It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• acid reflux,shortness of breath

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-22-2003, 08:35 PM   #1
    777irish
    (female)

777irish HB User
    Unhappy acid reflux,shortness of breath

Im think Im going to loose it ...since last December ..I started with a flu (fever,sore throat, ect) and went into slight broncitus,..the Dr gave me antibiotics..within 3 days I was having shortness of breath...to make a long story short...I had this off and on (flu) for weeks...it would just keep coming back..I am feeling somewhat better (flu) but the shortness of breath has really got to me..I had a chest xray...ekg..and they were fine...but now...along with the shortness of breath..Im gettiing pain between my shoulder blades..burning in my chest..and pain in my top of my shoulders...feels like I have been punched..also pain in the very top of my stomach...well not pain exactly...discomfort and hard feeling...anyway I could go on here...but my question...is does this sound like Acid reflux...or Gallbladder..I had a hyda scan 1 1/2 yrs ago...it was normal...and also a ultra sound at the same time...and the reason I had that was because I had gone on an antiobiotic...and ended up with such severe sharp pain in my mid and left side of my stomach ..that I ended up in the er..thinking I was having a heart attack...sooo I know this has something to do with the antiobiotics again...but could this Acid reflux cause shortness of breath???? and the Gallbladder...could that also cause shortness of breath...and the upper back pain...??? Im sorry to go on and on...but this is going to throw me into a panic attack...cause Im just scared to death that I am dying of something awful....
    Just to add to this mess....I am menapausal..hypoglycemic, with migraines...boy Im a mess..!!!!! Any help would be appreciated thank you Jeanne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2003, 01:05 AM   #2
    Sarah68
    Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
    Talking

Yes, GERD can definitely cause SOB. Any cough or SOB that has been diagnosed as originating in the lungs and then does not respond to medication for that should have further investigation, as it could be coming from the stomach. This goes for coughs as well, as these can originate from the stomach and reflux. It is the pyloric sphincter muscle that becomes loose and lets things go back up the wrong way, thus the burning and reflux that you have.

As a kind of self help measure, I would suggest that you take some Acidophilus to try and recolonate the good bacteria in your gut after taking the antibiotics. This could help quite a lot, as after taking antibiotics, the balance of your gut bacteria will be incorrect, due to the antibiotics killing off everything.

Good luck.

Old 03-23-2003, 06:00 AM   #3
    sahein

sahein HB User
    If you are hypoglycemic ---DO Not Eat Anything That Contains Sugar!!! Get tested for H-Pylori. H-Pylori is the bacteria that causes stomach ulcers and also attacks the pancreas and is related to heart disease. Treatment is a multiple concoction with antibiotics over a 14 day period.

Old 03-23-2003, 07:35 AM   #4
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Arrow

Jeanne,
    Sorry about your problems.

Taking antibiotics can kill the good bacteria as well as the bad bacteria. When the bad bacteria get out of balance it messes up your Gastrointestinal tract it's called a yeast or candida infection. You may have to get an OTC antifungal remedy and as well as re-colonize your gastrointestinal tract.

Some OTC antifungal agents are Caprylic acid( sold as Caprystatin or Capralin by different manufacturers), Aloe Vera juice, Pau d'arco and there are others available at health food stores. A good one I have used recently after taking Cipro for 2 weeks--- is Kolorex but you have to buy it online.

Candida/ yeast fungus thrives on sugar and simple carbohydrate so you have to limit your intake. Eat protein and veggies ---you probably are doing that already to control your hypoglycemia anyway.

Start eating plain yogurt with live active cultures--- the more active cultures the better for friendly flora. There are some good ones at health food stores. I like Stonyfield Farm best but there are others. Also, PB-8 is a good probitic supplement that you probably need for awhile to help re-establish your friendly bacteria.

You should be taking a B vitamin complex like B-50 for the problems with menopauseal mood swings and hot flashes. Vitamin B-6 is very good.

I wish you well---Harry

[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 03-24-2003).]

Old 03-23-2003, 06:05 PM   #5
    777irish
    (female)

777irish HB User
    Thank you very much...kind people...I really needed to hear this....Jeanne

Closed Thread