It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Nissen Fundoplication Reversal?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-10-2003, 06:14 AM   #1
    sportbeth

sportbeth HB User
    Question Nissen Fundoplication Reversal?

Has anyone had a laproscopic nissen done? Anyone had to have it reversed?

I had a nissen 3 years ago to help with GERD/hernia/acid reflux. My acid reflux is gone and my heartburn is much better but I am unable to burp or vomit. I have extreme gas and bloating that I did not notice before the surgery. I've tried to have the wrap dialated but found no relief. My doctor and I agree that my last resort now is to have the nissen reversed. Due to the complications of the nissen, I don't exactly have a warm fuzzy feeling about having surgery again. I'd be grateful for any advice or comments about this procedure.

Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to sportbeth For This Useful Post:
    DavidWB (05-28-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2003, 07:44 AM   #2
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
    Smile

Hi there. I had a lap Nissan done in 2001. Like you, gas build-up can be VERY painful, but I refuse to have mine reversed because I had Barrett's esophagus before surgery. So far, knock on wood, I've not had to vomit, but if I do and get the dry heaves, the doctor told me just to go to ER and get sedated until the virus passes.

As far as belching, sometimes I just have to wait until it comes out the other end (sorry to be so graphic), and just have to excuse myself for awhile. I know the gas pain can be terrible, and there are times I've had to leave the dinner table and sit at a 45 degree angle and just wait for the pain to pass.

If the doc undoes the wrap, what about your risk for GERD and esophageal damage? Have you tried Gas-X for excess gas? Sometimes that helps me.

I wish you well and keep me posted,
    Katie G

Old 04-11-2003, 10:07 AM   #3
    sportbeth

sportbeth HB User
    Thanks for the reply. I just met with my surgeon today to discuss the reversal. He said he would do it but he wasn't sure what the outcome would be. Now I'm trying to decide if I should get the wrap taken down or just deal with this for the rest of my life. I haven't decided yet.

I'm not as concerned about the erosion of my esophogas b/c they seem to be coming out with new medications for GERD all of the time. There's no medication for what I have now.

As far as Gas-x goes, it doesn't seem to have much of an effect on the gas at all. I've tried all kinds of different diets, lifestyle changes, and OTC meds but nothing seems to make a dent in the gas and bloating. Charcoal tablets are the only thing that seem to help at all. You might want to try them if you haven't already. Is your bloating so bad that you look pregnant at the end of the day? My waist goes up one to two pants sizes by the end of the day. If so, what do you do about it? At one point I thought about buying maternity pants but then decided against it. I have found that elastic is a good thing.

Anyway, thanks again for the reply. If I have the reversal I'll post the outcome.

Old 05-14-2003, 09:02 AM   #4
    judero

judero HB User
    Question

I had the Nissen Fundoplication in August 2000. Have had severe problems with gas/bloat syndrome and esophageal motility ever since. I am trying to find someone who has had it reversed to see how they did. What have you decided to do? Has your surgeon ever done a reversal?

Thanks

Old 05-15-2003, 01:02 PM   #5
    Fuchsia_Lay
    Inactive

Fuchsia_Lay HB User
    I didn't think it could be reversed. ???
    I would really do your homework on this one and get more than 1 opinion definitely !
    I had a nissen several years back - doing pretty good

Closed Thread