It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

gastroparesis and Reglan questions...

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-18-2006, 12:23 PM   #1
moesciphish
(male)

moesciphish HB User
gastroparesis and Reglan questions...

Ok, so my GI thinks I have gastroparesis because my stomach emptying scan came back at 89 minutes,.. where the max "normal" is 90 minutes. This would probably explain alot of why I belch after meals and can taste the food. However, after and endoscopy and such... he said he didn't know why I would have it, unless I had an infection of the stomach at some point, which I don't remember ever having. He wants me to go on Reglan... which I have only heard bad things about... is there an other "natural" ways to help with emptying? I used to eat insanely fast and alot... I've since slowed down and eat smaller meals. The protonix and that seemed to have made things better. I really don't want to go on the Reglan if I don't have to.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2006, 08:49 PM   #2
Barrygood
(male)

Barrygood HB User
Re: gastroparesis and Reglan questions...

moesciphish....Reglan is a "lousy" medication. Unfortunately there are not very good medications available for motility problems. Reglan is also associated with depression as a side effect. I would recommend you seening a "legitimate" Herbalist American or Chinese. Just be careful though, because there are many frauds out there who will tell you that they can treat everything.

Old 04-18-2006, 11:24 PM   #3
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Reglan does not effect everyone the same -- much like all medication..
Who knows it may just work for you??
I would suggest you try it -- then you will know!!

I wish you well~~~Harry

Old 04-19-2006, 04:39 AM   #4
clill_IU

clill_IU HB User

89 minutes is fine. I thought I had gastroparesis as well....belching, gas, pain in upper gut, etc. I had a gastric emptying scan done and I think it emptied in about 80 minutes or so. I just found research at the University of Wisconsin that show that the the average is 92.4 for HALF the contents....just eat smaller meals...no reason for drugs..

also, you may have functional dyspepsia which is very common....look it up!

Chris

Old 04-19-2006, 05:18 PM   #5
moesciphish
(male)

moesciphish HB User

Chris,

Yeah, I really don't like the listed side effects of this stuff... and I HATE meds anyway... when I had the test done.. I was on protonix and because I had to lie there for 90 mins.. I went to sleep... this has to have some effect on it... I know food doesn't digest and leave the stomach as fast when you sleep, that's why you should eat before bed...

what's even more strange, is I skipped my protonix for today because I am on a Holter monitor (who knows if there is any reason for skipping it, just did) and I really haven't had any really bad belching episodes or reflux pain... I've eaten three small meals, half a sub, the other half, and then a sandwich, carrots, and broccoli, and really haven't had excessive belching like I would before... I've come to manage ALOT of my anxiety and stress... though I have other stress because I have sinus tachycardia for some reason, but I think managing the anxiety has helped my stomach alot... I'd like to go off the protonix completely if possible... and see how things go... for people who are on PPI's the rest of their lives, I've read long term use led to cancer in lab rats...hell... if my Holter tests come back ok... I'm probably going to drop all meds and forget about everything...

Also.. I noticed when I was extremely stressed and anxious is when the belching was the worst... when I'm calm, I only get occasional belching...

btw.. did you ever find out what you had if it wasn't gastroparesis? Do you think you just have functional dyspepsia?

Last edited by moderator4; 04-19-2006 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Repeating Quote is not needed.

Old 04-19-2006, 11:52 PM   #6
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Moescip,

Belching is caused mainly from swollowing too much air. Go to the top of this page and do a Google search for-- controlling intestinal gas-- there are alot of good sites to read about controlling gas.

But, your Major problem is you borders on having a digestive system that barely functions. I think --You need to do whatever is required to help treat it properly!!

I have been on this board since 10/1999 and have read alot about people with full blown Gastroparesis that were diabetic or with thyroid problems & ailments unknown and the stories are very bad & sad --- you don't want to be there --- it will flat mess up your life and you're digestion is only several minutes away and now treatable.

I think you need to follow your Doctor's recommendations.
You may not like the possible medication side --effects but who does or the diet restrictions but if you progress to Gastroparesis you will gladly take the meds and diet--- at least that is what the members here have written about.
I hope you have done a search on Gastroparesis???

I wish you well ~~~Harry

Closed Thread