It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Has anybody had an EGD w/ Dialation?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-11-2003, 07:23 AM   #1
    Temperamental
    Veteran

Temperamental HB User
    Post Has anybody had an EGD w/ Dialation?

Hello everyone. I saw my gastroenologist yesterday to follow up with my esophogram that came back showing I have a hiatal hernia and a cervical web around the opening of my esophagus. It turns out I have quite a big closure of my esophagus, making the opening only 11mm and the DR said normal is around 20mm. This has obviously caused me difficulty in eating and swallowing, especially pills. He recommended I get a dialation done which will expand the opening of my esophagus and make life much easier. He said its a short procedure and very little risk involved. He did tell me there is a very small chance (1-2%) that a tear might happen in my esophagus and then I would have to get surgery on that if that were to happen. He said risk especially at my age (30) and good health, risk is very minimal. Anyways
    I need to get this done becuse I'm tired of fighting with my body every time I eat, and I am unable to swallow almost all pills. Has anybody had this done? What should I expect? was there any discomfort after it?

Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2003, 08:02 AM   #2
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    It is a common practice to have to dilate your throat if it is too small. Some people with the right size sometimes have problems swallowing. It sound like you have a good Doctor that is telling you what to expect before something happens.

They usually don't tell you very much until the problem comes up during the procrdure???

Take Care---Harry

Old 03-11-2003, 11:04 AM   #3
    ashpie
    Inactive

ashpie HB User
    Hi, I am 29 and have also been having the same problems..I am having my egd done next week..I had one 4 years ago and the doctor dilated my esophagus..I didn't even know he did it..no side effects..what type of swallowing problems are you having..I feel like certains things like bread, soft pretzels , french fries stick at the bottom of my throat like a big lump..my barium swallow was normal though no obstructions just showed reflux

Old 03-11-2003, 11:25 AM   #4
    Temperamental
    Veteran

Temperamental HB User
    Hi thanks for the replies. I have always had a fear of choking since I was a little kid. When something gets stuck in my throat I panic. I chew my food up in very small pieces and swallow small amounts to avoid it. It takes me forever to eat a meal. I thought alot of the problem was mental since I had an esophogram done about 5 years ago and that supposedly showed nothing. Now, a cervical web and the hernia are showing up. Dr said its not all mental-I have a significant blockage on the opening of my esophogus and recommended a dialation.

My question is, what causes this web? Dr said nobody is sure but it might be from an iron deficiency, which I usually have.

Thanks!

Kim

Old 03-11-2003, 01:09 PM   #5
    ashpie
    Inactive

ashpie HB User
    do you suffer from acid reflux?

Old 03-11-2003, 03:30 PM   #6
    tmm35

tmm35 HB User
    i had my esophogus dialated back in aug.did you dr tell you that it was a 50%chance that the stricture could come back mine was closed to a 16 which my esophogus was literally digesting my food and they said with mine there was a good possibility of it comming back my esophogus was so erroded they diagnosed me with stage 4 barrets esophogus .i have an ulcer and acid reflux disease and a high hernia .they said for me to loose weight i have lost 30lbs and still having spasms in my esophogus and stomch.i wish you luck. tmm35.

Old 03-11-2003, 03:51 PM   #7
    ashpie
    Inactive

ashpie HB User
    Tmm35: how old are you and what symptoms were you having? were you able to eat anything?

Old 03-12-2003, 07:01 AM   #8
    Temperamental
    Veteran

Temperamental HB User
    According to my ENT she thinks I might have silent reflux although I rarely get heartburn or any of the symptoms accociated with reflux. I am not that overweight....probably about 20 lbs so I do think I need to lose a few, although none of my DR's have said so.

Tmm you said yours was closed to a 16? Mine is supposedly 11mm which is worse then?

Old 03-12-2003, 07:50 PM   #9
    chronic

chronic HB User
    I have the esphogus spasms and I am only 112 lbs! They started a couple months ago and are driving me insane. I thought they were heart problems but an EKG showed a great heart. I don't get heartburn very often but had a period where I had it for several days and was burping more than usual. My doc put me on Zantex which helped at first but then stopped working. Now I'm on prevacid which is working a little better, although nothing gets rid of the spasms completely. I have some everyday. Any advice or similarities that you guys notice?

Closed Thread