It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Prilosec-works or not???what up?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-26-2001, 01:12 PM   #1
    maggiejon

maggiejon HB User
    Angry Prilosec-works or not???what up?

So in early January, I noticed this "lump in my throat" sensation. I was also experience
    what I believe were panic attacks (but now
    I think they could be GERD related breathing probs.). I went to the doctor and he thought i was experience panic disorder - put me on zoloft.
    well, the "lump in the throat" sensation persisted, and I went to the ENT for a sinus infection. I explained to him my symptoms of the lump in my throat and constant need to belch and hiccup. He suggested GERD and put me on Prilosec - 20mg. NO tests were done.
    now, I have been on Prilosec for nearly 2 months. I am still experiencing that lump in my throat feeling - although it is not as prominent as it was before Prilosec.
    Any suggestions on what my prob. is.
    I don't experience frequent heartburn and I Don't have wet burps - so I am not sure what is going on. should i suggest upper GI tests??
    I feel like my docs don't know what they are talking about.
    Mags

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2001, 04:42 PM   #2
    dberry

dberry HB User
    hey maggie. I think I replied to you on another board. Coincidentally I went to my gastro. today and before prescribing any medication for the lump in my throat he is going to do an upper GI and possibly stretch it if it needs it. Have you ever heard anything like this before? You should ask for tests if the prilosec isn't working I was on prevacid and it wasn't working. This test has me scared though. Good luck!

Old 03-27-2001, 06:36 PM   #3
    Mattsmummum

Mattsmummum HB User
    Mags, my mother-in-law had the same symptoms as you and she had a goiter on her thyroid. Last February she had it removed and it was rather large and benign, thankfully. She is on thryroid medication now.

Old 03-28-2001, 01:37 PM   #4
    maggiejon

maggiejon HB User
    Wink

Thanks for the response ya'll!!
    When i went to the ENT, he did look down my throat and he felt my neck around my thyroid
    gland - said all was well.
    The only GERD symptoms I have are the lump, dry throat, and burping/hiccups - no heartburn. I suppose it could be LPR. I am all the time researching and looking for answers.
    maybe hiatal hernia - don't know. I don't physically feel bad and it is not disturbing my quality of life too much - just annoying as hell.
    Afraid to go have test done - though.
    heard upper GI tests are awful.

Old 04-01-2001, 04:34 PM   #5
    royalarrival

royalarrival HB User
    hi
    the upper GI test isn't that bad. It's called an upper endoscopy, esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD). they give you medication via intraveinous. (demerol and perocet). it knocked me out. they then spray medication in your throat to numb it. they insert a scope down your esophagus. the scope is as big in diameter as your ring finger. I don't remember the procedure at all. some minor problems may persist after the procedure. such as mild sore throat, bloating, or cramping. symtoms should disappear in 24 hours or less. the bloating is from the air they put in to expand the esophagus and stomach to check things out. fortunately I didn't experience any on these symtoms. I just had a little gas for a day. I just had the test done on march 27, 2001. they didn't find anything and the biopsy was normal. unfortunately I still suffer my pain and pressure in my sternum area after having my gall bladder out.
    but really the test wasn't bad at all.
    maybe it will shine light on your problem.

Closed Thread