It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Anyone have a constant cough with GERD?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-09-2002, 08:47 AM   #1
    Miche

Miche HB User
    Unhappy Anyone have a constant cough with GERD?

My Dr. thinks I have GERD, no testing yet, though this coming week they will start the tests. For the last 4 years I've had this horrible cough, with little phlegm come up. It feels like my throat gets tight and I have phlegm in there to cough up, and after lots of coughing a tiny amount will come up, and then the process will start over again. I don't have heartburn, but sometimes I do have food or liquid come back up in my throat when I burp. I've been tested for asthma, and it is negative, I use a peak flow meter and it shows it's normal, even when I'm coughing so bad I can't catch my breath. I've been tested for allergies, with minimal things positive, although I do know that some chemicals really bother me, and I do have post nasal drip. Also, sometimes it feels like food or liquid won't go down right away, takes me a few swallows. Sorry so long, but does anyone have this, could this be an ulcer or hernia instead? I think they are doing an upper GI series, will that tell me, or do I need an endoscope done? Thank you for taking the time to read this long post, I look forward to hearing anyones reply. Miche

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2002, 06:24 PM   #2
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
    It sounds very much like GERD. I, too, get that cough (although it't not constant), but it's as if something's stuck in your throat and you have to cough it up, and it turns out to be just a bit of phlegm.

As far as the upper GI versus a scope, I never had an upper GI; I was diagnosed through endoscopy.

A couple of things you can do which may help: Don't each large meals, but rather 3 small meals and 2-3 snacks (you can save part of your meal for a snack to have later). Also, try raising the head of your bed )bricks or some kind of blocks usually work)...this keeps you on a very slight slant and helps keep food/saliva down at night.

Closed Thread