, so I can actually check my numbers out of curiousity when this happens!), I will feel like that, it's almost that you get so hungry you get nauseated really bad. Do you get shakey with it? I mean visibly so? And this gagging feeling, it's not the kind you'd get if say you were actually sick, right? If so, it really could be low blood sugar - eating WOULD relieve it. You mentioned it happened after a long day at work - did you go without eating for a long period of time? Had a strong cup of coffee maybe? All things that would contribute to it. If indeed that is what it is, don't go too long without eating, eat small meals and snack a lot. It may not be feasable with your job whatever that may be (if it's in an OFFICE you may be ok), but if not, have a little snack candy bar with you, some crackers, just nibble here and there. If it's happening all the time you should have a fasting blood check done to make sure, you don't want to be guessing. I mean supposed it is actually diabetes and you are feeling like that when your blood sugar drops to NORMAL? You'd want to know that too!

Last edited by Sunlover; 03-03-2006 at 08:20 AM.

Old 03-07-2006, 07:20 AM   #3
    AaronR
    (male)

AaronR HB User

I have that feeling too and found some relief by: drink a cup of apple juice after every meal, and 1/2oz of lemon juice mixed with equal amount of water before bed.

Old 03-13-2006, 04:02 PM   #4
    phptek
    (male)

phptek HB User

Thank you folks, I did some more reading and another sympton I have which I had thought was unrelated seems to point to some form of Diabetes:

I get double vision maybe once a week or once a fortnight, where it feels like my left eye suddenly decides to point upward a bit completely confusing my brain resulting in a very confused view of what I'm looking at. It might last 30 seconds or two minutes, I feel slightly Vertigo-like too at the same time.

This, coupled with retching and the timing of the latter does seem to point to some sort of Diabetes, I will red up some more and if it continues - I will see a doc.

Thanks to you both for your input.

Closed Thread