It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

Please Help-Just Want to Check-Digestive Issues One More Time

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-31-2006, 03:19 AM   #1
(male)

dlanzetta@galum HB User
Please Help-Just Want to Check-Digestive Issues One More Time

I already posted this, but I just want to see if there are any more responses with some additional info. Thanks for everyone's help.

Hi. I am a 28 year old male who recently quit smoking and has been a farily heavy drinker for the last 7 or 8 years. A little less than a year ago, I started getting a slight burning feeling in my upper left abdomen, kind of like the pain associated with an ulcer. However, I would feel the burning more acutely when wiping myself in certain spots after a bowel movement. I have had hemmoroids for a while and assumed it must be related to that. Then, in December, I started to get daily symptoms of heartburn, which were relieved by Prilosec OTC. I have been on and off the Prilosec since and felt pretty good and the stomach pain, as it had been since it first came, was intermittent and rarely ever affected my daily life. Sometimes, if I wiped myself more strenuously, I'd feel it, and sometimes when I coughed. The heartburn stayed away, except when I went off the Prilosec, and then it returned about a week later. However, in recent days, while the heartburn has stayed away (still on prilosec), the pain in my stomach has returned on a more consistent, more burning-basis. In addition, I find that after I eat, I have symptoms of indigestion through my body, occasional back or chest pain and general discomfort that comes and goes all day. It has only been like this for a few days. Otherwise, I feel okay. My stools are not black or tarry and I am not fatigued. I am however, very nervous and I wonder if the stress is contributing to my symptoms. Additionally, when I was off the Prilosec, eating relieved my heartburn symptoms, but eating doesn't seem to relieve the stomach pain. It just seems willy-nilly and rather random, now. I feel better today, but still have intermittent burning. I am also a hypocondriac and have a doctor's appointment on Monday and am petrified as to what they will find (stomach cancer?) Please let me know if anyone has ever heard of anything like this and if I should be this worried. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2006, 10:26 AM   #2
charon8
(female)

charon8 HB User
Re: Please Help-Just Want to Check-Digestive Issues One More Time

I was diagnosed with this stuff, you might want to check out, too.

1) gallbladder-go to a GOOD gastroentrologist. The gallbladder doesn't necessarily have to have stones, it can just quit working.

2) hiatal hernia

3) Gluten intolerance - this didn't show up in a test for me, however, I am severely gluten intolerant. It's more common than doctors realize. A friend, a very good doctor, suggested this was one of my problems, he was correct.

4) They had to scope me both ways to rule out other problems.

5) Bleeding ulcer (that should have been number 4)

I feel so much better now that things are fixed. Took years of suffering to track down. Anybody can become a hypochondriac when they are not feeling well

Last edited by charon8; 03-31-2006 at 10:30 AM.

Old 03-31-2006, 11:03 AM   #3
(male)

dlanzetta@galum HB User

If the gallbladder has stopped working, as you say, will that require surgery? Does my pain sound indicative of that? Can you tell me the long term ramifications of the other things you mentioned? Are any of them life-threatening? Could I be tolerating a bleeding ulcer for this long? Thanks for the help.

Last edited by [email protected]; 03-31-2006 at 11:04 AM.

Old 03-31-2006, 11:53 AM   #4
charon8
(female)

charon8 HB User

I am not a doc, so am not qualified legally to give you medical advice such as you ask. But I can say that I survived all of these things and am healed from them! From your post, I can tell you that you need to calm down!! First, RELAX !! Then find yourself a GOOD gastroentrologist ! I strongly feel that you're gonna be OK, but you need to track down these issues! Worry is your worst enemy right now and that will mess you up even more. There are good antianxiety meds on the market.

Have to run,
catch ya later !

Old 03-31-2006, 12:30 PM   #5
Lovelydarling
(female)

Lovelydarling HB User

Sorry to hear of your illness. I don't have much to add and I'm sure everyone is different.

My mom's friend was having black tarry stools for weeks and weeks, she went to the doctor and found out that she had 3 bleeding ulcers. So I assume if you had a bleeding ulcer you would know it. However, that does not mean you don't have one, maybe it's just not bleeding at this point. It could be a lot of different things from ulcer, to gastritis to what everyone else mentions.

you should go to the doctors, like I need to as well and get a full work up from a professional.

Old 04-01-2006, 09:32 AM   #6
charon8
(female)

charon8 HB User

dlanzetta,

Just another thought,
You said you were a heavy drinker...at this point...if it were me...I would quit ALL alcohol, if you have not already done so. It's a known irritant in any amount when you have stomach prob's (ask any doctor!). So is caffeine. And of course, spicy foods. I absolutely hope this doesn't sound like preaching, 'cause it's not.

One of my beautiful and sweet daughters is an alcoholic, she has anxiety problems and uses this to self medicate. I fully understand why she does it,
even though I don't want her to take this route, am helpless to do or say anything as she is a young woman out on her own, nothing I say has any effect. I just worry what it will do to her in the long run.

OK, rambling here...just trying to help!

Last edited by charon8; 04-01-2006 at 09:38 AM.

Closed Thread