It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

To Sharon76...

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-29-2006, 09:12 AM   #1
Angela22F
Veteran
(female)

Angela22F HB User
Talking To Sharon76...

I was wondering how your test went today? Any better idea on the cause of your problems? Hopefully you will get some answers today.

Angela

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2006, 11:23 AM   #2
Sharon76
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User
Re: To Sharon76...

Hi Angela

Thanks for asking

I was at the hospital today for 7 hours!!! I ended up having the same test that you had, but it was taking its time going through. I had endless x rays plus screening!!

After speaking to the consultant in radiography today there is a chance that it is crohn's as there is some narrowing of my small bowel has shown up near the ileum hence thats why it took so long to go through. I have an appointment with my surgeon to discuss the results in full so hopefully i will get more answers them.

For the past two days ive been in bed, unable to mobilse, or eat so much pain and ive been vomiting as well. I want it sorted now.

Some info i found out today, incase you want to try it. I was talking to someone who has crohns, and he said that ideally to stay away from fibre and fruit and veg. Sounds silly, but he said that due to crohns it causes some problem with the digestive gut and its alot harder for the small bowel to finish breaking down the food and this is part of the pain. He takes supplements. Anyway im going to try it and see.

have you had any results????? or are you still waiting???

Old 03-29-2006, 12:13 PM   #3
Angela22F
Veteran
(female)

Angela22F HB User

I have to wait a full week for results. And the technician who did the test would tell me zero/zip/null about it. I'll let you know what he says though.

I hope you had a good book or something with you. lol, their posters are really not that interesting and seven hours, wow! they better have alot of stuff to tell you at the surgeons

I am glad you are finally getting answers on this. Hopefully your surgeon will have an explanation and a course of action set out for you when you see him. This has been way too long for you now, and you need some relief. At least if they can give you a proper diagnosis you'll then have some options for treatment. Although Crohn's is not ideal, you will at last be able to start on a road to recovery LOL if you're like me, then you'll probably smile ear to ear with a diagnosis... I know pretty crazy but this has been so frustrating that I will accept almost any diagnosis and treatment now with joy... just get rid of this pain! lol

Apparently the ileum is the most common place for Crohn's to appear. This is what my doctor tells me anyway, and is also where he suspects I have it. At least now you have a better idea of the problem since it showed a narrowing. I know I'm repeating myself (a problem for me - my memory is gone), but I hope they do have some sort of action plan for you, and some treatment options when you see the surgeon.

That is great info regarding the fibre. I was going to start on a supplement, as I have seen Harry post regarding how important soluble/insoluble fibre is to the digestive system, and how one "opens up" the bowel and the other kind of "sweeps" it clean. Can't remember which is which. Apparently, the body needs 25-30 grams of fibre daily. But, while looking for a supplement, I read that if you have IBD - ie: Crohn's or Ulcerative Colitis - then to not take it without doctor approval. The pharmacist was also skeptical, stating it is needed for a healthy digestive system, but would cause problems for myself as it would bind with my iron and again increase my malabsorption issue. My doctor had no real comment on it as he was not aware of any benefits or detriments to taking a supplement, and to use my own discretion. I stuck with the pharmacist and still have not started, as it still kind of scares me, even though I stopped taking the iron about a week and a half ago as it was causing more problems than seemingly any good.

As for eatting fruits and veggies, I thought I was doing well by limiting myself to them!! Uh oh! ha ha well, I think I may start to cut that back a bit.

Good Luck.

Angela

Last edited by Angela22F; 03-29-2006 at 12:15 PM.

Old 03-29-2006, 12:22 PM   #4
Sharon76
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User

I was talking to my hubsand and since i was little i have always had a good diet, veg, fruit and fibre, seems strange how it isnt good for some people anymore!!!

All the health professionals that tell you to eat plenty of the stuff but yet when i do it causes problems.

I think i might start another thread for crohn sufferers or people like us and get their opinion, what diet is best for them coz im gonna follow it!!!!!

And yes i will being smiling from ear to ear if i get a diagnosis!!! Hurrahhhh at last maybe some relief and some help is finally coming this way.

Some more advice that i was given, you try it as well...........dont try eating large meals. Have small bits throughout the day as this gives the small bowel more time to help absorb and digest the food.

Old 03-29-2006, 12:33 PM   #5
Angela22F
Veteran
(female)

Angela22F HB User

I have been doing the small meal thing for awhile. I don't eat three meals a day.

I find it very difficult to eat breakfast, as it causes a bad reaction for me. So what I try to do is have a shake of sorts, but that is difficult as I am lactose intolerant. Then I eat small snacks throughout the day, and try to have a light supper, which is difficult on times, as my fiance enjoys fatty/greasy/huge helpings meals. Anything else is "tasteless" lol. I have learned though, that I can eat as I want, and just prepare myself a totally different meal. Usually, I have a boiled chicken breast with broccoli/carrots and cauliflower and a sweet and sour sauce to lightly dip in. Or some variation of that.

Not to get too much into diet, but I have found that by cutting out breads, pastas, dairy, and cheese it has helped somewhat.

Also, do you find sweets a problem? I am a chocoholic, I love chocolate... but do I ever pay even for just a nibble.

I think a thread on diet would be great!!

Angela

Last edited by Angela22F; 03-29-2006 at 12:35 PM.

Closed Thread