It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Can someone help me, Duodenal Ulcer?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-07-2002, 02:24 PM   #1
    djtech

djtech HB User
    Post Can someone help me, Duodenal Ulcer?

Hello,

Any help regarding my condition would be wonderful. I currently suffer from what what diagnosed by an endoscopy as inflamated stomach, duodenum possibly leading into a duodenal ulcer...Hopefully not though...Anyhow I have been on a pretty strict diet but cannot seem to lick this thing...I take two zantac 75 a day...One in the morning and one at night...Seems to help...Had terrible side effects with the more popular Proton Pump Inhibitor drugs like Prevacid/Nexium etc...Plus, it seems that if I take too much of this Antacid stuff I get a lot of bloating and gas...I believe this is causing me indigestion or malabsorbtion...It feels that way anyhow...Its a catch 22 though, because the low acid helps me recover from the irritation in my duodenum and stomach but too low acid gave me the malabsorbtion issue...So my question is, how can I intensify the creation of the mucous membranes in these areas of my stomach so it can protect itself from the acids so I donít have to take as much antacid? By the way what lead me to my issues was constant swallowing of Advil several times a week for several years without the proper food with it apparently...And lots of stress on top of that they said...So what regimen I guess would really start to add a lot of mucous membrane in my duodenum and stomach? I currently eat applesauce, ricebread, canned peaches, peanut butter cookies, canned green beans, corn pops & rice milk for cereal, cantaloupe, watermelon, carrots, tried cooked cabbage/potatoes/carrots in a soup yesterday (yum), rice, oatmeal, sometimes halibut and fresh sliced turkey, eggs, and thatís about it honestly...So anything you all can recommend for the above or even in that list that should not be eaten...I can't tell you all how much any help would be appreciated, everyone here sounds extremely knowledgable and friendly...Thanks so much

Regards,
    DJ

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2002, 06:17 AM   #2
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
    Hi, there. Sorry to hear about your problems, but I can relate since I've suffered from GERD and IBS for years. You might want to consider something like acidophilus capsules or the digestive enzymes that others talk about on this board.

Harry seems to have lots of good advice regarding these remedies.

Good luck,
    Katie G

[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 09-12-2002).]

Old 07-10-2002, 09:23 AM   #3
    purplefluffything

purplefluffything HB User
    Hi DJTECH,

Sorry to hear about your condtion, Now if you had got a duodenal ulcer that had perferated i could have advised(Thank god you havent) My Husband had a perferated one and as a lovely 12inc scar on his belly to show for it, It was caused by the steroids he was taking for another prob he had.

I wonder if you may help me, I don;t want to worry my husband but you say your imflamation was caused by your meds! well i too am taking meds for a back prob and have done for almost a year, Now i know to be careful because of what happened to my hubbie. But can i ask what symptoms you were getting to make you feel like you had something wrong? I have been getting a stinging and deep pain in the upper part of my tum, also loose stools not black (as my husbands were) but quiet dark though. Do you think i have anything to rush to the docs about? as i said i don't want to worry my husband unnessary.

Thanks Purple x

Closed Thread