It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

Anyone with gallstones have this?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-11-2006, 05:53 AM   #1
2littlemonkeys

2littlemonkeys HB User
Anyone with gallstones have this?

As I posted before I have gallstones, my surgery is scheduled for Tuesday. I am very ready to have it out and for all of this be over with. I have nearly every symptom EXCEPT the massive pain. I get twinges occassionally, or that feeling like a baby's foot up under my ribs, or a day or 2 of feeling like my whole right side is bruised. I am really nauseous and get bad indigestion with a lot of gas and pressure. I have occassionally vomited bile. I have had reactions to foods like eggs and chocolate, among other things. I wake in the early morning most days with a general feeling of nausea. My stool is often a pale yellow/very light tan color, though what's on the toilet paper definitely looks yellow.

The nagging part is that when my stool is soft (typically on days I feel the worst with nausea and gas) it tends to be very narrow. When it's not soft it tends to be of a more normal size. Can gall bladder issues have this kind of effect? Has anyone else experienced something similar? I know I have become a major worrier with this illness and my mind refuses to let go of the fact that narrow stools mean cancer. But my rational mind says that they would be narrow all the time, regardless of consistency.

I also got my period yesterday and have this pinching feeling near/on my left ovary. This is not a normal PMS symptom for me but I am trying to chalk it up to my period and let it go at that without allowing it to be one more reason I freak myself out.

Anyway, I guess I just want some reassurance that someone else with stones can relate...

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2006, 05:56 AM   #2
dan325
(female)

dan325 HB User
Re: Anyone with gallstones have this?

You just wrote my whole situation to a tee! I can't believe how similar our symptoms are! My doctor says no gallbladder because I don't have pain and she has not checked it. I have that same feeling on my right side like there is maybe a baby's foot or something poking me. I don't have the bruised feeilng, but i feel nauseous in the morning and have the yellowish light colored stool that is loose mostly all the time. What tests did you have done for this? I'm sick of it too and I've lost weight either because of it or because of the constant worry and anxiety over it.

Old 05-11-2006, 06:02 AM   #3
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Sounds very much like your GB. Not everyone has all the symptoms. A friend of mine had only the nausea and they kept thinking it was food poisoning. But it kept persisting and when they did an ultrasound, there those stones were. I didn't start getting the nausea until about 2-3 weeks before my surgery. All I'd had was the side pain and gas. The only tests are an ultrasound for stones and a HIDA scan for function. The ultrasound is usually done first. If no stones show up or only sludge, they will do the HIDA scan next. Good luck to both of you.

Old 05-11-2006, 07:04 AM   #4
2littlemonkeys

2littlemonkeys HB User

dan, I had an ultrasound to look at my GB. I was very fortunate to have a great doctor that said, well, it's not typical of gallstones, but let's take a look just to be safe. They easily saw stones in there because while she wouldn't tell me anything, the u/s tech asked almost immediately after putting the wand (? what's that thing called anyway lol) on me "Now you did fast before this, right?" That led me to immediately think she was seeing something on there that wasn't supposed to be. I still haven't had a chance to ask anyone how many there are b/c the surgeon was rushed the day I met with him. But they're there and while on one hand I'm fortunate to not have the pains, it would have been a much easier and shorter road had I had a classic attack. I delayed going to the doc for probably 6-8 weeks because my symtpoms were all so vague and inconsistent. One episode of massive pain and it probably would've been over long ago. Don't be discouraged if no stones show up on u/s, the HIDA could show problems too. If I were you I'd find a new doctor, or go in and um, fib, and say you been having some pains just so she'll get you checked out. I was never so relieved as the day my nurse called to say they'd found the problem. My husband says he's never heard anyone so happy to hear they had to have surgery. But it was like a validation that I wasn't insane and these symptoms were all real! I just wish I could get my anxiety riddled mind to accept it when I get new symptoms! LOL!

I have lost nearly 30 pounds since mid-February. A definite combination of the illness itself and the anxiety it has caused me. My poor family is ready for their mommy and wife to return! And so am I!

You mention the yellow stools too. Are they narrow as well? Nothing will put my mind at ease more over the next couple of days til my surgery than to know that others have that symptom. I am in my early 30s and there's no history of cancer in my family so I rationally know that it's so improbable, but man, my rational side doesn't seem to be able to beat the irrational side in an argument lately!

I have another post here, down the page a little way about gallstone symtpoms no "attacks" that details things a little more. I feel like I'm being such an idiot for posting again but when you've never been sick before you just seem to want the constant reassurance. I keep telling my boys I'm gonna make them be doctors when they grow up so I'll have immediate answers to all my questions as I get older instead of waiting for appointments!

Good luck to you, let us know if you can make some headway with your doctor and where that leads you.

And thanks for the good luck Titchou!

Old 05-11-2006, 07:13 AM   #5
dan325
(female)

dan325 HB User

Thanks so much. I too am hoping they will find something so my husband doesn't continue to think I'm a total nut case!! I will definitely keep you posted.

Old 05-11-2006, 07:32 AM   #6
dan325
(female)

dan325 HB User

I called my doctor to get an ultrasound of the Gallbladder and she says they "need a reason." I said "I'm nauseous every day!" We'll see what she decides. It's my money paying for it. It's nothing out of their pocket. If she doesn't do it I'll go elsewhere. I need to start diagnosing myself. This isn't normal the way I feel and nobody seems to understand that. I'm thin as it is. I don't need to lose any more weight. It's all so frustrating. I've been dealing with this on and off since December. I can recall times being in the bathroom breaking out in a cold sweat while going and then it disappears. Eating fatty foods sends me straight to the bathroom. Nauseous when I wake up in the middle of the night. Maybe I'm trying to convince myself there is something there that is not. I don't know.

Closed Thread