It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• I can't eat...I need help urgently

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-26-2001, 11:09 PM   #1
    george76

george76 HB User
    Unhappy I can't eat...I need help urgently

Hi. I'm just going to get right to my symptoms, because I can't take it anymore. These symptoms have been gradually increasing for about a month now. I apologize for the lengthiness of this, but there is no other way.
    First, I constantly feel that I have to swallow, all of the time. At first I thought it was post-nasal drip, but it isn't. It feels as though the walls of my esophagus are touching themselves, like a lump in my throat just below and behind my Adam's Apple.
    So I'm always trying to swallow down this lump. when I try to not swallow for a minute, I eventually have to, because I feel like I'll gag otherwise.
    For the last week and a half, I have only been able to eat breakfast easily (a bowl of cereal), but that's it. I never really get hungry. If I do, it lasts about a minute, and then just turns into a kind of uncomfortable feeling. A while after I eat, i feel as though I have drunk way too much water (you know the feeling?), and then it starts to feel as though the food wants back up, probably because of the throat "lump"...All I can do is pace around, swallowing incessantly, wishing I could at least belch, which occasionally I do, but then I just keep swallowing more air.
    When I do eat, I can only take little tiny bites, which I frequently have to swallow with a drink. It just doesn't feel like the food is going down. Sometimes, after a bite, it seems like my skin crawls all over, and the skin on my chest gets hot. I often start from my chair as I swallow, in a sort of panic.
    Today, on top of this, I have diahrrea, but it won't move out on it's own. I don't want to strain, though. So I really really can't eat today. But if I don't, how will I go?
    This is really horrible. I am losing weight rapidly, I'm sure (I'm already a very small person, at 5'4" and 110-115lbs, with a high metabolism)...I went through this before, in October. I couldn't eat very well until June. At one point, I did have a bona fide inflammed stomach lining, where the stomach meets the intestine, but that was supposedly easily fixed. The rest was my extreme anxiety, which only feeds the problem..I want to see a doctor, but I fear they will tell me nothing is wrong, as they often did before. I'm inclined to believe them, but that leaves me feeling incurable..Supposedly it's all in my head. But I can't seem to trick myself this time. What could it be? Am I just crazy? Or could there really be something wrong here?
    Please, someone steer me in the right direction. I'm losing energy not eating, and It's really getting me down. What if I can never eat again?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2001, 11:42 PM   #2
    sunny9211

sunny9211 HB User
    If you suffer from anxiety it is probably a result of that. I would drink Ensure in the meantime to get nutrients and see a doctor. You might have severe reflux.

Old 08-27-2001, 12:01 PM   #3
    LNAPE
    Inactive

LNAPE HB User
    Have you been to the doctor and did they check your thyroid.

Linda

Old 08-27-2001, 12:17 PM   #4
    kdoubleu

kdoubleu HB User
    It is possible that at least some of your symptoms are caused by anxiety, but I'm guessing that there is a physical reason for what is going on and that was probably the original cause. It's possible that the anxiety came along with the physical discomfort, after all, I'd be very anxious too if I were experiencing your symptoms. A lot of us understand the discouragement of being told by docs that there is nothing wrong. But it's necessary to keep trying. Keep seeing different docs. Keep looking for info on-line and in books. Don't let the docs get you down. You need to get help as you sound like you are going to become malnourished soon.

Old 08-27-2001, 01:36 PM   #5
    george76

george76 HB User
    My thyroid? Geez...I hadn't thought of a possibility like that (perhaps I shouldn't...)
    I moved recently, and haven't yet found a new doctor. I know I should, and I'll do that hopefully within a week. I'm going to try the Ensure for now, for nourishment. I just have so many things going on right now, class scheduling problems and whatnot that I need to work around to fit in an appointment.
    Where is the thyroid located exactly, and what might be the problem with it that would cause these symptoms?
    No matter what a doctor says, this must be a physical problem...I know I'm anxious, but I always was and I've never had a problem with it until this past year.
    Thanks!

Old 08-29-2001, 09:28 PM   #6
    DarkStarWon

DarkStarWon HB User
    I thought it was just me,,,,,but my worst foods are lettuce, spaghetti sauce or any kind of tomato based sauce, vinegar and over eating.....I'm guaranteed up all night if I eat spaghetti and salad with italian dressing.....But my problem is just terrible burping, chest tightness and nausea.....I don't really get heartburn too much ever....I had an upper gi 2 years ago and it came out fine....but now I'm wondering if it could be a hiatal hernia....dr just told me I had gerd....but I thought gerd was more of refluxing acid into the throat...I usually never feel anything coming up....it's just the terrible burping that drives me crazy....and it's also when I don't eat at all...I will wake up in the morning and have an empty stomach and burp like I just ate a five course meal....Do you think all my burping could just be too much air swallowing...but how do you stop that...You have to eat, talk and breath!!! Why do these foods bother a hernia...?? Thx for any input you might have...Glad to see I'm not alone in the foods that bother me the most...yet I can eat a boatload of onions and they don't bother me....doesn't make sense...

Old 08-29-2001, 10:43 PM   #7
    george76

george76 HB User
    Sounds familiar...I wake up hungry most of the time, but it's an odd kind of hunger that kind flips back and forth between full and hungry. So I eat anyway, because I figure my body must want me to. I have no problem with cereal...well, it makes me feel uncomfortable for about five minutes when I'm done...but nothing like what pbj sandwiches or Nutri-Grain bars(?!) do...I feel awful for an hour or so when I eat those.
    I don't get the acidity, either. Just the stuck throat, tight chest and nausea. It's really annoying that all these symptoms could be attributed to a thousand different illnesses (or none at all)..I think this time I'm just going to try waiting it out and see if once the school year gets going and I'm busy all the time maybe I'll be distracted from all of this and start feeling normal again...I guess I'll check with the doctor anyway, if anything just to hear a professional opinion.
    It is nice to know I'm not alone (not to say I'm happy for your condition...)
    -George

Closed Thread