It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

Hida Scan ?'s

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-16-2006, 10:28 AM   #1
LALA6
(female)

LALA6 HB User
Hida Scan ?'s

I am very curious to know how many of you out there have had gallbladder problems with no stones?If so what was ejection fraction on your gallbladder.I am currently suffering constant gallbladder problems and so far all they have found is an ef of 29%.I have seen through the posts that a few have mentioned not having stones and still having gallbladder removed.What were your symptoms?How did you make the decision to have it out.I guess I am asking alot but this whole thing is going to drive me nuts.I would sincerely appreciate any feedback.Thank You in advance for your time.........
God Bless
Heather

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2006, 11:26 AM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Hida Scan ?'s

I had mine out due to stones but you should keep one thing in mind...the ejection rate will only get worse. It can never improve. So if you are willing to deal with that, so be it. If not, you should have it out. There are no other alternatives.

Old 05-16-2006, 11:29 AM   #3
quenterry0
(female)

quenterry0 HB User

I have no stones and my EF was 16% in 2005 and in 2006 it is 15%. I am scheduled for surgery May 22. Good Luck!

Teresa

Old 05-16-2006, 03:49 PM   #4
schao
Senior Veteran
(female)

schao HB User

Hi Heather:

My ejection fraction was 0%--my gallbladder was not working at all. I just had it out on May 11th. I was having abdominal pain and lots of back pain. I really didnt consider not having it out b/c I figured it doesnt do me any good having a diseased organ in my body--and if its not working anyways and causing me pain--why not get it out. Are you having a lot of pain?

schao

Old 05-16-2006, 03:51 PM   #5
schao
Senior Veteran
(female)

schao HB User

Oh yeah, I didnt have any stones either.

schao

Old 05-16-2006, 06:44 PM   #6
paula43
(female)

paula43 HB User

I had an ejection fraction rate of 14% last month. I had my gallbladder removed 4 days ago. I chose to do this because I was told by the GI dr. and the surgeon that I could eventually develop stones and/or pancreatitis and it's dangerous to leave a half dead gallbladder inside of us. More than this, I was tired of having pain attacks...there could have been tiny stones all along that weren't seen and passed before the hida scan. I was tired of having sonogram after sonogram showing no stones but feeling like an electric drill was going through my upper back, also doubling over from right sided pain for so many years. I bless the day I finally got the hida scan. I wish they had suggested it years ago. I would vomit sometimes after eating fats for the past 30 years and never knew why! I spoke to the dr. briefly with a question and he told me that my gall bladder was quite diseased looking and inflamed. That's what caused the pain. It doesn't get better. If this surgery will help me feel good again, it will have been worth this. Heather, please ask away. I know this is confusing without stones...I must have read a thousand websites before I made my decision. I just could not stand living in pain anymore and got to the point where I'd do anything. Read our threads...the pain is tolerable afterwards. I get some wicked jabs every now and then but it's better than living in terror for the rest of my lfe that I'll have to go to the ER with a stone or who knows what. Now it's over. May have some problems after, will watch what I eat and am hoping for the best. Please keep us posted on your thoughts and decision and good luck! Your rate isn't quite as low as most of ours so maybe you're thinking you'll forego the surgery but if you're suffering, what do you have to lose?

Old 05-16-2006, 07:20 PM   #7
LALA6
(female)

LALA6 HB User

Thank You all for your responses.Yes I am in pain.It started almost exactly a year ago.At first I had what I call bubbles in my right side and occasional heartburn.This eventually led to an "attack".I am assuming that it was a gallbladder attack.It is like a popping in my right side followed by severe pain that travels up my back and into my right shoulder.This has happened a few times over the past year.Following these attacks I seem to get steady aches and sometimes sharp pains or burning in my right side that last for days sometimes weeks and it doesnt really matter what I eat.So anyway when this happened one of the first times a year ago i went to gi dr.I had a ultrasound to check for stones and they found none.So I had an endoscopy and he found a hiatal hernia and acid reflux so put me on ppis.I tried a couple and have been on nexium for about 7 months.I more or less just got by for months.I would have these attacks, suffer for awhile and then be o.k. for awhile.Have stayed on strict diet and done all the things they say to do for reflux.About a month ago got a bad attack and went back to gi.He sent me for another ultrasound,no stones so he sent me for hida scan.He called me and said it was 29% and that he didnt think a surgeon would warrant it yet and to try some pills(bentyl?)Needless to say I havent tried them.Last week went to new gp and she said that she does not agree and that i should have it out,but wanted a ct to rule out stones.I havent gotten the results yet.I am due to go back next week so I may not know till then.Needless to say I have had steady pain/discomfort in urq,back,shoulder since then.I have other issues to that I do not know if they are related or not.Aching joints,shoulders,weak legsAnd a wierd like pressure on my diaghram that makes it feel like its hard to breathe or i have to think about stopping to take deep breath(strange)I do understand that some of this could be nerves/anxiety.But I do believe that struggling with this all is the culprit.Sorry this is so long I am just sick of worrying and not feeling well.I have three small kids 9,7,6 And I cant help but worry that it is something bad or worse if it isnt my gallbladder.It feels good to vent to other who will actually understand where I am coming from.May You all be Blessed------Heather

Old 05-16-2006, 08:22 PM   #8
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

If your ejection rate is that low, you need to have the blamed thing out. It's not going to improve. Find someone wholl take it out. Good luck!

Old 05-16-2006, 08:37 PM   #9
paula43
(female)

paula43 HB User

Heather, I also have a hiatal hernia and reflux. Very common, about 50% of people have a hiatal hernia. I am also on a PPI for years and am wondering if the pain I get in my upper back is from the reflux, gas or from the gall bladder. I guess time will tell. Sometimes it happens even if I don't anything that's contraindicated with reflux. My bed is raised, I pretty much don't eat anything acidic even though I'm on the PPIs. This should be interesting, to see how I feel once the first few months of adjustment pass. I've come to the conclusion that no food is worth the pain it causes....but I am human and I'm sure I'll give in once in a while and have something I crave. Please know that even if your cat scan shows no stones, you could be passing tiny ones that don't even show on a sonogram. Stones alone shouldn't be your deciding factor. Like Titchou said, get the blamed thing out! It's not working, regardless if there's stones or not. When they remove it, they will tell you how it looked. Mine looked inflamed and "floppy", just plain diseased with no stones. Good riddance to it, I say!

Old 05-17-2006, 05:13 AM   #10
LALA6
(female)

LALA6 HB User

Yes,I have pretty much decided that once these other tests come back I will definately take the referral to the surgeon.It just has been a long frustrating year because for months I was told that it wasnt my gallbladder.I know I get alot of pain from the reflux but the gallbladder is definately different type pain.I am anxious to see if I have it out if the reflux will lessen.Since the two started around the same time.I am so sick of worrying,and trying to explain to people that when you have this much pain in your chest/back and liver its hard to convince yourself its not your heart or lungs.The newest doctor even gave me a prescription for prozac and not that I am against it but I really dont think I need it.I know my body and I know something is wrong.Any way I could go on all day.Thank You again ...this really helps.
Heather

Closed Thread