It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• H-pylori

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-23-2006, 09:21 AM   #61
    ZoloftMan
    (male)

ZoloftMan HB User
    Re: H-pylori

Harry, I forgot to advise to that my cholesterol and trycs were high during my last check-up. I started taking flaxseed caps but my trycs. remained high. That too should be helped by Primal Defense.

You are correct, I have to take control of my health.

Aaron

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2006, 03:47 AM   #62
    ZoloftMan
    (male)

ZoloftMan HB User

Hi Harry, my doctor had me on Prevacid a week before the PrevPac to reduce acid. The last couple of days, I have had lots acid which I think caused burning in my stomach. I had a follow-up visit with him last week but his office had to cancel due him being out of the office.

I starting taking one Prevacid again this morning to reduce the acid (sometimes when I eat and burp, I get acid in my throat with a little food). Will this interact with my Primal Defense pill?

Thanks,
    Aaron

Last edited by ZoloftMan; 07-25-2006 at 03:58 AM.

Old 07-25-2006, 07:28 AM   #63
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Aaron,
    Primal Defense is one that works OK with some acid in the stomach-- that is why the maker says "Best taken on an empty stomach" -- less acid is then in the stomach and all probiotic --I think act better. Eating causes acid to be secreted. Some probiotics are not very effective when taken with a meal even though the makers say take with a meal.

The treatment for ulcers caused by H pylori bacteria is usually to take a PPI for a month or so after taking the PrevPac -- because the antibiotics are so strong -- they can result in causing a form of gastritis. But we are all so different and all Doctors don't treat H.pylori bacteria the same!

I get gastritis also every time I am on 5 days of antibiotics.

A good PPI -- OTC is Prilosec-- cheaper also.

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 07-25-2006 at 07:30 AM.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:53 AM   #64
    Canyondweller
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User

Prilosec is also available generically but only by prescription. The pharmacist showed it to me. It requires a Dr. prescription though but is covered as a generic if you have any medical coverage. It is 40mg, I think as opposed to 20mg OTC Prilosec. Something to check out and same some money on. It is a good idea to take probiotics if you take antibiotics or at least right after. Also, there is some controversy that going off the PPI's causes almost a withdrawal effect as the acid starts to take over again. But check with your pharmacist and see what they have that might save money. Prilosec is still pretty expensive OTC even a discount stores.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:18 PM   #65
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

When I had acid reflux in 1999 and was treated by a Gastro Doctor, the recommend dose by the maker Astra Merck published infomation was 20mg worked to heal GERD and taking 40 mg did not offer any significant benefit--in a double blind study.

I think $25 for a 42 day supply of 20mg(3 --14 day packs) is relatively cheap in contast to presciption PPIs.

Not only that I had less side effects with Prilosec than with the others tried--- Privacid, Nexium and Aciphex.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:26 PM   #66
    ZoloftMan
    (male)

ZoloftMan HB User
    Talking Re: H-pylori

Thanks to you both! My doctor never told me about after the antibiotics were completed.

Harry, I picked up more yogurt today.....

Regards,
    Aaron

Old 07-29-2006, 01:54 PM   #67
    eric12345
    (male)

eric12345 HB User

hi zolftman how you feeling did the anti biotics work??? do u feel better??? are u tired or weak becuase of them???? btw how old are you aaron.....

hi harry...how is it going????

Old 07-29-2006, 04:06 PM   #68
    ZoloftMan
    (male)

ZoloftMan HB User
    Post Re: H-pylori

Hey there Eric,

I guess the antibiotics worked, actually too well in that they took my stomach for a ride. Harry hooked me up with Primal Defense Probiotics and I am currently taking one per day to add the destroyed good bacteria back into my body. I started taking Prevacid again 5 days ago and I think it made things worse...still some bloating, pain and feeling like I want to barf plus an almost constipation like feeling.......

However, today I read a closed thread in which tons of people have been taking 250mg of Magnessium (spelling?) Oxide with good results. I think that I will start that thread again so feel free to jump in.

How are you doing?

Zman

Old 07-30-2006, 08:20 AM   #69
    eric12345
    (male)

eric12345 HB User

zman do you have other symptoms such as light headed...legs tired....harder to breath....all this caused to me by biaxin...worse drug ever!!!

Old 07-30-2006, 10:16 AM   #70
    ZoloftMan
    (male)

ZoloftMan HB User

I have had some of it all...... Just feeling weak too.....

I elevated the head of my bed last night and I felt better this morning. I got that recommendation from another thread in that for whatever reason, the head of my bed was lower than the foot of it. Thus, keeping the acid in my stomach instead of nesting in my esaphogas through out the night.

Also, I started taking 250mg of Magnesium Oxide yesterday.

Harry and I having dialogue on a new post. It's entitle GERD: Off and On Sinus...

Regards,
    Aaron

Old 07-31-2006, 05:16 AM   #71
    eric12345
    (male)

eric12345 HB User

hi aaron i forgot to ask you and harry...as a result of h.ploryi did you guys lose any weight??? and if so how much...let me know

Old 07-31-2006, 04:10 PM   #72
    ZoloftMan
    (male)

ZoloftMan HB User

I have lost about 20lbs. But that due to diet change (less eating at my favorite southern restuarant) and not much of an appetite.

However, on the other hand, my metabolism has picked up because I have been eating like a horse (Not junk food though), but have not gain much weight back.

Regards,
    Aaron

Old 07-31-2006, 04:22 PM   #73
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I never lost any weight after or during taking Biaxin.

Harry

Old 07-31-2006, 04:45 PM   #74
    ZoloftMan
    (male)

ZoloftMan HB User

So, it did not affect your appetite and such? Trust me, I did not feel like eating when feeling nauseated and stomach cramps.

I woke up feeling nauseated this morning......

Seems like a nervous stomach runs in my family in that I talked to my sister today and my aunt had to go to the doctor because of her stomach. My Daddy was recently under treatment for a bleeding ulcer. The doctor treated him with Nexium.

Zman

Last edited by ZoloftMan; 07-31-2006 at 04:46 PM.

Old 07-31-2006, 05:53 PM   #75
    eric12345
    (male)

eric12345 HB User

for me becuase i lost weight because of the h.ploryi and gastirits
    thats why i asked you if h.ploryi or ulcer...or gastirits made you lose weight

Closed Thread