It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

My endoscopy experience....

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-17-2006, 05:06 PM   #1
moesciphish
(male)

moesciphish HB User
My endoscopy experience....

Had one done this morning... was pretty nervous just in general about everything that is going on with me. I don't like foreign drugs in my body, and I opted NOT to have sedation. It only took about 7 mins and was fairly easy. For those who may opt not to have the sedation, I'll share my experience... it really was quite a breeze. The first thing they gave me was that numbing agent that they spray in your throat and you swallow. That wasn't that bad... the worse part is getting into the esophagus.. they stick it in, past the tongue and then tell you to swallow. Then its pretty much not bad at all. The next thing that gets ya though is when they blow air into your stomach. This causes you to "throw up" air out of your esophagus, still not too bad though. Then the only other thing was a slight discomfort when they push into the small intestines. Its actually quite interesting to feel all this inside you. Then they pull it out and wha-la. I've had a little bit of soreness in my throat and lower esophagus and that's about it. Going to eat some fruit pops to see if that helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2006, 05:20 AM   #2
Bilbobeth
(female)

Bilbobeth HB User
Re: My endoscopy experience....

That was interesting . I got one coming up any day. I am in UK. I wont be able to have the throat numbing spray because I am allergic to local anaesthetic. Might just have to have sedation. Did they tell you the results there and then and did it make you gag a lot?

You are brave! Hope I can be as brave as that.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:12 AM   #3
moesciphish
(male)

moesciphish HB User

The nurse told me some results... no ulcers, etc... but the doc was supposed to talk to me afterwards but skipped out for some reason . I gagged only a few times... which is strange because I usually have a really bad gag reflex... they tell you not to swallow and just concentrate on breathing in and out of your nose and drooling...

Old 04-18-2006, 08:02 AM   #4
Bilbobeth
(female)

Bilbobeth HB User

Thanks for that. Better use my sinex spray before I go then! My sister got her results on the day. I just wondered whether this was the norm. Have you got a follow up apointment then? Are you in UK?
Thanks

Old 04-18-2006, 09:16 AM   #5
diamond79
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User

I am in Canada and I had a similar experience. I did have sedation but only enough to make me "buzz" a little. I was awake through the whole thing. The numbing spray was the worse because the nurse that was doing it shoved the nozzle 3/4 the way down my throat and made me gag. Other than that everything else went smoothly. I would describe the feeling of the scope in the stomach as that butterflies feeling you get when you are nervous. I was told right after they were done that everything looked normal. It wasn't until I got the results of the biopsy that I found out I had gastritis. It wasn't a bad experience at all, although I was told I would be asleep and not remember a thing!

Old 04-18-2006, 10:00 AM   #6
moesciphish
(male)

moesciphish HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbobeth
Thanks for that. Better use my sinex spray before I go then! My sister got her results on the day. I just wondered whether this was the norm. Have you got a follow up apointment then? Are you in UK?
Thanks
Yeah, I called my doctor and he is supposed to call me back about the results... I also have a follow appointment, because I had a gastric emptying done also and although they didn't take a biopsy, they did take a "culture"? from my stomach...to test for pylori....

Closed Thread