It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• had endoscope today-is it normal to biopsy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-19-2003, 02:34 PM   #1
    ashpie
    Inactive

ashpie HB User
    Post had endoscope today-is it normal to biopsy

HI, I finally had my scope done and the docotr said everything is normal..I find that hard to believe though,why would I have the food sticking in throat/chest if everything is normal..she also took biopsies why if everything is ok..she said if I don't feel better then the next step would be a motility study?? that could have something to do w/ the lump in throat/swallowing thing..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2003, 06:12 PM   #2
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Hi ashpie,
    It's normal to take a biopsy of areas that may look slightly different. If food or pills get stuck in your throat/ esophagus ----looking is not going to tell you very much but you know your stomach is normal looking.

There is a test that the pressure is measured as you take sips of water during swallowing. They can also dialate your throat.

God Bless---Harry

[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 03-19-2003).]

Old 03-19-2003, 06:15 PM   #3
    Bills41

Bills41 HB User
    Glad to hear all went well with the EGD. When they did mine on 3/4 they took a biopsy to check for Pyloric Bacteria I think they called it and it came back negative. I think that is fairly routine with the EGD. I am back from Florida and my swallowing has improved some, but not back to normal. I go see the GI doc next week and he may do some other tests like the motility test. I think he wants to try and eliminate a neuro-muscular problem with swallowing. I seem worse when stressed and I am still on Xanax for anxiety. There is a swallowing problem that is mostly emotional related called Globus Hystericus. We haven't ruled that out either. Take care and keep posting.

Old 03-19-2003, 06:33 PM   #4
    amybme

amybme HB User
    hi,

was wondering if the scope or biopsy hurt and what exactly they did to you.

I might be having one done and am a little scared.

Old 03-20-2003, 03:51 AM   #5
    ashpie
    Inactive

ashpie HB User
    Hi Amybme,
    The scope did not hurt at all..I was given a sedative that relaxes you so you're awake but don't remember anything..I did not feel the biopsy either..are you having problems w/ reflux or swallowing? I have not had any pain or sore throat afterwards either..

Old 03-20-2003, 04:59 AM   #6
    Bills41

Bills41 HB User
    amybme, mine went about the same as ashpie. It was my 2nd and I did have a sore throat for a day or two. Good luck!

Old 03-20-2003, 04:16 PM   #7
    amybme

amybme HB User
    The doctor isn't sure what is wrong with me. I went to him for stomach problems. He put me on nexium, but I haven't had acid or heartburn at all. I am having an upper GI and abdominal ultra-sound tomorrow. He mentioned a scope if nothing was found on these tests.
    I am not sure why.
    Did you have an IV?

Thanks for the posts!!!

Amy

Old 03-20-2003, 06:30 PM   #8
    Bills41

Bills41 HB User
    Yes, I had an IV started and wasn't aware of much of anything until it was over. The doctor talked to me afterward, but you have a slight amnesia and can't remember everything the doctor says, so it is good to have someone with you that can remember everything that was said by the doctor.

Old 03-23-2003, 01:40 PM   #9
    jsta

jsta HB User
    I have been on Prilosec and now Nexium since 1997 or so. Have been told Nexim might be causing the stomach polyps noted on Endoscopy. I have no choice though but to take it for severe GERD. Also 1st endoscopy in 2000 went fine, do not remember anything and ate afterwards with no sore throat etc. 2nd one done last week, I remember feeling the scope and it was hard getting down according to the Dr. so suffered a 3 day bad sore throat this time. The scary thing is that I nearly choked the other day on a vitamin that I took for the first time since last week. Felt like an area was contricted - hope it clears up and that it was not a result of the endoscopy. Anybody else with that problem?

Closed Thread