It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

Can anyone help?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-11-2001, 06:20 AM   #1
Sherry

Sherry HB User
Question Can anyone help?

Hey guys,

I apologize in advance for the length of this post but I was wondering if someone can help me figure something out. I think my doctor's diagnosis is wrong.

For the past three weeks, I have been experiencing what I thought was indigestion. At first it occured randomly, but for the last week it has basically been a 24hour occurance. I saw my doctor and he told me that I probably burned or scratched my esophogus and that's why I am experiencing this "indigestion". He prescribed Ranidine and said that this will lower the amount of acid in my stomach.

Anyway, the pills don't help or at least the don't seem to be. In fact, I'm not even sure if it is indigestion that I have. I don't have any burning in my chest...I just have what feels like a "lump" in my throat and I have to keep constantly forcing myself to burp in order to get rid of it. It's almost as if my esophogus is contracting or something. The only way I can describe the feeling is this: if you eat peanut butter or something too big and swallow it, you know how it kind of hurts a bit and feels like its almost stuck? Well thats basically how I feel...almost as if the esophogus is spasming or contracting to try to get this food down. The funny thing about this condition is that I have it all day long but as soon as I eat supper, it goes away for the night...only to return again after breakfast.

Has anyone experienced this or can anyone point me in the right direction? I'd like to have something to go on when I go back to see the doctor.

Thank you all so much,
Sherry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2001, 01:02 AM   #2
kat28

kat28 HB User
It could possibly be GERD, read the post called "lump in my throat" in the digestive disorder forum. Hope this helps.

Old 04-14-2003, 07:27 PM   #3
Lynn1610

Lynn1610 HB User
Lightbulb

I have had similar symptoms and gone through several doctors (ENT, GI, Allergist, etc.) with no luck. I was also on just about every GERD medication available and still not luck (it just made my symptoms worse). Fortunately I now feel 100% better. Here is my story so that maybe it can help you:

My primary symptoms were lots of gas (air bubbles all over my body-in my back, rib cage, upper chest) which caused lots of burping. There was a lot of stomach gurmbling too. My other symptom was a 'lump in the throat' feeling. I attributed it to mostly one side of my throat (in my voice box area) but at times I felt in all over in that area. All of the doctors said it was acid reflux. I never really had any heartburn pain, though. I am only 28 years old, do not drink, smoke, not over weight - it just seemed too crazy for me to believe. I also couldn't figure out why it came on all of a sudden.

The one thing that it all came back to was stress. Looking back it is a lot easier for me to see that I was under a lot of stress just prior to the symptoms taking place - but then, of course, I thought that I had every disease in the book.

After doing some research, I learned that sometimes stress can cause you to have trouble digesting food. So, it wasn't that I had too much acid, my body had trouble digesting the food I had and there was no where for it to go so it created gas, etc. Stress can also cause tension in your muscles (especially your throat muscles). I also looked into TMJ as a possibility (it was suggested by a friend). The one side of my jaw ached at times and had a slight clicking noise when I chewed food but was not so annoying that I considered it a problem at the time. I learned that TMJ can cause the 'lump in the throat' feeling too. Apparently the jaw muscles all connect to each other and the throat muscles. When I massaged my jaw and the muscles from it down to my throat area, the lump in the throat feeling lessened.

I tried Acidophilus (lactose free)for the gas bubbles and went to the Chiropracter for the TMJ (for the first time ever). The Acidophilus made me even more gassy at least for a week and one half. I stuck to it though(one pill at lunch and another at dinner)and it really works.

The chiropracter REALLY worked for my lump in the throat problem. After just a few adjustments the lump in the throat feeling was gone. At first I started out with three visits a week. By the time I was ready for another visit I could feel the lump feeling returning. As soon (IMMEDIATELY) as he adjusted me (my neck) the lump feeling was gone. I am happy to say that it has been a month without an lump in the throat feeling!-Horray. My chiropracter explained that the TMJ is a factor but also the alignment of the vertebre in the neck can also cause tight throat and neck muscles (causing the lump in the throat feeling). Of course, all of these are caused by STRESS.

Good luck. Maybe you can try these things too and hopefully they will work for you like they did for me.

Old 04-17-2003, 07:45 PM   #4
tagger
Veteran
(female)

tagger HB User
Hi Sherrie,

Just a guess, but my Mom has Hiatus Hernia. When she has a "flare up" she has to have something to eat or drink quickly which I suppose pushes the hernia back into the muscle. She has explained that it feels like a sticky bump (extreme discomfort). Don't know if that helps.

Take Care...Tagger

Closed Thread