It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

HIDA Scan issue

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-06-2006, 05:14 PM   #1
Toneman
(male)

Toneman HB User
HIDA Scan issue

I ama 48 year old male that has been experiencing chest pain for over a year. I have had two caridac workups over 14 months, the most recent 30 days ago, both came back normal. Since they gave me a clean bill of health on my heart, my doctor next had an ultrasound of my abdomen done as I was also having back pain and pain under my right shoulder blade and found a significant amount of sludge in my gallbladder and sceduled me for a HIDA scan.

While having the HIDA scan done, they did the first half and after my gallbladder filled with the tracer, they asked to do another ultrasound as it had been over 30 days since my last one. While doing the ultrasound, the tech said she saw the same thing as the first, but also saw a shadow and said she believed the sludge was really layered stones. After manipulating my gallbladder and doing some additional scans, she had the Radiologist look at the results and he came in and said that is was indeed layered stones and that they would not be able to do the CCK injection part of the test, it would be far too painful and may damage the gallbladder. I have been in terrible pain since they separated these stones.

When my doctor got the results he said my gallbladder was not diseased, just full of stones with one in the gallbladder neck. He said I could see a surgeon if I felt I needed the relief from the pain so I have an appointment in two days.

Has anyone else had ths experience? Will they remove a gallbladder just because of gallstones or only if it is diseased?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2006, 05:42 PM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: HIDA Scan issue

Absolutely they will remove it! I only had one - a whopper though - and out it went. You will find it is damaged once they get it out. The stones roll around and scrape the bladder. If you have this many stones, it needs to come out before they rupture something. Good luck!

Old 05-07-2006, 09:06 AM   #3
kehorner
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Especially with the stone in the neck... The reason they didn't want to do the CCK is because they didn't want that stone to block the duct and cause major issues. Of course, that stone (or any others) could move at any time and block the duct and cause serious pain, inflammation, infection, etc... So yes, a surgeon will absolutely remove it with those results. Probably asap, too.

Old 05-08-2006, 06:09 PM   #4
Toneman
(male)

Toneman HB User

You were correct, I saw the surgeon today and went over the scan results. There are "several small stones" in the gallbladder neck that look to be restricting the flow of bile back out of the gallbladder. They did not do the CCK injection because they did not want to cause any further unjury.

Thanks for your input! It comes out next week and I am really looking forward to having it gone!

Old 05-08-2006, 06:37 PM   #5
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Good luck! Keep us posted. Be sure to stick to a fat free diet for several weeks after surgery.

Closed Thread