It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

question

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-22-2006, 08:30 PM   #1
kmtsn5
(female)

kmtsn5 HB User
Question question

Hello I am new to this board so bear with me........... Ok my Husband has had a stomach ulcer for along time he really has to watch what he eats (sometimes he eats stuff he shouldn't) anyway now he is so bloated and he feels kind of a burning sensation and alot of pressure under his right breast bone burping alot feels like everything is pushing up on him his throat and chest kind of hurt any suggestions will be appreciated thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2006, 09:17 PM   #2
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: question

85% of ulcers are caused by a H pylori bacteria -- and is treated using antibiotics and an antiacid for a week or 2.
Has your husband taken this treatment???

Old 03-22-2006, 09:27 PM   #3
kmtsn5
(female)

kmtsn5 HB User
Question Re: question

no what all does this consitet of? thanks

Old 03-23-2006, 07:04 AM   #4
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: question

Hi kmt,

A person can be diagnosed for a stomach ulcer several ways. By a blood test, breath test or the best way is to have an endoscopic exam of his stomach where a biopsy is taken of the area that is ulcerated.

All stomachs ulcers are either caused by a bacteria (about 85%) that can be eliminate with antibiotics & an anti acid in 2 weeks and the other (15%) is caused by errorsion of the stomach lining --- usually due to medication like asprin , ibuprofin or any non steroid anti -inflammator type pain meds as well as other medication that irrritates the stomach lining.

The errosion type ulcer is treated using an anti-acid type of med-- Proton Pump Inhibitors are used to reduce stomachacid-- like Prilosec, Prevacid, Nexium and others.

It use to be thought that stomach ulcers were caused by Stress but Dr Barry Marshall discovered the H pylroi bacteria caused most ulcers in 1982 in Perth, Australia by accident and for the last 10 years the treatment has been with antibiotics in the States.

Usually people don't have ulcers for very long these days and don't have to stick to a diet!

A gastroenterologist is used to make the diaganosis and do the treatment.

God Bless---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 03-23-2006 at 07:08 AM.

Closed Thread