It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

Anyone know if gastroparesis can be caused by celiac?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-10-2006, 02:30 PM   #1
moesciphish
(male)

moesciphish HB User
Anyone know if gastroparesis can be caused by celiac?

Just curious... my GI thinks I have borderline gastroparesis... which is causing reflux and other stomach symptoms... though he doesn't know why I would have it... I've lost about 21lbs in 2 months, though some to diet change, but I can't help think that some is not just from diet... I have muscle and joint aches, I'm assuming from malnutrition... so I was wondering if celiac could be causing this? He did an EGD and didn't mention anything about it... I'd really like to get to the bottom of the underlying cause...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2006, 11:44 PM   #2
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Anyone know if gastroparesis can be caused by celiac?

While you doctor was examining you during the endo --- did he examine your small intestines for villi damage a sure sign of celiac??

Old 05-12-2006, 09:56 AM   #3
moesciphish
(male)

moesciphish HB User

I know he went into the small intestines some.. but I don't know if he was expressly looking for villi damage... I imagine if he saw some he would have said something... but wouldn't you have to have a more thorough examination of the small intestines to see it? I'm trying to find a cause for gastroparesis....

Old 05-13-2006, 05:53 PM   #4
new2indiana
(female)

new2indiana HB User

you need to specifically request the dr to test for celiac or they dont..most doctors are very ignorant on the subject. You can even start with a simple blood test. and yes, celiac can cause many gastro illnesses

Old 05-13-2006, 07:11 PM   #5
moesciphish
(male)

moesciphish HB User

ok... the reason I ask is because with my "possible" gastroparesis (89 minute half emptying during gastric emptying scan) I have experienced ALOT of weight loss, some explained, but I can't imagine all.. 21+lbs in 2 months... also I am very fatigued.. feel slow mentally and physically, usually increasing through the day.. goes away some if I rest. I notice too that my mental sluggishness goes way with rest. I've had major joint and muscle aches, alot more joint popping, alot of chest pains... I'm scared to think that if I have malabsorption or malnutrition and it's causing these body aches, what it could be doing to my organs... I've tried to eat less quantities more often, but doesn't seem to help... I'm not trying to drink 2 Ensure a day and see if that helps... I also get bad headaches when I start to feel this way also.. like my body isn't getting the nourishment it is supposed to...

Closed Thread